Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind Spot Indicator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I agree, better blind spot detection is needed, I believe Tesla has de-prioritized this just like they do with HUD. Their vision is to get to full level 5 autonomy where the car will drive itself and humans won’t need to worry about blinds spots. We of course know this is at least 5 years away, but Elon won’t admit that. Every once in awhile, Telsa will improve the safety features such as adding camera angles when in reverse, which makes this more puzzling at times.

The lack of adoption of CarPlay and Android Auto is just Tesla’s ignorance that they can do it better, which they clearly can’t for infotainment systems.

If I'm honest with myself, it is likely current cars will be long in the tooth if / when AP / FSD actually reaches a point where it is fit for L4 + purpose. And when it actually hits mainstream, I'm sure new issues will become apparent. The problems we see today are absolutely basic first order. Not even off the blocks yet really.

When you look at the big (Tesla) picture, what's the message you're giving when you have phantom braking, no speed sign reading, use NN to control wipers (when a standalone system can arguably do easily as good a job), fail to get audio player working reliably (USB / Spotify), not support way points in nav system, no blind spot detection, incorrect exposure control of rear camera (MCU2 MS), poor self park, proximity detection only to 10 - 12"...... etc

Kinda looks like you are generally struggling on many fronts to keep up with where you should have been years ago.

Agreed, and the capabilities are there, Tesla is just choosing to ignore it.
The technology exists - simple BSM radars. Elon is just refusing to do it it the proven way. If he didn't invent it, it has no place in a Tesla. He thought we was brilliant when he decided ultrasonics is all you need for blind spot monitoring, but it's like saying "let's go to the sun at night so we don't get burned" - it's naive and Elon sold it before even the most basic testing (it didn't even work when the very first AP1 cars rolled off the production line). They simply don't work, and Elon could have found that out if he simply paid some interns to drive around with parking sensors and BSM and log how often the parking sensors miss cars in blind spots at high speed, windy weather, or rain. There is a reason they are called PARKING sensors. But, Elon has a large set of followers willing to test out any of his brain farts, no matter how ridiculous - are there still any fanboys believing each Model 3 will be worth over $200,000 by the end of this year?

Reactions: David29
If I'm honest with myself, it is likely current cars will be long in the tooth if / when AP / FSD actually reaches a point where it is fit for L4 + purpose. And when it actually hits mainstream, I'm sure new issues will become apparent. The problems we see today are absolutely basic first order. Not even off the blocks yet really.

When you look at the big (Tesla) picture, what's the message you're giving when you have phantom braking, no speed sign reading, use NN to control wipers (when a standalone system can arguably do easily as good a job), fail to get audio player working reliably (USB / Spotify), not support way points in nav system, no blind spot detection, incorrect exposure control of rear camera (MCU2 MS), poor self park, proximity detection only to 10 - 12"...... etc

Kinda looks like you are generally struggling on many fronts to keep up with where you should have been years ago.
Tesla main and pretty much only advantage is the EV drive-train, batteries and supercharging network. Take any Tesla and stick an ICE engine in it, and it wound not sell but the most devout Elon fanboys. Now, the competition is catching up on the EV drivetrain and charging network. They don't even have to catch up to Tesla today, it's enough if they catch up to where Tesla was few years ago. An Audi port saloon that does 0-60 in 2.5 seconds doesn't have to have 400 miles of range (280 warrantied, we per Tesla's battery warranty which only covers over 30% battery degradation) - it would sell better than a Model S even with just 230 miles of range (probably warrantied at 90%+) but with Audi tech around the EV drive-train.

Reactions: BlindPass
Tesla main and pretty much only advantage is the EV drive-train, batteries and supercharging network. Take any Tesla and stick an ICE engine in it, and it wound not sell but the most devout Elon fanboys. Now, the competition is catching up on the EV drivetrain and charging network. They don't even have to catch up to Tesla today, it's enough if they catch up to where Tesla was few years ago. An Audi port saloon that does 0-60 in 2.5 seconds doesn't have to have 400 miles of range (280 warrantied, we per Tesla's battery warranty which only covers over 30% battery degradation) - it would sell better than a Model S even with just 230 miles of range (probably warrantied at 90%+) but with Audi tech around the EV drive-train.
Unfortunately I agree. The E-Tron has many appealing features. I’d love to combine the E-Tron tech with the Tesla drivetrain and batteries

• Disagree
Reactions: Clark_Kent
Yes, the indication is on the instrument panel where you shouldn't be looking when worried about blind spot encroachment.

Cars turn Red on the traffic display, but that is almost useless since you are either looking to the right or left. I've tried to make checking the center display a part of my multi-step process for changing lanes, but an warning, like most other cars have, would be much better to alert to the presence of a car in the blindspot.

Reactions: David29

I don’t think you are giving enough credit to several other Tesla advantages:

- Over the air update tech and ability to rapidly iterate / add new features.
- Enabled by vertical integration of controllers throughout car and central processor (highly efficient and configurable, like the Apple of autos). I believe it was Audi exec that said Tesla architecture is years ahead.
- Mobile app is better than most.
- Efficiency of Tesla’s battery / power train is leading to progressive range improvements and cost decreases that will be hard for competitors to “catch.”

- Enabled by vertical integration of controllers throughout car and central processor (highly efficient and configurable, like the Apple of autos). I believe it was Audi exec that said Tesla architecture is years ahead.
- Efficiency of Tesla’s battery / power train is leading to progressive range improvements and cost decreases that will be hard for competitors to “catch.”

I agree with "- Efficiency of Tesla’s battery / power train is leading to progressive range improvements and cost decreases that will be hard for competitors to “catch." but I'm less sure about the other points. The 'rapid iterations' seem to miss the mark on several basic flaws that have been there for a long time. 'Vertical integration of........' doesn't seem able to get self park working very well or even getting sub-12" proximity readings from the ultrasonics amongst other things.

They are not always advantages, and for the ones which are, they are not that hard to close, or don't need to be closed completely to compete well.

OTA in Tesla hands is no longer an advantage to me. It allows them to finish an incomplete, or in some examples, complete vaporware features and deliver them over a long time, deliver completely underwhelming versions as compared to advertised feature, or never deliver it at all. It also allows them to change the car by eliminating features or making it more difficult to use. Being happy about Tesla OTA is like being happy about your employer telling you rather than giving you the paycheck you earned, they will split it in to 60 equal parts and pay it to you every month instead, and then on month 20 they decided to pay it out in bitcoins instead, then in month 40 you get company stock of equal value. Additionally, Tesla also ships untested upgrades which in my case one almost caused a major accident, and in another actually did cause a minor accident ($600 damage Tesla refused to cover) - both bugs fixed the very next OTA of course, but so what. OTA capability can definitely be an advantage, but not in Tesla's hands, where customers are just a large test vehicle pool, with Elon's "Ship it now, fix it later via OTA, fix hardware only if we have to" (paraphrasing the words of one of his key designers).

I partially agree, but that's also a double edge sword in Tesla's hands as it is a single point of failure and Tesla designs them like smartphones - same expected lifecycle including hardware dying and software obsolescence (try using the browser on pre-March 2018 Tesla MS/MX). The other guys are all catching up quick (check out VW ID3) with the centralized computer, though they warranty their central computer way longer than Tesla (which they recently halved to 2 years only), maybe because VW built them as automotive parts rather than smarphones?

Agreed, however that gap can be closed very quickly, even quicker if the interface is opened to 3rd party apps and the volume is in millions.

I agree with that, that was the main advantage I stated in my post to which you replied. The point is however, that the other guys don't need to "catch" Tesla, they just need to be good enough, so where Tesla was 5 years ago is ok. Many people will go for 230 miles (207 warrantied) over 400 miles (280 warrantied) if that means they can get things like proper blind spot detection, physical controls (buttons, knobs), quality interior, proper phone integration (Apple CarPlay, Android Auto), AND will be able to buy parts and fix the car themselves if they want to, or at least have competition for service, not the monopoly Tesla has where they charged up to $3,000 to replace an MCU with a refurbed one when a $10 emmc part failed (and then took your old MCU which you were not allowed to keep, changed the $10 part and sold it to the next guy who needed it because his "all integrated car with central computer" was not drivable when the $10 emmc died).

Reactions: BlindPass
I am curious why people choose to buy a car and then criticize it over and over again. I wonder why they bought the car in the first place and then I wonder why they keep spending so much time complaining about it. Is it a vendetta over some disappointment about missed expectations during purchase or service? Is it a hatred for Elon Musk? Do they complain only about their Tesla or do they complain about other purchases, too? Why not just sell the car and get one that has the features that are important to you? I really don’t mean this as a put-down or an attack, but instead I would like to understand it. If someone could explain it, that would be great.

Reactions: tranzndance
I am curious why people choose to buy a car and then criticize it over and over again. I wonder why they bought the car in the first place and then I wonder why they keep spending so much time complaining about it. Is it a vendetta over some disappointment about missed expectations during purchase or service? Is it a hatred for Elon Musk? Do they complain only about their Tesla or do they complain about other purchases, too? Why not just sell the car and get one that has the features that are important to you? I really don’t mean this as a put-down or an attack, but instead I would like to understand it. If someone could explain it, that would be great.

A lot of people buy the car on the hype and promises/lies that are made by both Tesla and Elon, such as full self driving in 6 months, the car will pick you up anywhere, no service needed ever, every service loaner is a loaded S with Luda mode, etc etc

A lot of the Tesla owners/simps perpetuate and amplify the hype and lies too.

So understandably people are upset since the car doesn't necessarily live up to the expectations that are set by Tesla and Musk.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex and EVortex
A lot of people buy the car on the hype and promises/lies that are made by both Tesla and Elon, such as full self driving in 6 months, the car will pick you up anywhere, no service needed ever, every service loaner is a loaded S with Luda mode, etc etc

A lot of the Tesla owners/simps perpetuate and amplify the hype and lies too.

So understandably people are upset since the car doesn't necessarily live up to the expectations that are set by Tesla and Musk.

Thank you, it helps me to understand the perspective better.

A valid question which has been asked before. Rather than copy paste, here is a link to a post where I answered such questions:
Community help needed... Can you source me some contacts?
I hope that clarifies it further.

• Informative
Reactions: EVortex