TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

bleeding our brakes

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Cricket88, Feb 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

does anyone here know whether our brakes can be bled conventionally like ICE cars via pumping the brakes while cracking bleeder screws?

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Yes yes you can

3. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

I'd recommend investing in a Griot's Garage vacuum bleeder. One man operation and not as messy.

4. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

Why? I wouldn't be the one doing the pump pump holding!

Jk good to know. I wasn't sure since our pedals also act as an on switch for the car, brake to hold, etc. didn't know if the hydraulics were actuated electronically vs, mechanically

5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Autopilot cars use Bosch's iBooster system - which basically means it's a traditional unboosted hydraulic system - but with an electric motor geared to press on the master cylinder piston in addition to the pedal pushing on it as normal.

6. Don85D

Don85D Member

I support the use of a vacuum pump for bleeding brakes. especially for older cars. The brake master cylinder piston works in a small range within the cylinder leaving the build up of corrosion possible in the areas that are not swept by the piston. Using the brake pedal to push fluid can create a leak in the piston seals when they enter the normally unused portion of the master cylinder bore. It's much better and easier to attach a hand vacuum pump at each wheel and just keep the master cylinder reservoir topped up during the bleeding process. I use the vacuum pump to suck out most of the old fluid from the master reservoir then fill it with fresh fluid before starting the bleeding process at the wheels. Changing fluid every two years seems like a good rule, in my opinion.

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 2
  7. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Thanks for this advice and info. Very helpful!

• Helpful x 1
  8. rknp85plus

rknp85plus Member

Sorry about the dumb question but where is the brake master cylinder reservoir located on a Tesla Model S? Just got my CPO Model S a few months ago so I am slowing trying to learn the mechanical anatomy of the vehicle.

9. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

If you remove the big plastic cover behind the frunk, it's next to the windshield washer filler.

• Like x 1
  10. Mysterylectric

Mysterylectric Supporting Member

While I see this is an old thread, I'd like to point something out: these cars can be bled like a conventional car, but there additional steps involved. Tesla (and Brembo) says to NOT use a vacuum system to bleed the brakes on these. Recommended procedure is to pressurize the system from the reservoir, and crack the bleeders, starting from the driver's side, outer bleeder, then the inner, and back to the outer. Repeat for passenger's front, driver's rear, and finally passenger's rear. Then, go back and do a manual bleed in the same fashion, starting with the driver's outer. Hope this helps.

Yes, you will use a ton of fluid going this route, but you are 100% guaranteed to flush all old fluid from the system.