Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue or like dash cams please step in. Few questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Year you have - 2014
2. Any issue with battery dying? - None
3. Any tesla warranty issues? - None
4. Does the big battery charge the small one if it starts to drain? - Yes

I bought the blackvue 650 dual channel system and did the install myself after seeing how my local installers did it. Reason why I chose to do it myself was cause they all seemed to just tuck the wires where they could and leave them exposed on the top of the windshield. While the wire position kept it form being seen by anyone inside the car anyone waling by would see the wires and the sticky clips and I wanted a clean seamless install. I routed the front wires through the top headliner (no pano), and tapped the ODB connector for a constant power source then ran the back wire under the door sill. Once at the back I removed the c-pillar cover and parcel shelf rack and routed the wire up to the lift gate and jumped the gap (only place you can see the wire). Other than that one place in the back there are no wires showing and it looks like it came as part of the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Indpowr
1. late 2016 (last AP1 cars)
2. Installed only yesterday :). F770 front and back. Installed myself. Hardwired (mirror wire for switched 12v, microphone for constant 12v).
3. Don't know. Hope not. Did not splice any wire.
4. didn't know. But great to read other posters' replies...

July 2016
No
No, but servicecenter always unplugs the camera if car is in for service.
Yes

I power mine from the mirror housing, just tapped into the power. No issues whatsoever, records in park for weeks.

I should also say I've got front and back.
Same set-up and experience for me, and I installed it myself using advice from this forum.

Good luck!

Reactions: gabeincal

Here's a much better option from Amazon (Prime!) for $15, is already pre-wired, and doesn't take "28-45 days" for delivery:

Amazon.com: GPSit OBD II OBD2 Power Adapter Harness: Car Electronics

I just ordered two for myself.

upload_2017-3-15_8-29-49.png

Thanks ! How much do they charge ?

Slightly long story
I was planning on a Blackvue for our Tesla, but hoping for a 1081i rear camera, so still waiting
As I recall, Sam quoted $125-150 labor for the 2 channel Blackvue install

Our son gave my wife a different dashcam and we kept it and had Audio Lab install that in my wife's car
That was a single camera ad they charged us $75 for the install
They did a great job

They also had a fair price on the Blackvue dashcam if you want to purchase there. If I get one I will buy it there and have them install. No question about warranty issues then

• Helpful
Reactions: DJ 240V
Examples of issues the service center tried to pin in the dashcam (I am not making this sh~it up).

- My app won't connect. .. maybe its the dashcam.
- AP says "Driver assistance features temporarily not available" - damn it must be the dashcam
- Pano rattles - "That HAS to be the dashcam"
- Charge port won't open - Dude, it's the dashcam interfering.
- Regen is poor on winter mornings - "Yeah dashcams do this"
- Footwell never gets warm - "Dashcam"
- AC is weak - "Dashcam"

Seriously!

If those are for real, I hope you filed a complaint with the SC manager or corporate. That's not ok

Reactions: vtvox
I don't know what the "formal process" of filing a complaint is. But, I have complained loud and well about my very poor local service center experience both here, and otherwise.

After the visit they send you a survey - I voiced my concerns on that too.

You could try tweeting Elon :) @elonmusk But seriously, I thought there used to be a contact customer support form on tesla.com but I'm not finding it now. Those answers are not acceptable and I'm sure corporate would agree. If the local manager isn't responding go over his/her head. They aren't independently owned after all

You could try tweeting Elon :) @elonmusk But seriously, I thought there used to be a contact customer support form on tesla.com but I'm not finding it now. Those answers are not acceptable and I'm sure corporate would agree. If the local manager isn't responding go over his/her head. They aren't independently owned after all

Thanks, I deleted my prev. message because I just emailed the svc center to give them another try. As far as tweeting Elon, I have, he never replies or does anything with them.

I am pretty close to fed up with Tesla at this point. I'm at the 2 year ownership mark. I hate to eat the initial depreciation and sell the car. But holding on for now. I've gone from keeping the car for 8 years, and being a fanboy and trading in my AP1 for AP2, to definitely sell at 4 years, and not buying another Tesla. I am hoping they don't push me to selling it right now, and bitching about it. (Well technically I'm already bitching about it).

And before you discount me as "yet another complainer", Here are my fanboy creds: I've maxed every single referral program, except the last one - where I actively told wannaba tesla owners to wait until tesla gets it's sh~t together.

My disappointments,
- Poor service experience
- High repair costs (which I haven't dealt with directly, but it's a matter of probability that affects every tesla owner)
- General shoddy quality
- Low cost of EV ownership (which is a total lie)
- Very poor communication

Untitled.png

Last edited:
April 2016
No
No, but servicecenter always unplugs the camera if car is in for service.
Yes

I feed my blackvue from the OBD-port under the steering wheel and left the car for weeks, camera almost records constantly in parking mode. No issues.
I am a newbie here. I just installed my Blackvue 2 CH system and have powered it through my cigarette lighter which I do not regard as the best choice. What is OBD? What other options do you suggest? Also there is no power now in my 2015 TS in the mic box in the ceiling. I am looking for continuous power and think there might be a fuse box by the driver's door.
Another question-if the camera is on continuously-is there a problem when using a supercharger-does this surge too much power throughout the whole electrical system?

Did it myself in a couple hours, next one would probably take an hour.
I am a newbie here. I just installed my Blackvue 2 CH system and have powered it through my cigarette lighter which I do not regard as the best choice. What is OBD? What other options do you suggest? Also there is no power now in my 2015 TS in the mic box in the ceiling. I am looking for continuous power and think there might be a fuse box by the driver's door.
Another question-if the camera is on continuously-is there a problem when using a supercharger-does this surge too much power throughout the whole electrical system?

1. Year you have:

2. Any issue with battery dying?:
Yep, but Tesla batteries die regularly 12-18 months anyway.

3. Any tesla warranty issues?:
Not yet at least LOL, although for every single random issue the service center tries to blame the dashcam. Most of the times I laugh and repeat what they said, and they realize how stupid they sound when they say that.

4. Does the big battery charge the small one if it starts to drain?

Yeah, but Tesla cycles the 12v battery like 5-6 times in a day anyway (really really high)

Long story short, get a dashcam! Any dashcam. Don't wait, do it! You need it.
Any problems during supercharging on trips with any surging of power that might damage dashcam?

The OBD Port is on your left knee under the steering wheel. It is just a connector. You can buy a blank connector for 2$ and solder ground and +12V to it to power the blackview. Easy and clean solution and you can even unplug it if you like.

No problems with supercharging or leaving it plugged in for several days.

1-2013 and 2015 (2 cars)--Blackvue 550 and 650.
2-No problems with 12V battery--always charged up from traction pack.
Do NOT need the PowerMagic Pro.
3-NO warranty issues.
4-Yes...

Note--Blackvues run hot--later models are better, earlier models suffered for it (failures, cooked SD cards). My GPS is pretty much shot on my 550, but the windshields on our S85 and S70D really shield too much.
Any issues with camera on while supercharging? Surging of power a problem?