Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth disconnection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my 2023 model 3. I know the the range limitations of Bluetooth. Tesla is disconnecting every day. When I am home my phone is about 30 feet away from the car. So I understand the issue. My problem is Tesla does not reconnect with phone Bluetooth automatically when I stand 2 feet from the car. Any suggestions?

I got mine a couple of weeks ago and the first thing I found was that bluetooth was totally flaky when I tried to set up my phone for audio - took multiple attempts just to get the phone paired as the car bluetooth was resetting itself constantly during the process. When I finally did get it paired it would disconnect every few minutes while playing music - it was unusable.

Needless to say as a brand new owner I was a bit alarmed by this since it's been at least 20 years since I've had any problems connecting my phone to any car via bluetooth.

I did the two button console reboot and that seemed to fix it, so I can only assume this was some glitch associated with it being the first time pairing anything to the car. It still took several attempts to pair each of my wife and kids' phones, but it was no longer resetting or dropping out. A couple of software updates and a couple more reboots later and it seems to have settled down and is now working properly - connects immediately to my phone when I get in, doesn't ever drop the connection, and switches nicely between phones.

So perhaps try a reboot and see if it improves...

The one thing I miss from my last car is being able to have two phones connected simultaneously, which was handy with kids in the car that want to stream from their own phones.

Upvote 0
Not the key. Key works fine. I have to manually open the car with my phone. Nothing to do with audio too.

You just confused me even more.

When I said "key" I meant phone as a key.
I didn't mean the card key.
I didn't mean keyfob

The Bluetooth on the phone is used for two functions and they are completely different and not associated
  • Unlocking the car
  • Standard Bluetooth phone connection and audio
And then there's the cellular connection that
  • Allows to open the car remotely
  • Anything else from the app
And just to be clear, when you get near the car and expect the car to unlock automatically, that's Bluetooth.
When you get the phone out and hit the unlock in the app, that's Cellular.

So what isn't working for you?
What IS working for you?

Upvote 0
This is only for iphone users

Make sure u have the latest software installed on your phone and your vehicle

1.Scroll wheel reset hold the two scroll wheel buttons in until uc the tesla,logo come up then release

2.On phone

Reboot the phone by pushing the slide to power off@restart phone

U may not have to go any further this may fix your problem but if doesnt work …plan b

Plan b

On the phone

Delete the tesla app

On the car

Goto the touchscreen/control/locks/keys

Delete the phone key

On the phone

Go to App Store Reinstall the tesla app back on your phone

Open up your tesla app to set up phone key on your car

Goto settings/tesla app check

Location is set to always

Bluetooth on

Backround app refresh on

Notifications/allow notifications-on

Show previews-Always(Default)

Notification grouping-Automatic

On phone goto settings/mobile- check mobile data on

The phone will have to synced to the cars Bluetooth see below

On the car

U will have to goto touchscreen/control..at the top of the touchscreen tap the bluetooth icon to pair the Bluetooth on the phone to the car follow prompts given on the touchscreen u maybe asked to use your keycard for confirmation have that ready

Goto control/locks check

Walk away door lock-on

Driver unlock mode-off this will unlock all doors &trunk

Driver unlock mode-on this will unlock only the drivers door

Unlock on park-on

General information

The vehicle will remain asleep until you get in close proximity to the car

By manually opening up the driver’s door handle it should wake up@ unlock automatically

If the vehicle does not unlock it maybe asleep.

You can wake the car up by opening up the tesla app on your phone… it will say it is waking once it is awake it will say it is either online or parked

The vehicle requires either cellular service/bluetooth or wifi to communicate with your phone

If there is no communication or the cellular service is weak the Tesla app will have limited functionality

With bluetooth u have to be in close proximity to the vehicle to unlock/lock the car if there is no Bluetooth connectivity the only way to unlock/lock the car is to use your keycard

Providing you have connectivity between your iphone@car you can use your iphone to unlock/lock the car.

If ur still having problems ring tesla for further advice

Reactions: rpiotro
Upvote 0

General information

By manually opening up the driver’s door handle it should wake up@ unlock automatically
You can wake the car up by opening up the tesla app on your phone… it will say it is waking once it is awake it will say it is either online or parked
The vehicle requires either cellular service/bluetooth or wifi to communicate with your phone
If there is no communication or the cellular service is weak the Tesla app will have limited functionality
With bluetooth u have to be in close proximity to the vehicle to unlock/lock the car if there is no Bluetooth connectivity the only way to unlock/lock the car is to use your keycard
Providing you have connectivity between your iphone@car you can use your iphone to unlock/lock the car.

Not quite correct.
  • If the car is asleep, it will unlock without having to go to the app. I do it all the time. Actually it is often faster than waking the car up, which has to occur when using the phone.
  • I haven't really ever seen the car say that it is online, It's either parked or charging. (or driving)

• As to what communications medium is used by the car, see my post above. "Either" really doesn't apply. Each function that you are doing requires a specific medium.
  • So as I just said, if you don't have cellular, you can't use the app to unlock. (But phone as a key with Bluetooth proximity still works)

And this forum's editor supports a number of formats, such as bullets to make your posts much easier to read.

The FASTEST and EASIEST way to unlock the car is to approach the car from the driver's door side with your phone held out in front of you. That's close to 100% in getting the door unlocked.
I keep my phone in my back pocket. I know that the car can't hear it. So I go up to the car and hold the door handle open and rotate so that my butt is near the car and it opens in less than 3 seconds every time. Both of my cars do this repeatably.

But if I approach the car with the phone in my back pocket and don't turn around, it's nearly 100% guaranteed that the car won't unlock. If I approach from directions other than the drivers door, it slows down the unlocking process.

Upvote 0
There is some bug in iOS (I think) that has caused Bluetooth connections (not the key Bluetooth but the audio/etc part) to not reconnect when you get in the car. I wind up having to turn off Bluetooth and turn back on in iOS for my car to connect to it. It’s really annoying. 99% sure it’s an Apple bug. I am running latest FSD Beta build.

• Informative
Reactions: Parrog
Upvote 0

Make sure u have the latest software installed on your phone and your vehicle

1.Scroll wheel reset hold the two scroll wheel buttons in until uc the tesla,logo come up then release

2.On phone

Reboot the phone by pushing the slide to power off@restart phone

U may not have to go any further this may fix your problem but if doesnt work …plan b

Plan b

On the phone

Delete the tesla app

On the car

Goto the touchscreen/control/locks/keys

Delete the phone key

On the phone

Go to App Store Reinstall the tesla app back on your phone

Open up your tesla app to set up phone key on your car

Goto settings/tesla app check

Location is set to always

Bluetooth on

Backround app refresh on

Notifications/allow notifications-on

Show previews-Always(Default)

Notification grouping-Automatic

On phone goto settings/mobile- check mobile data on

The phone will have to synced to the cars Bluetooth see below

On the car

U will have to goto touchscreen/control..at the top of the touchscreen tap the bluetooth icon to pair the Bluetooth on the phone to the car follow prompts given on the touchscreen u maybe asked to use your keycard for confirmation have that ready

Goto control/locks check

Walk away door lock-on

Driver unlock mode-off this will unlock all doors &trunk

Driver unlock mode-on this will unlock only the drivers door

Unlock on park-on

General information

I've used your plan A multiple times, it works but the bluetooth will disconnect approx every other day. Does your plan B have a terminate fix?

Upvote 0