Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue DR550HD Camera Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. I asked the same question on its Amazon site and got a half-dozen similar answers - more or less along the lines of "it creates its own WiFi". Of course, none of them reported the product having any glitches at all..... :rolleyes:

Thanks. I asked the same question on its Amazon site and got a half-dozen similar answers - more or less along the lines of "it creates its own WiFi". Of course, none of them reported the product having any glitches at all..... :rolleyes:

Bluetooth and WiFi are different standards for wireless communication. Bluetooth technology is useful when transferring information between two or more devices that are near each other when speed is not an issue, such as telephones, printers, modems and headsets. It is best suited to low-bandwidth applications like transfering sound data with telephones (i.e. with a Bluetooth headset) or byte data with hand-held computers (transferring files) or keyboard and mice.

Wi-Fi is better suited for operating full-scale networks because it enables a faster connection, better range from the base station, and better security (if configured properly) than Bluetooth.

Mic Grille.jpg
I just installed a DR550GW-2CH with the little Power Magic Pro UPS. Everything works fine although I am waiting for a shielded cable before I add the rear camera. The WIFI connection drops every few minutes and is choppy but that doesn't matter much to me. If your WIFI fails to work try upgrading the firmware to the latest version. I used continuous power and ground from the unused connector behind the microphone grille and switched power from the yellow wire with the green (or gray) stripe in the rear view mirror connector. I had to toss the little box the UPS came in due to space limitations and mount the circuit board directly to the inside surface of the microphone grille with rubber standoffs. The GPS locked on after about 45 minutes of driving and is accurate. The frame rate appears to slow a bit when the scene is complicated but the Blackvue viewer works well and the micro SD card accepts any changes made through the viewer software.

View attachment 44432I just installed a DR550GW-2CH with the little Power Magic Pro UPS. Everything works fine although I am waiting for a shielded cable before I add the rear camera. The WIFI connection drops every few minutes and is choppy but that doesn't matter much to me. If your WIFI fails to work try upgrading the firmware to the latest version. I used continuous power and ground from the unused connector behind the microphone grille and switched power from the yellow wire with the green (or gray) stripe in the rear view mirror connector. I had to toss the little box the UPS came in due to space limitations and mount the circuit board directly to the inside surface of the microphone grille with rubber standoffs. The GPS locked on after about 45 minutes of driving and is accurate. The frame rate appears to slow a bit when the scene is complicated but the Blackvue viewer works well and the micro SD card accepts any changes made through the viewer software.

Why did you bother with the Power Magic box? There should be no worries about running down the 12v as it pulls power from the main pack. I just hooked my DR550 power cable to the available always on 12v (as you know...early builds only) under the microphone grille (with in-line fuse in place of course), and let Parking Mode do its thing. Works great. Note that I have not let my S sit for more that 24 hours. YMMV.

And, yes, GPS is spotty. Do wait for the shielded cable (though as I had done the install already I got a couple of ferrite cores and sanpped them onto the cable close to the rear camera and in the A pillar (so close to the exterior rear mirror where the antenna supposedly resides).

Anyone having problems with corrupt cards? I've tried 3 different ones now and I randomly get the "check SD card" voice prompt. Thought maybe it was heat related at first, but it also happens in the morning sometimes after I pull out of the garage on a cool morning.

I updated firmware to the latest, and that didn't help.

I think the problem is the Tesla windshield blocks the GPS signal so much that the camera simply can't find the satellites reliably enough. It does the same for radar detectors mounted on the windshield. It must be coated/implanted with some RF blocking material. It took a month for my camera (650 HD 2 channel ) to sync the time and it's a minute off. It rarely shows speeds on the videos, for presumably the same GPS connectivity reasons.

I have absolutely no problem receiving GPS immediately. But I mounted the Blackvue camera a bit to the right of the center housing.
The Power Magic box also prevents draining the 12V battery if the car is parked for a long period.

Would you consider posting some pictures of exactly where you have your Blackvue mounted? I think I might have my installer try to mount mine in the exact same spot, since you're not having GPS issues.

Thanks!

I've had my BlackVue DR500GW-HD for a few years now. when I first got it everything worked. last year I noticed that I no longer had GPS. firmware updates didn't help with that. about 3 months ago my video files stopped deleting/overwriting the oldest files with the new video files. I can still connect via Wi-Fi and watch live video but it appears that's all I can do.

550 2ch Ongoing Issues
Have not had GPS for months but I realize that is due to the Models Windscreen
More annoying is I no longer get any voice prompts nor audio recording
I emailed Pitttasoft and got the generic "format card load latest firmware.

After I explained I had tried this countless times the response was "it is too expensive for you to send the Camera back"
OK so what do you want me to do..................Crickets

This is the biggest drawback buying from Asia no support

I even offered to buy a new front camera...more crickets.

I've had my BlackVue DR500GW-HD for a few years now. when I first got it everything worked. last year I noticed that I no longer had GPS. firmware updates didn't help with that. about 3 months ago my video files stopped deleting/overwriting the oldest files with the new video files. I can still connect via Wi-Fi and watch live video but it appears that's all I can do.
I have a question on the re-writing feature, how do you enable this?
If I let my cameras (DR650GW-2CH 1080p) run non stop, for 24 Hrs, the card (64 Gig), fills up and the cameras stop recording. If I press the format button on the front camera, it erases the files on the card and it causes the error "please check card". I have to remove the card, place it in my PC and copy the BlackVue folder/files back onto the SD card before the camera sees the card. If I format the card using the PC program, it also removes ALL files and I have to put back the BlackVue directory.
v.07.16 camera firmware, back onto the SD card.
Everything works but the GPS and the over write feature.

I have a question on the re-writing feature, how do you enable this?
If I let my cameras (DR650GW-2CH 1080p) run non stop, for 24 Hrs, the card (64 Gig), fills up and the cameras stop recording. If I press the format button on the front camera, it erases the files on the card and it causes the error "please check card". I have to remove the card, place it in my PC and copy the BlackVue folder/files back onto the SD card before the camera sees the card. If I format the card using the PC program, it also removes ALL files and I have to put back the BlackVue directory.
v.07.16 camera firmware, back onto the SD card.
Everything works but the GPS and the over write feature.

how did I enable the overwrite? it just did it when the microSD card was full. That's why I didn't notice it at first. I had to replace my microSD card to get it working again since the original one was trash. (couldn't even do anything with it when plugged into my computer)

@dsmith2189
Thanks for the reply,
My original BlackVue:
Software: v2.41-HD-E
Firmware version: H:\1.004-650GE-E
============================================
Updated:
Software ver. 2.42-HD-E
Firmware ver. 1.007-650GW-E

I am using the DELKIN 64 GB, UHS-I-375X Micro SD card, formatted to FAT32, Formatted at 58 GB.
My camera still stops recording to the card when it has only 18.5 GB of data. All voice prompts discontinued as well.
Lights on the camera still work, just no new recordings or re-writes.
(The 'Speed' information finally showed up on the files but still no GPS info.)
My current files on the card are:
1- Application
2- Config
3- Doc
4- Record
5- Software
6- System

Update:
There is a newer version of the BlackVue software.
v1.009
http://www.blackvue.co.kr/en/contents/sub3.asp

To update firmware, unzip the v1.009 files.

Browse to the new files, & to the directory, 'Software'
The directory will have the necessary Windows desktop software.
Create a 'shortcut' to this file. 'BlackVueSetup(HD)E_2.41.exe'
Send the shortcut to your desktop.
This will allow you to launch and run the latest version of BlackVue windows software.

Turn off power to camera, wait until the capacitor drops off all the power (watch the pilot light),
Remove the SD card.

Insert the SD card into the PC
Using the new BlackVue windows application, 'BlackVueSetup(HD)E_2.41.exe',
format your SD card.

This will wipe off everything on the SD card and format it as a FAT32.
(The format function on the camera, only deletes your camera's MP4 files.)

Navigate to your SD card using the PC File Explorer and copy & paste the new BlackVue directory & sub directories:
to the SD card.

1- Application
2- Config
3- Doc
4- Record
5- Software
6- System

Remove SD card from the PC.

Turn off power to camera, wait until the capacitor drops off all the power (watch the pilot light),
Insert the SD card.

Power up the camera and the firmware will be updated.

Remove the SD card.

Launch the BlackVue software on the PC.
Insert the SD card into the PC,
Make the necessary changes,,,
Time Zone, Sensativity, ect. to the new SD card software.

Remove SD card from the PC

With the power off to the camera,
Insert the SD card.

Power up the camera.

This final step will update your new settings, that you made to the SD card, to the camera.

A bit lengthy, but mine is now working!

Last edited:
Where did you find the new firmware? I didn't see it on the blackvue website. I just installed a DR550 and everything works for both cameras but the time is off by a few hours.

Blackvue completely revised their web site. Look for Support in the upper right. Hover over and select Downloads tab. Then scroll down to Firmware section. Expand the listing by clicking on the plus sign (+). Select your model and computer type and download. UnZip and follow the instructions.

I had the same date and time problem of my DR650GW-2CH dash cam. This is an easy fix.

Just slap the micro-SD card into the computer, search for the folders called Record and System. Empty both folders. Insert card back in the cam and it'll fix you problem. Make sure you also update to the correct time zone.