Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BlackVue DR750S-2Ch Install Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. Definitely measuring the right wire. I’m an electrical engineer for a living :) I’ll be just using wire nuts and connect to the pigtail. No cutting of any wires. Gonna just bring it into service and see if they can explain why I’m not seeing 12V

Turns out it was a blown fuse. I didn’t pull any out to inspect but just checked connectivity from the terminals on top. Must have somehow missed the one for the tow brake connector. It’s F111 under the hood by the 12V battery.

Attachments

• FE56BF2D-8C86-47A0-A555-1EEB149F0FB9.jpeg
    FE56BF2D-8C86-47A0-A555-1EEB149F0FB9.jpeg
    395 KB · Views: 159
Yeah. Definitely measuring the right wire. I’m an electrical engineer for a living :) I’ll be just using wire nuts and connect to the pigtail. No cutting of any wires. Gonna just bring it into service and see if they can explain why I’m not seeing 12V
I did battle with my OBCD port and gave up and finally switched to the tow hitch harness - mine works like a charm - no power issues at all.

Are you doing a current test or are you plugging in and not getting power?

I spliced on connectors so I could easily detach if needed - and have had ZERO problems.

Good luck.

I did battle with my OBCD port and gave up and finally switched to the tow hitch harness - mine works like a charm - no power issues at all.

Are you doing a current test or are you plugging in and not getting power?

I spliced on connectors so I could easily detach if needed - and have had ZERO problems.

Good luck.

Must not have seen my most recent post. All good now. Thanks!

Finished the install this morning after getting my X back from a tint and PPF wrap job. I installed the camera a few weeks ago but hadn’t had a chance to get the power source done.

I used this 200W inverter by Bestek.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00U71XJ0K

The beauty is, it has a cigarette lighter outlet, 2 USB ports, and two AC outlets. Wired to the 20A tow brake connector circuit is perfect, since that gives you 240W, with the Blackvue powered by the cigarette lighter outlet and a mobile hotspot by a USB port. This way the camera is always on, and the mobile hotspot allows auto-upload to the cloud and allows me to get a live view at anytime. The two AC outlets are just icing on the cake.

The Blackvue power was routed to the passenger side, where I mounted the inverter and hotspot. The inverter, which uses a cigarette lighter adapter for its own power, was connected to an extension cord, routed through the dash to the driver’s side, where it was spliced into the 12V/20A tow brake connector using wire nuts and tucked away.

Attachments

• 47994DF0-1DC3-4798-B0B5-3D6E0BE0B462.jpeg
    47994DF0-1DC3-4798-B0B5-3D6E0BE0B462.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 123
  • DCECCB69-FAD6-4937-B91E-6DA979708BA5.jpeg
    DCECCB69-FAD6-4937-B91E-6DA979708BA5.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 6CB43781-4797-45E4-9CEE-260DB1F967BA.jpeg
    6CB43781-4797-45E4-9CEE-260DB1F967BA.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 115
  • FB27C4AB-86AB-40C6-8341-8FF12B70697F.jpeg
    FB27C4AB-86AB-40C6-8341-8FF12B70697F.jpeg
    416.4 KB · Views: 113
Need help on installing the rear camera on a model x dec 2017. I have a problem getting the cable from the car to the trunk through the hole in the car frame. I am able to fish a tie wrap but the crearance between the car frame and the existing wires is very tight and I am unable to get the cable plug through. I did not find any video that would help with my current setup. Did anybody had a similar issue and was able to find a way to get the cable through.

Need help on installing the rear camera on a model x dec 2017. I have a problem getting the cable from the car to the trunk through the hole in the car frame. I am able to fish a tie wrap but the crearance between the car frame and the existing wires is very tight and I am unable to get the cable plug through. I did not find any video that would help with my current setup. Did anybody had a similar issue and was able to find a way to get the cable through.
I've recently installed the rear camera. Are you referring to the flexible conduit? Or are you referring to the trunk plastic trim? Do you have a picture of what you are referring to?

I've recently installed the rear camera. Are you referring to the flexible conduit? Or are you referring to the trunk plastic trim? Do you have a picture of what you are referring to?
Many thanks for replying! I am talking about passing the camera cable from the FWD liner to the flexible conduit. The car wires are passing through a small oval opening in the car frame. This hole just has enough additional space to pass a tie wrap (but not the camera connector). The additional space is blocked by a white plastic surrounding the car wires. Did you get your camera wire through this hole or is there another way to get the cable to the flexible conduit.

Also some videos are showing that they are able to fish a string between the trunk black weather strips. On my car, when looking between the strips, I can see my roof liner that is glued to the metal frame with no visible access to the car inside.

Sorry did not take pictures as it is very difficult to see through the flexible conduit hole.

I didn't need to use a cable-tie to get the cable from the cabin to the flex tubing. I managed to do it by just disconnecting the flex tubing from the frame and fishing the dashcam wire through.

Once fished through to the frame, it will take some effort/time to fish it through the flex tubing, due to the connector plug, but it should be possible. There are a lot of wires going through the flex tubing, and it's entirely possible that Tesla added additional wires after 2016?

Anyway, once it's through the flex tubing, you don't have to remove the hard plastic trim in the rear hatch if you use the cable-tie method. This is the step where the cable-tie comes in handy so that you can (blindly) find a gap under the hard plastic trim to fish the cable through. Then you can re-connect the flex tubing to the body frame.

It took me a long time to figure all this out when I installed it almost 2 years ago, so I didn't end up capturing it all on video. Here is a partial video of that part of the install:

I didn't need to use a cable-tie to get the cable from the cabin to the flex tubing. I managed to do it by just disconnecting the flex tubing from the frame and fishing the dashcam wire through.

Once fished through to the frame, it will take some effort/time to fish it through the flex tubing, due to the connector plug, but it should be possible. There are a lot of wires going through the flex tubing, and it's entirely possible that Tesla added additional wires after 2016?

Anyway, once it's through the flex tubing, you don't have to remove the hard plastic trim in the rear hatch if you use the cable-tie method. This is the step where the cable-tie comes in handy so that you can (blindly) find a gap under the hard plastic trim to fish the cable through. Then you can re-connect the flex tubing to the body frame.

It took me a long time to figure all this out when I installed it almost 2 years ago, so I didn't end up capturing it all on video. Here is a partial video of that part of the install:

My problem is that my cable is not even at the flex tubing yet. The cable is still at the FWD and I am trying to get it to the flex tubing. I am not sure if Tesla changes the framing on X ~Dec 2017 but the only way I can see to get the cable to the back is through a small hole in the car frame that is used to pass all the wires going to the flex tubing. My problem is those cables are taking almost all the available opening. The opening is large enough for a tie wrap but not for the camera plug. Did you pass the cable through this hole in the car frame and did you have enough clearance?

I don't recall how I got my cable to the back, but it was a March 2018 production X, so don't believe anything has changed.
Good to know you were able to get it through with a newer model. I must be missing something. Do you remember if you got it through this hole (with the other cables) or through another way that I am not aware of? I will retry with a large string over the weekend to see if I can get it through. I just don’t want to damage the car cables. If I still fail, I will try to take some pictures to better see my problem.

Has anyone used this OBD power cable specifically designed for the BlackVue dash cams on their Model X?
The description says it is 10 ft long. I want to make sure that is long enough to get to the OBD port with all concealing.

Snap N Go Quick Hardwiring Kit Parking Mode Continuously Recording For BlackVue Dash Cameras Compatible DR-900S DR-750S DR-650S DR490 DR590W DR590 DR450 DR430 1CH 2CH https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BCWX2MM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_i_OwhiBb4BX2MRY

@BlueBird, if my memory is correct (this was almost 2 years ago), I too threaded the dashcam cable through the hole with the existing wiring harness. I don't recall that being the most difficult part. I found threading it through the flex-tubing to be much harder. I hope that helps.

@ModlS3XY, looks like a neat/convenient OBD II port adapter. 2 years ago, I simply soldered my own adapter (no other choice) by splicing a few different products on amazon. I have a video for that too, but I think it's pretty straight forward.

Has anyone used this OBD power cable specifically designed for the BlackVue dash cams on their Model X?
The description says it is 10 ft long. I want to make sure that is long enough to get to the OBD port with all concealing.

Snap N Go Quick Hardwiring Kit Parking Mode Continuously Recording For BlackVue Dash Cameras Compatible DR-900S DR-750S DR-650S DR490 DR590W DR590 DR450 DR430 1CH 2CH https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BCWX2MM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_i_OwhiBb4BX2MRY
I did install this Snap N Go on my Model X without any problem. It is a very good alternative to continuous power. 7DayCam was also very responsive and professional. I did run the cable in a separate conduit that I fixed using 3M 1/4" Attachment Tape. No problem with the cable length as long as you go straight up (not through the front window and back up.

I did install this Snap N Go on my Model X without any problem. It is a very good alternative to continuous power. 7DayCam was also very responsive and professional. I did run the cable in a separate conduit that I fixed using 3M 1/4" Attachment Tape. No problem with the cable length as long as you go straight up (not through the front window and back up.
Thanks! What do you mean by straight up?
Can you run it through the windshield channel back, then to the driver side and through the trim above the driver side door trim and then down to the OBD?

And please share a picture if you don’t mind.

@BlueBird, if my memory is correct (this was almost 2 years ago), I too threaded the dashcam cable through the hole with the existing wiring harness. I don't recall that being the most difficult part. I found threading it through the flex-tubing to be much harder. I hope that helps.

@ModlS3XY, looks like a neat/convenient OBD II port adapter. 2 years ago, I simply soldered my own adapter (no other choice) by splicing a few different products on amazon. I have a video for that too, but I think it's pretty straight forward.
Thank you @vandacca, I will try again this weekend with a larger string (diameter of the camera plug). I was just losing my patience last weekend and wanted to confirm I was doing the right thing (without damaging anything). Also thank you for the warming on the fun to come with the flex-tubing. Just curious if you will be going to the Tesla Club Reif Estates Winery event on June 23. I am thinking of joining the Ontario Tesla club.

Thank you @vandacca, I will try again this weekend with a larger string (diameter of the camera plug). I was just losing my patience last weekend and wanted to confirm I was doing the right thing (without damaging anything). Also thank you for the warming on the fun to come with the flex-tubing. Just curious if you will be going to the Tesla Club Reif Estates Winery event on June 23. I am thinking of joining the Ontario Tesla club.
I haven't been going to the Ontario Tesla Club meetings because they are generally held north of Toronto, and I'm in Hamilton. Not the most convenient location for me. Furthermore, they have recently started charging for membership, so I had a hard time justifying joining considering I probably wouldn't go to many of the meetings. Regardless, I already have plans and I can't make the June 23rd event. Sounds like fun though, as I've done a lot of winery tours in that area.

I haven't been going to the Ontario Tesla Club meetings because they are generally held north of Toronto, and I'm in Hamilton. Not the most convenient location for me. Furthermore, they have recently started charging for membership, so I had a hard time justifying joining considering I probably wouldn't go to many of the meetings. Regardless, I already have plans and I can't make the June 23rd event. Sounds like fun though, as I've done a lot of winery tours in that area.
Not a problem, I am also 6 hours from the event. I was just curious as we already chat few times on this forum and it could have been an opportunity to shake hands. The Ontario club appears to be more active than the Quebec chapter and we are overdue for some winery visits and a Tesla trip weekend.

Reactions: vandacca
I have been using fishing tape I got from home depot. It's a thick flat metal tape and I was even able to get this through the flexible conduit to pull the cable. I also used it to fish the cable through the frame to the beginning of the flexible tube. As vandacca mentioned this was not the most difficult part as most don't remember this. It should go to the same place where the cable bundle goes through. The biggest issue I had was getting the cable to the rear window. vandacca's video showed the cable tie method which I spent an hour on. At one point I gave up and tried to pull the trim instead and I failed at that completely. I couldn't even get one clip off at all, so I had to go back to the cable tie method.

It turned out that there seems to be 2 layers of metal in the hatch that I kept going to the wrong layer which was too flat to get anything thicker than a cable tie through. I finally managed to expand the trim much more to make sure it's actually getting to the right layer. All in all I probably spent 4-5 hrs if not more with numerous cuts on the fingers.