Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BlackVue DR750S Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA

Be sure to watch at 60FPS 1080P

Here is my video review of the new DR750S. A plethora of improvements and new features. I plan to install this dashcam on the 3 once I take delivery in the fall. Will have a video install for that!

The DR750S can be purchased from DashCamBros, I had positive customer experience with them, they are an authorized reseller. I would be careful from 3rd party sellers that can be found on Amazon as they often don't carry warranty.

I would also recommend the polarized filter, I have it on my DR650S on the X.

Here is my other video about the cloud feature: Cloud Camera for your Car

Please let me know if you have any questions, I hope I covered everything.

I installed mine last night. I checked some recordings from the drive today and was not impressed with the image quality.

Maybe my expectation was too high. It can only see the license plate of the car in front, and only in close proximity.

• Informative
Reactions: PRSIST
I don't think any dashcam can read clearly license plate of moving cars slightly further away. Maybe the next gen camera sensor or 4K dashcam in the future. I'll stick with my dr650s for now. The 60fps front and the 1080p in the rear is nice but it doesnt justify the $300+ for the upgrade. It is not like the new camera can do wonders in reading far away license plates and such.

I don't think any dashcam can read clearly license plate of moving cars slightly further away. Maybe the next gen camera sensor or 4K dashcam in the future. I'll stick with my dr650s for now. The 60fps front and the 1080p in the rear is nice but it doesnt justify the $300+ for the upgrade. It is not like the new camera can do wonders in reading far away license plates and such.

Unless you get some sort of LPR camera on your car, you will only be able to capture license plates between 1-2 in car disntance. 60 FPS eliminates blur in the capture

When comparing comparable models of the BlackVue and ThinkWare cameras by multiple resources, the ThinkWare images are consistently more clear than the BlackVue, specifically when looking to read license plates.

Tesla Dashcam Showdown: Thinkware F770 vs. BlackVue DR650GW

However, so far only the BlackVue offers the cloud services, which I am still struggling to determine the value of having, especially if picture image is compromised to some degree.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyG
When comparing comparable models of the BlackVue and ThinkWare cameras by multiple resources, the ThinkWare images are consistently more clear than the BlackVue, specifically when looking to read license plates.

Tesla Dashcam Showdown: Thinkware F770 vs. BlackVue DR650GW

However, so far only the BlackVue offers the cloud services, which I am still struggling to determine the value of having, especially if picture image is compromised to some degree.

I haven't tried thinkware but the cloud feature was something I found very valuable. I am curious how the specs of the new thinkware line up with the DR750S

Car Cam Central always has good comparison reviews, and I'm waiting for their review of the next gen one cams. They also had this discussion of which SD card to get, which is slightly dated, so prices are old, but still a good discussion. Thus you may save money on getting a dashcam with the standard sized card and then purchasing a separate larger card off Amazon:

• Informative
Reactions: BigD0g and JohnnyG
Car Cam Central always has good comparison reviews, and I'm waiting for their review of the next gen one cams. They also had this discussion of which SD card to get, which is slightly dated, so prices are old, but still a good discussion. Thus you may save money on getting a dashcam with the standard sized card and then purchasing a separate larger card off Amazon:

I had an interesting experience with SD cards on my BlackVue. I was able to use a Trendnet card without an issue on my 650S but the same card resulted in errors on my 650, hence I switched over to BlackVue cards which worked fine.

The upgrade to the 750S from the 650S is like the upgrade from the iPhone 6S to iPhone 7.

I wonder if it is worth waiting for Tesla to release their dashcam functionality and hope it is as feature rich as what is offered here.

But I did find this review interesting, and see the 750 offers image quality improvements over the 650. I guess not enough to upgrade perhaps, but it looks more comparable to the Thinkware in the other linked video.

What do people typically use for cellular connection to take advantage of parking notifications, and how much bandwidth per month is recommended?

Reactions: Quick2Judge
I wonder if it is worth waiting for Tesla to release their dashcam functionality and hope it is as feature rich as what is offered here.

But I did find this review interesting, and see the 750 offers image quality improvements over the 650. I guess not enough to upgrade perhaps, but it looks more comparable to the Thinkware in the other linked video.

What do people typically use for cellular connection to take advantage of parking notifications, and how much bandwidth per month is recommended?

It sends you a notification if an impact is detected while your car is parked and you can also visit view a live feed and recorded video remotely. I am on freedompop that provides 1 GB of data for free per month which is suffice.

It sends you a notification if an impact is detected while your car is parked and you can also visit view a live feed and recorded video remotely. I am on freedompop that provides 1 GB of data for free per month which is suffice.
Where did you get the hotspot from? I was looking on Amazon, and didn't even see one there that isn't third party and/or 500 MB....

Edit: looks like the Freedompop website has some options...!

Where did you get the hotspot from? I was looking on Amazon, and didn't even see one there that isn't third party and/or 500 MB....

Edit: looks like the Freedompop website has some options...!

This is a good place to get it: FreedomPop Netgear Fuse LTE Hotspot

Preconfigured and everything for 1GB per month free. But it takes a while to arrive.

If you already have a hotspot you can get there SIM card that runs off ATT networks for 700 MB per month: FreedomPop Zoom 4G LTE GSM SIM (AT&T)