Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind spot and relationship to surrounding vehicles shown on display ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just following up as did go with some blind spot mirrors that work well and IMHO look good and dare I say almost like they were there from factory:
IMG_1280.JPG

The corner at the outer edge is almost an exact match to the mirror. They can be adjusted up or down after installed and seems like they will stay in the desired position but never had this on other blind spot mirrors so just hoping I don't have to re-adjust them each time I wash the car but it does take a firm press to move them so think will be good.

Can search "Utopicar Blind Spot Long Design" to find them

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc and Magnets!
Consider aiming your mirrors outward like Avoiding The Blind Spot, since that's kinda tough to do while in motion on a 3, you can do the below:

What I start with is putting my head against the left window and adjusting the left mirror so that I can no longer see the side of the car. Then, move your head to the right the same distance away from the center and do the same for the right mirror. There's no point in having any of the side of your car visible in the side mirrors.

I had to do this since late 2003 when I got a Nissan 350Z and found it had massive blind spots in the rear corners. I do this on every car I drive now.

I still check over my shoulder almost every time prior to a lane change: SMOG (as I was taught in driver's ed): signal, mirror, over-the-shoulder, then go. About the only exceptions are if there's absolutely no traffic or if a lane just opened to my left or right.
I have an MX and came dangerously close to people in other lanes twice bc of the huge blind spot.

I did exactly what you describe above and now no problem. I too have had to make the above adjustment in other cars over the last few years. They need to update driver’s ed classes to describe mirror setting this way instead of the old way of having your car side visible in the side mirror.

Reactions: cwerdna
I agree setting the mirrors as they instruct out further is probably best if you don't have blind spot mirrors and/or a trusted and known good blind spot detection system. It is still a compromise. This has reminded me again the recommended method does not really work well for vehicles approaching quickly behind you that would overcome you and/or who are coming across multiple lanes quickly as I did give it a shot again. If people were not whipping in and out lanes and were slowly approaching as they show in the videos it would work great but that is not reality. Easy to have already looked in the rear view mirror and thus miss these events now at the corner of your bumper by the time get to the side mirror in some cases so a head turn would still really be a must rather than optional ... that is a long three step process. Also motorcycles are more difficult to catch with mirrors out as they often "hug" the line for some reason. Mirrors in a bit when backing out of garage is also better with objects close to car or maybe even kids around vehicle and we know nobody is going to re-adjust their mirrors for these different situations. There is a reason most people set their mirrors in rather than assume they are all misled... they want to see the side ... not part of it, the entire side ... it just so happens you cant see the entire side without now having created a blind spot when viewing from a single position. Its unnatural to set the mirrors out and thus not be able to see the entire side. Its like someone telling you to turn your rear view mirror to one side so only see part of the rear view. It can work but you then have to do something to make up for that. To each there own. If putting your head against the window and across the center console and then maybe a head turn too comes natural to truly get the same view edge to edge then by all means do so. Just glad I am back to being able to see everything that is happening across the entire side of my car with just a glance to side mirror and quick eye movement to look at the blind spot mirror ... its very fast. In big trucks a head turn really does nothing and have no rear view in some trucks/when towing enclosed trailer, so blind spot mirror setups really do work well and it is extremely rare I don't see almost anything coming even if it is a far out of the norm situation even using just the side mirror/blind spot mirror. I simply made the mistake of assuming Tesla had figured this out with its camera system and thus I still need a blind spot mirror to truly have overlapping views of what is going on around the vehicle.They might not look the greatest but had one on my Corvette so not afraid to stick one on a M3 ... my RAM truck came with a large one and it by far is the easiest vehicle to see what is going on at the sides. I think a blind spot mirror should be the default recommended solution, not the mirror adjustment.

Last edited:
Yes they are both set on by default and I have NO warnings (have service set I think, but never got confirm email and doesn't show up on app and can't chat or get any confirm w/o another hour on hold!)
Tesla better get their communication fixed with their customers when they need service. I like where the future is taking us with service but getting there is a rough ride.

Just following up as did go with some blind spot mirrors that work well and IMHO look good and dare I say almost like they were there from factory:
View attachment 430983

The corner at the outer edge is almost an exact match to the mirror. They can be adjusted up or down after installed and seems like they will stay in the desired position but never had this on other blind spot mirrors so just hoping I don't have to re-adjust them each time I wash the car but it does take a firm press to move them so think will be good.

Can search "Utopicar Blind Spot Long Design" to find them
Just installed these...so far really like them. Thanks for posting up a picture.

Not sure if gets worse at night too, but checked with the latest software carefully last night and its even worse than it was before. Tested twice by keeping a vehicle half way across my rear bumper and the display only showed the very front portion of a drawn vehicle a little less than what would appear to be a full car length behind my bumper ... it just don't work right really!

Rear visibility leaves a lot to be desired for me. I think the mirror housing is set too far back on the car. In relation to my seating position (6'2"), it severely limits outward / upward adjustability on the driver's side mirror. The rear view mirror is comically small, the rear shelf is too high. I might have to pop on a sick on mirror or get a convex replacement.

Even lamer you had to buy stick on mirrors because you couldn't figure out how to adjust the factory ones properly to eliminate the blind spot

Really? A driver who sits far enough back will have problems angling them out enough. I’m not even very tall, 5’9”, and I have that problem. Can’t get the driver’s side mirror angled out enough.

I mean, I guess you are right, it is kind of lame that I can’t figure out how to do it! But not lame on my part.

I just have to get my seat into autocross position, and then all is well. Fortunately we have reduced-force airbags these days, but I’d prefer to be further from the wheel during normal driving (it is safer for my knees and face in a collision - I’d prefer to not have my lower leg and knee shoved halfway along my hamstring in an accident).

Reactions: X-Chris
For anyone who is 6' or more, the mirrors simply do not adjust out far enough to be set 'correctly' on the driver's side so you get a good view of the approaching cars and of your blind spot. And I have to say that I've never had this problem on any other car - ever! When I first got the car I thought I must be doing something wrong - but no, it is a mirror design flaw, pure and simple. Maybe Tesla thought it was ok because all the 'tech' would warn you (which it doesn't do very well, as noted in this and many other threads). Maybe no one on the Tesla design team is over 5'6" ...

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life