TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Blackvue Motion Sensitivity - what does it do?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by rog, Jun 8, 2016.

1. rog

rog Member

I have asked the topic title question to the Blackvue support, but didn't really get an answer... What does the setting do really? I have my car parked in a garage for the day, and it is almost constantly recording video for even the smallest movements - e.g. a person walking by all the way to the other side of the parking garage. I have put the setting to 1 (very low), but nothing changes. Anyone any idea how I can make the camera less sensitive?

2. JPP

JPP Active Member

AFAIK the motion setting in Park mode uses the video input and decides if there is someone/something in the camera's field of view and turns on recording appropriately. I have mine cranked down low too--still get lots of recordings. Sorry--no additional wisdom....

3. Barry

Barry Member

A person or car going by will record even at the lowest settings. Sensitivity makes a difference when parking outside to prevent it from being triggered my leaves on the trees shaking or clouds moving.

4. rog

rog Member

So that means there is object recognition in the camera?

5. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

I'd rather record too much vs. too little... just toss what u don't need.

6. Barry

Barry Member

Not sure what you mean by object recognition, but it recognizes motion and the size of the object moving.

7. rog

rog Member

what I meant was: if it doesn't trigger by a flying leaf, but by a person walking by far in the distance, how does it know the difference? As mentioned, the sensitivity setting doesn't seem to have any influence - it triggers if anything moving is detected, even if that object is as small as a couple of pixels. So hence my question: what does the motion detection sensitivity really do?
    In my security cams, I can set that sensitivity too - and there, it is obvious what it does: the less sensitive, the more "extreme" the motion has to be for it to trigger. This doesn't seem to be the case in the Blackvue.

I agree on "rather too many videos than not enough" - but a reasonable noise filter would be nice. I don't need a video of someone walking by 100 feet away from my car.