Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind Spot Monitoring Standard on all AP 2.0+ cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...but would this actually make the situation worse if the driver doesn't put two and two together? A more abrupt steering input will give the second driver even less time to respond. I like the idea of an auditory warning better.

LDW currently uses heptic feedback, and I believe it's the only system that does.

What I'd like to see is Heptic feedback being set-able to where you can choose what gets assigned to it.

Like you can assign it to LDW, or you can assign it to blindspot monitoring, or you can have it disabled.

If it's assigned to blind-spot monitoring then you get the vibration in the steering wheel if you attempt to merge into someone. That way it works whether or not they have the turn signal on. Maybe it also has a bit more resistance just to indicate that you should check.

An audible alert should also be optional for it. I'm not a huge fan of audible alerts as I often find myself trying to decipher where it came from.

No they haven’t. I have seen two drivers almost get in accidents recently with the blind spot monitoring (non Tesla). People rely on that too much and it isn’t perfect. People need to adjust their damn mirrors properly.

Anecdotal evidence: the BSM on my Volt is awesome 99 percent of the time. But it would sometimes be lit up when there is no car in my blind spot, and sometimes won’t light up when there is. Very rare, but it has happened to me a few times over two and a half years. Good thing I have my mirrors set up well and always glance over my shoulder anyway.

Anecdotal evidence: the BSM on my Volt is awesome 99 percent of the time. But it would sometimes be lit up when there is no car in my blind spot, and sometimes won’t light up when there is. Very rare, but it has happened to me a few times over two and a half years. Good thing I have my mirrors set up well and always glance over my shoulder anyway.

Good for you! That’s what people should do!

Posted this in the other V9 thread but for those of you that hadn’t seen it - the screenshot of my M3 blind spot monitoring.

AC87B39A-AB4F-4F9B-93C0-866B363EE65F.jpeg

Looking at the screen before changing lanes isn't helpful for BSM. The in-mirror/A-pillar light of other OEMs (including my STI) is a nice and natural way to double check (of course, always actually check your blind spots).

Also, the red line should appear at all times, not just when you engage your blinker. The car should chime if you are going to move over (blinker on, or you move the car), in order to warn you of an object.