Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth / iPhone X issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, for me the problem is a little more advanced. In addition to the random switching of a call between phone speaker and bluetooth speaker, there have been many occasions just after getting in the car for the first trip of the day where a call just happens spontaneously and the number the car bluetooth is "calling" or on an active call is with MY OWN NUMBER! I can't use the car's wheel or display buttons to end the call and the radio is naturally muted because of the call. I can "fix" this crazy situation by either 1) turning off bluetooth in my phone which drops the call or 2) making a new call with the phone which then disconnects the first "call". Sadly, reactivating Bluetooth (if I turned it off) would often do the exact same thing (start a new call to me) so I just make a new call (and then just hangup) to release the erroneous call.

I have had the same problem as the original poster. Bluetooth also sometimes doesn't connect, or disconnects in and out during a call.

Also very frustrating that the "Recent Calls" list has multiples of the same caller (not all that useful and makes it harder to find someone down the list).

I have asked the service center about it, and yet to receive any answer.

In the last week, I'm having trouble with the audio from phone calls not being patched through. I'm able to play other things from the phone through the car, but I have to switch to speaker for calls. Last worked on Sunday and I'm not aware of any updates between then and yesterday when it was really evident.

I am having the same problem as the original post with my iPhone X. After numerous complaints and visits to the service department, they have absolutely no answer and have even blamed the iPhone. What do people think about filing a class action lawsuit?

I don't get it why there are so many problems with iPhone that are going on for at least 6 months now. I feel a bit hopeless. Even though I still waiting for my X to be delivered, I did encourage the problem when I was taking Tesla overnight, and now constantly seeing posts about issues with iPhone X and Tesla is really making me upset. In such advance car with over the air update, this problem is not getting fixed. Perhaps we should have some sort of petition to get Tesla's attention so they will prioritize their TODO list

I am having the same problem as the original post with my iPhone X. After numerous complaints and visits to the service department, they have absolutely no answer and have even blamed the iPhone. What do people think about filing a class action lawsuit?
It may just be an iPhone issue. With my old iPhone 6, I had no problems. Since “upgrading” to an iPhone 8 (a real POS in my opinion), I’ve had numerous issues with Bluetooth communication with my X and other Bluetooth devices (including my Apple Watch). But the iPhone hardware was checked out, so it may be an issue with the New iOS.

Filing a class action lawsuit will only help you if you're a lawyer. Are you a lawyer?

Otherwise, it's been pretty-much determined to be a problem on the iPhone 8/X end, not Tesla's end, and only appears to occur when Air Pods and Apple Watch are both paired to the same phone.

…it's been pretty-much determined to be a problem on the iPhone 8/X end, not Tesla's end, and only appears to occur when Air Pods and Apple Watch are both paired to the same phone.

I have an iPhone X, and an Apple Watch, but do not have Air Pods. I don't take calls frequently, but of the ones I've made or taken in the Model X in the last 60 days, most of the time outgoing audio does not work. One time it worked fine, signal killed the call, and then it didn't work when I called my wife back. Surprisingly, my wife has grown to accept this; although I don't think we're going to be replacing her Volvo with a Tesla when it comes due.

Fortunately(?) my state does *not* have a law against hand-held phone operation for the times I've needed to take the call on the phone, but had I foreseen this problem, we definitely would not have gotten the car.

My wife's iPhone 6s worked fine on a road trip from St. Louis to Chicago. She picks me up and I switch to my iPhone X and no one can hear me. Definitely an issue with the newer iPhones. Maybe Apple should focus on reliable devices instead of the latest watch band or Animoji...... /rant

If this were a problem with the iPhone X device, I'd be willing to accept it if the car supported multipoint, and I could leave a proper phone connected for calls, and continue to use the iPhone X for media streaming. I don't have this issue with the after-market Belkin adapter in my other car, my wife's Volvo, or with various other handsfree profile-based devices I use. That's not to say Apple didn't mess something-up; just that I don't have the inclination to really debug protocol-level issues here, and I bought the iPhone X to use Tesla's app (i.e. to support the car based on what Tesla advertises as being supported), so I'm going to continue to believe this is in Tesla's court to fix.

If this were a problem with the iPhone X device, I'd be willing to accept it if the car supported multipoint, and I could leave a proper phone connected for calls, and continue to use the iPhone X for media streaming. I don't have this issue with the after-market Belkin adapter in my other car, my wife's Volvo, or with various other handsfree profile-based devices I use. That's not to say Apple didn't mess something-up; just that I don't have the inclination to really debug protocol-level issues here, and I bought the iPhone X to use Tesla's app (i.e. to support the car based on what Tesla advertises as being supported), so I'm going to continue to believe this is in Tesla's court to fix.
You don't see Android users complaining about this issue, so I would be very skeptical that this is something Tesla can fix.

I too have had this problem and rebooting my iPhone temporarily fixes this issue. I have a 2nd generation Apple Watch and Air Pods. I don't know exactly what combination of usage causes this issue, but I don't use the Air Pods all that often and I never use the Air Pods for streaming music from my Watch. There are other users on this forum that have done more intensive research into it, search this forum.

However, I haven't had this issue for the past month or two, so a recent iPhone update may have helped. Or the fact that I rarely use the Air Pods might be the reason.

I think now It is definitely an iPhone problem. My phone randomly switches between speaker and phone independent of the car.
I have latest iOS and it is driving me crazy. In addition, when I first got my 3 everything worked fine. I am thinking some iOS update messed it up.