Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue Star Wish List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't disagree but why is 180 the magic number?

Supercharging is available for Model S with 60kWh pack or larger. Will be available for Model X which comes with 60kWh pack as smallest pack right from the beginning. We don't know the EPA ratings for Model S with 60kWh pack, but a good guess should be 88% of 230 miles = 200 miles. Model X will have a small penalty for increased vehicle weight and aerodynamic drag, something like 10% were mentioned. So that would be 180 miles for a range charged Model X-60 that's driven down to zero SoC.

The Supercharging network is designed to give the best road trip experience possible to the top-level Tesla cars. That means charging with full power in the least possible time, then hit the road again and drive to the next supercharger. Charging is at 90kW for the 85kWh packs, going from near zero SoC to about 50% SoC. 50% of maximum range is restored. That would be 130 miles for Model S and 120 miles for Model X. That gives the optimal distance between supercharger stations.

Folks with smaller packs presumably have to charge slower (e.g. at 60kW for the 60kWh pack) and longer (up to 75% SoC). Less convenient, but still very feasible.

So any superchargeable GenIII vehicle will have a battery pack that can be replenished with 130 miles of EPA-rated driving range within 60 minutes, and the top-level models within 30 minutes. Tesla can engineer towards this target with better vehicle efficiency, increased pack capacity, and/or increased charge rates.

Last edited:
There is no reason that adjustable seats could not come standard. How does this play out in the Model S?

I'm pretty sure that even though it is the Mass Market Car it will still be considered a "premium" car. That means that adjustable seats may come standard. But then again they will need profit margins. It all depends, at the time, what their angle will be. Maybe they choose to focus on range and push for every kWh in the pack possible while trimming everything else then maybe the adjustable seats become part of the "Tech Package."

I'd expect a balanced view with "premium" built into the car.

adjustable seats?

There is no reason that adjustable seats could not come standard. How does this play out in the Model S?

I am a bit lost here. What car today doesn't have adjustable seats? Do you mean power adjustable? Or 12 way (or whatever number) adjustable? Lumbar? That weird (but pretty nice) BMW leg extension adjustment? Or memorized seating positions? I don't get what you are asking for.

I personally like my VW 100% manual adjustable seats. They are faster and quieter than power adjustable. You can't have seat memory with manual seats though.

Model S cloth comes with 8 way power adjustable seats. Model S with leather comes with 12 way power adjustable seats, with memory settings.

Model S Specs and Standard Features | Tesla Motors
Model S Options and Pricing | Tesla Motors

I am a bit lost here. What car today doesn't have adjustable seats? Do you mean power adjustable? Or 12 way (or whatever number) adjustable? Lumbar? That weird (but pretty nice) BMW leg extension adjustment? Or memorized seating positions? I don't get what you are asking for.

I personally like my VW 100% manual adjustable seats. They are faster and quieter than power adjustable. You can't have seat memory with manual seats though.

Model S cloth comes with 8 way power adjustable seats. Model S with leather comes with 12 way power adjustable seats, with memory settings.

Model S Specs and Standard Features | Tesla Motors
Model S Options and Pricing | Tesla Motors

Sorry I wasn't clear, I mean power adjustable driver and front passenger seats.

Here is what I want...

$30k-$35k base price
could care less about the touchscreen
200+ mile range
17" wheels with aero option
cheap non-leather seats
RWD

As you can see I just want the battery range, but I think it is an important part of the Tesla brand to have the gadgets.

This is what I am hoping for. The one thing I think Tesla could improve on is interior conveniences. The major weakness of the Model S IMO is the lack of compartments to store stuff. The small shelf below the touchscreen helps, but more compartments beyond the glove box are necessary. For example, I keep some of my "emergency" gear in the center console box in between the drivers and passengers seats: Leatherman, tire gauge, charge cables for phone, first aid kit, for example. The latched cover keeps all this stuff from flying around during a collision. I also use side door pockets as a convenient place to stow trash bags.

I remember that Elon said Model X was designed with an eye towards women customers, i.e. as a minivan/SUV replacement, so hopefully the X will show the direction Tesla is moving as far as interior convenience.

There are some high expectations here. 300 miles for 30K? And some overly low expectations. 100 miles for 30k? And some that just don't make sense. Competing with Corolla?

Tesla has a growing brand. And that brand matters. And most of that brand is based on the image created by the Model S. Cheapening the brand by putting out compromised product would be the most damaging thing Tesla could do.

Personally, I don't even get why Tesla even has as many options as it does. I think they should jack the price of all their vehicles by $10K and throw in all the options they now offer (Tech package, Sound Studio Package, Pano roof, Active Air suspension, Paint Armor).

In my books, the sales process of a Tesla should be a lot like buying an iPod at the Apple Store:

1) Check it out (test drive for Tesla).
2) Pick the colour.
3) Pick the capacity.
4) Pay

Not that it would ever happen, but that's the approach I wish Tesla would take. Drop that $30K goal. Make it a $40K goal (after the tax rebate) and offer uncompromised fully loaded vehicles.

They'll make their sales goal whatever happens. They don't need a $30K econobox to do that. I don't think they need to be firm on $30K. High $30s after the tax rebate would still sell like hot cakes.

In the long run, I'm more worried about Tesla preserving its brand as other companies begin to shift to making EVs. At that point, just being a good ranging EV won't be enough. If 160 miles is enough for many a Model S owner, than it'll be enough for many a future car buyer, purchasing from other OEMs. At that point, buyers will be comparing more than range. And it takes a lot longer to build or repair a brand. Tesla needs to move even further towards being a brand known for zero compromises. Tesla's differentiation, can and should come from the sales experience, and uncompromised product and the owner experience (full service maintenance, charging network, etc.).

I don't care about a pano roof, pain armor, tech package, active suspension, sound studio, and I never liked the Apple sales approach and own none of their products. I do hope to be able to get a Gen3 without too many unneeded geegaws, with good performance, a reasonable range, at a good price. I also see the value in offering those who want all the extras to be able to add them as options, and pay the premium to do so. The more versions of the same product you can offer the larger your potential market.

I want something just like the Nissan LEAF except:

#1: Tesla brand.
#2: Rear wheel drive.
#3: Better looks.
#4: Better handling.
#5: Better acceleration.
#6: Slightly more range.
#7: Ability to use Supercharger network.
#8: (Ability to use CHAdeMO too would be nice.)

Any other "features" aren't required. I am sure Tesla would throw in some other neat things, but I don't require them to be interested.

I want something just like the Nissan LEAF except:

#1: Tesla brand.
#2: Rear wheel drive.
#3: Better looks.
#4: Better handling.
#5: Better acceleration.
#6: Slightly more range.
#7: Ability to use Supercharger network.
#8: (Ability to use CHAdeMO too would be nice.)
So basically nothing at all like a LEAF except #8 :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Can you elaborate on why this is preferred for you (in a PM or private message if you prefer)?
RWD just feels better to me. Burnouts, power slides, drifting, just doesn't work the same with FWD.

Whereas personally I want a smaller and somewhat less expensive Model S. The Model S is perfect for me except for its size. This obviously wouldn't be the base Gen III, but I hope the high end Gen III has the range of the current high end Model S, but in a 3-series sized package (they just mentioned again at the Detroit auto show 3-series sized).

I don't care about a pano roof, pain armor, tech package, active suspension, sound studio, ... I also see the value in offering those who want all the extras to be able to add them as options, and pay the premium to do so. The more versions of the same product you can offer the larger your potential market.

I'm driving a stripped down EV. Will welcome soft, pampering geegaws and will swim in the latest tech.