Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth problems on phone calls only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. Can you confirm that you hear popping noises and then silence for BT audio connections? The majority of iOS devices are currently working fine over BT audio with latest Tesla firmware as far as I know.

Yes already posted in this thread. Sometimes a snap crackle and silence, sometimes silence. Media audio from same phone works fine. Other iPhone works fine. Both iPhones work in a Hyundai. Non-working iPhone worked fine with 2019.8.5.

I believe the problem is *not* due to phone hardware alone.

Not alone, I can believe, but it does seem to be an interacting factor, since LineageOS 16 can work OK....

Here is what I've tested so far:

Tesla Model 3 with Firmware 2019.12.1.2 (and several previous versions post 9.0):
Samsung Galaxy S5 / LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7) - WORKS
Samsung Galaxy S5 / LineageOS 15.1 (Android 8) - DOES NOT WORK
Samsung Galaxy S5 / LineageOS 16 (Android 9 "Pie") - DOES NOT WORK
OnePlus OnePlus 3T / LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7) - WORKS
OnePlus OnePlus 3T / LineageOS 15.1 (Android 8) - DOES NOT WORK
OnePlus OnePlus 3T / LineageOS 16 (Android 9 "Pie") - DOES NOT WORK

Add this to the mix:

LG V20 h910 running LineageOS 16 -- WORKS

That said, this is an "unofficial" LineageOS build, and the phone running this configuration has severe problems. (It tends to hang within minutes of booting if a SIM card is installed.)

Also and FWIW, as noted in my first post, I had more limited -- and different -- problems with my OnePlus 5t with Tesla's 2019.8.x firmware. Specifically, calls worked fine about 1/2 the time, and the remaining 1/2 the time, the audio was garbled, but not completely absent. This obviously was not good, but it was better than the current state of it never working. If, with 2019.8.x, you had the same total failure that began for me with 2019.12.x, then that's an interesting difference.

Overall, I'd say a reasonable hypothesis at this point is that the Bluetooth stack change you propose as the cause of the problem (on the Android side) is indeed the cause of the problem, but only with certain types of phone hardware (either directly or because of different Android software configurations linked to the hardware). Furthermore, the problem clearly interacts with the Tesla software stack; and there seems to be something analogous happening on iOS devices, too.

Yeah, the Samsung Galaxy S5 is 5 year old hardware with some of the most active LineageOS development there is, so I really don't think this is limited to certain hardware.
Not alone, I can believe, but it does seem to be an interacting factor, since LineageOS 16 can work OK....

Add this to the mix:

LG V20 h910 running LineageOS 16 -- WORKS

That said, this is an "unofficial" LineageOS build, and the phone running this configuration has severe problems. (It tends to hang within minutes of booting if a SIM card is installed.)

Also and FWIW, as noted in my first post, I had more limited -- and different -- problems with my OnePlus 5t with Tesla's 2019.8.x firmware. Specifically, calls worked fine about 1/2 the time, and the remaining 1/2 the time, the audio was garbled, but not completely absent. This obviously was not good, but it was better than the current state of it never working. If, with 2019.8.x, you had the same total failure that began for me with 2019.12.x, then that's an interesting difference.

Overall, I'd say a reasonable hypothesis at this point is that the Bluetooth stack change you propose as the cause of the problem (on the Android side) is indeed the cause of the problem, but only with certain types of phone hardware (either directly or because of different Android software configurations linked to the hardware). Furthermore, the problem clearly interacts with the Tesla software stack; and there seems to be something analogous happening on iOS devices, too.

On your LG V20 are you using this ROM? If so, that's not AOSP or LineageOS stock, and it likely has vendor-specific blobs included in the ROM. As I said I haven't tested on vendor-specific ROMs which may have code that does not create this problem.

I also had limited call quality problems on earlier Tesla firmware that were not as major as complete failure to make and receive call audio. Were you using official LineageOS builds, OxygenOS, or something else on your 5t?

It has been suggested to me that I might try logging BT via pcap using Wireshark and an Ubertooth One, but I'm not sure I'm yet willing to do this when I'm not part of Tesla's software design process. If someone else has one of these development devices and wants to try logging, be my guest.

I am hoping that an AOSP or LineageOS commit fixes this behavior, or that Tesla can fix it, as this sure is frustrating. Again, across three devices I tested from three different vendors (Samsung, Motorola/Google, and OnePlus) every single device works with LineageOS Android 7, and none of them work with LineageOS Android 8 or 9.

Frustrated that Tesla's 2019.16.2 didn't fix the problem, I tried returning my OnePlus 5t to OxygenOS. That was a moderate hassle, but it seems to have fixed the problem. I prefer LineageOS, but I'll probably stick with OxygenOS until the incompatibility is resolved.

Looks like I'm buying a new phone I guess lol

You posted earlier that you're using a Xiaomi Redmi note 7, but I don't think you've said what OS you're running on it. Is it the manufacturer's stock OS (some Android variant, I assume), or have you replaced that with LineageOS or some other OS? If you've loaded LineageOS on it, perhaps reverting back to the stock OS, as I did with my OnePlus 5t, would help; or maybe you could look for some other variant that might do better.

I may play with this some more at some point, but I won't have time to devote to the problem for at least a week.

My car updated to 2019.16.2 about two hours ago. Sadly, there's no improvement in my ability to make Bluetooth phone calls. :(

Thanks for confirming this - very disappointing indeed.

I see that you reflashed stock vendor software successfully. Perhaps the LineageOS / AOSP devs can work around this issue eventually. OxygenOS has closed-source blobs (code) from OnePlus that likely provide a work-around to this Tesla Bluetooth problem. Unfortunately, it is also closed-source spyware, which is why I don't use it:
https://gizmodo.com/oneplus-admits-it-was-snooping-on-oxygenos-users-says-1819487335

I also just got 2019.16.2 but no amelioration of the bluetooth problem. I even bluetooth connection on the phone and car (including authentication of the phone with the Tesla App) rebooted the car and reconnected... no change...

Did somebody already open a bug at lineageos perhaps the devs can help us.

I see that you reflashed stock vendor software successfully. Perhaps the LineageOS / AOSP devs can work around this issue eventually. OxygenOS has closed-source blobs (code) from OnePlus that likely provide a work-around to this Tesla Bluetooth problem. Unfortunately, it is also closed-source spyware, which is why I don't use it:
https://gizmodo.com/oneplus-admits-it-was-snooping-on-oxygenos-users-says-1819487335

Thanks for pointing that out; I'd forgotten about it. Fortunately, there are ways to disable the spyware:

How to disable OnePlus analytics data collection completely?

That said, I'd be more comfortable with using LineageOS, just in case something else is lurking in OxygenOS. For the moment and for me personally, using OxygenOS, with the spyware disabled, is an acceptable workaround, but I'll be keeping an eye on developments in the hopes that the problem is solved in LineageOS (or some other fully open Android implementation, for that matter).

Still broken on stock OP6 here, surprised that srs5694 got it working on the 5T, I wonder if there are actual driver/hardware differences.

Honestly starting to get pretty frustrated about this, it seems ridiculous to have to buy your phone to match your car with as something as basic as a phone call function. Ironically I just threw out my ancient clip on bluetooth speaker for the car from 15 years ago but oddly I actually need it now.

I am having the same issue with my Model 3 on a stock Motorola X4 from Google Fi. Phone audio crackles, or more recently completely silent. Nobody can hear anything. Call controls (answer/hang up) work fine. Bluetooth audio from other sources works fine.

This happened with a recent update. I went in to the service center and they upgraded me to 2019.6.2 73d3f3c, same issue. I took it in to the service center and they categorized it as won't fix, said customer education.

Kinda crap they won't take responsibility or even admin there is an issue here. The same phone works well in the Model S loaner and every other rental car I've ever had, so clearly a Model 3 issue that arose with a recent update.

Here is the work order excerpt:

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 1.43.17 PM.png

I am having the same issue with my Model 3 on a stock Motorola X4 from Google Fi. Phone audio crackles, or more recently completely silent. Nobody can hear anything. Call controls (answer/hang up) work fine. Bluetooth audio from other sources works fine.

This happened with a recent update. I went in to the service center and they upgraded me to 2019.6.2 73d3f3c, same issue. I took it in to the service center and they categorized it as won't fix, said customer education.

Kinda crap they won't take responsibility or even admin there is an issue here. The same phone works well in the Model S loaner and every other rental car I've ever had, so clearly a Model 3 issue that arose with a recent update.

Here is the work order excerpt:

View attachment 413766

You meant "2019.16.2" not 6.2, but anyways... that's bs "customer education" "system operates as designed".

It used to work for lots of people with lots of phones, then it stopped working after a TESLA software update.

Glad i found this thread.

I have a Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 that is running Resurrection Remix (an offshoot of Lineage)

I've had this phone since late November and I've never had bluetooth calling working EXCEPT when i was on an early access release from Tesla testing NOA auto lane change and Enhanced Summon.

I have no problem with media streaming or phone as key.

In fact, i've made donations to android dev's to try to get them to help me with this as well but they claim they see nothing wrong from the logs.

It HAS to be something on Tesla's end that they need to fix. I've gone without BT calling for nearly 7 months now and I'm thinking of getting the OnePlus 7 Pro just to solve this problem

And yet another;

Same problems since 2019.12.x on my Model 3 with my OnePlus 6 Samsung phone of my son works fine. My phone - which I need to use a lot for work whilst driving - does not.

Nothing other than the familiar 'crackles' and then complete silence. Nothing helps and tried all options; reboots, resets, etc. I do notice that sometimes the screen will crash (goes black and restarts some 20-30 seconds later) when a phonecall is started/received. I have to switch to handset speaker to actually perform the call but this is a safety hazard to say the least (look down, fumble, etc). I try to have autosteer enabled whilst doing so but this is not always possible (and can't trust it either as there is something wrong with my camera's / detection also).

Hopeless... :(

this is exactly what mine does as well. sometimes the whole MCU as you said resets itself and reboots. I was blaming this on the devs but htis is clearly a Tesla made problem especially since my calling did work on the Early Access release I had.