Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind spot detection.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering how it's been working for other people.

When I first got my car last year around June and for a while after that until the V10 update, I'd consistently get visual on dash for the cars that are in my blindspot by highlighting them red as well as the lane turning red if I use turn signal. (at least while I was on autopilot).

After the V10 I think it has been inconsistent in showing cars highlighted in red when they are in my blindspot when I turn on the turn signal.

The dash still shows the car accurately around the car but sometimes highlight them and sometimes it won't.

I was just wondering if anyone is experiencing same issue.

That feature never worked for me, someone started a thread about this a few days ago so while I was out yesterday I got next to a car doing about 65 and hit my turn signal as to turn right into the car next to me, nothing happened. March 2019 SR+ No AP, 2.5 HW

Fred

almost side swiped 2 cars at different times changing lanes in bumper to bumper traffic.
A very common scenario, you're in the slower of the 2 lanes bumper to bumper. You see an opening in the left lane... you steer left, nudged the go pedal a little, only to find another car next to or just behind the rear driver side door or quarter panel.

BSD leaves a lot to be desired in the Tesla model 3
not sure why they didn't just go with a light on mirrors like lots of other companies

A lot of Model 3 design was with the idea there's be no little to no manual driving pretty shortly after release.

Why waste $ on lights the computer driving won't care about?

See also the lack of rear radar and cross-traffic alerts- the car autoparks by backing it, so it'd never need to back and and never need rear cross-traffic detection.

Heck at Autonomy day last year Musk suggested there'd be no-steering-wheel Teslas out by 2021.

A lot of Model 3 design was with the idea there's be no little to no manual driving pretty shortly after release.

Why waste $ on lights the computer driving won't care about?

See also the lack of rear radar and cross-traffic alerts- the car autoparks by backing it, so it'd never need to back and and never need rear cross-traffic detection.

Heck at Autonomy day last year Musk suggested there'd be no-steering-wheel Teslas out by 2021.

Well yeah that sounds good and I can understand that, but just looks like we are very long off from Teslas having no steering wheel and doing all the driving

• Funny
Reactions: afadeev
Just wondering how it's been working for other people.

When I first got my car last year around June and for a while after that until the V10 update, I'd consistently get visual on dash for the cars that are in my blindspot by highlighting them red as well as the lane turning red if I use turn signal. (at least while I was on autopilot).

After the V10 I think it has been inconsistent in showing cars highlighted in red when they are in my blindspot when I turn on the turn signal.

The dash still shows the car accurately around the car but sometimes highlight them and sometimes it won't.

I was just wondering if anyone is experiencing same issue.

No problems...consistently well for me.

There are no blind spots with properly adjusted mirrors. It took me a few days to get used the proper positions.

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots

Very true, and above instructions are good advice.
But this implies that one can adjust AND actively use mirrors properly, for BSD and other functions.
Unfortunately, this is not likely to happen on Model 3's for at least two (2) reasons:
  1. Model 3's side view mirrors are not wide enough, and don't swing out far enough to provide proper coverage angles.
  2. Tesla preaches, and most folks on this forum trust and rely, that Tesla's software will take care of BSD and most other driver's responsibilities.
To answer OP's question - yes, the v10 blind spot threat (red car) notification has been inconsistent and temperamental. You should rely on it just about as much as you feel comfortable relying on all other AP features.

Namely - trust, but verify at every turn (pun intended)!

• Disagree
Reactions: DDHEverything
If I use my turn signal and there is a car, I always get a red vehicle warning. I might be in the minority, but I always use my turn signal.

I mean with turn signal on. I expect the cars in my blind spot to turn red when they are in my blind spot and I engage the turn signal but it is not consistent at least my experience.