Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth problems on phone calls only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He told if I woudl find out something he would transmit it to the engineers... So I will now head down to the garage and do some testing with ADB and Wireshark. Let's keep the fingers crossed that I find something.

Do you have contact information? I've got some Bluetooth debugging logs from both working and non-working phones, but I don't know enough about Bluetooth protocols to know what to look for in those logs. I'd be willing to share them with Tesla engineers, though.

I took some log files and a Bluetooth HCI snoop but doesn't tell me as much as I hoped for.

perhaps you could share your logs and I could compare the working to the non working perhaps that tells us more.

Or I could try to give those files to the Tesla guy and seeing if he gets more info from Engineering

Attachments

• logcat.txt
    922.1 KB · Views: 67
  • btsnoop.txt
    71.3 KB · Views: 47
Yesterday when I arrived at work I unpaired my my iPhone then performed a hard reboot(brake plus both scroll wheels) and also rebooted my phone. Once everything was back up and running I re-paired my device and everything worked as expected with Bluetooth calling the entire trip home. I will report back if it continues to work on today’s 70 mile trip

Reactions: mswlogo
Yesterday when I arrived at work I unpaired my my iPhone then performed a hard reboot(brake plus both scroll wheels) and also rebooted my phone. Once everything was back up and running I re-paired my device and everything worked as expected with Bluetooth calling the entire trip home. I will report back if it continues to work on today’s 70 mile trip

I just tried that, and it didn't help with my phone. :(

Same exact problem here. Calls worked with 8.5. Don’t work with 12.1.1 or 12.1.2, even though media works from phone via BT.

Definitely Tesla broke something between 8.5 and 12.1.

I filed a bug report via voice command button in car. Suggest doing this daily for everyone with that problem :)

I tried all th suggested Bluetooth debugging steps. Unpaired/deleted from both sides, rebooted both sides, etc. No change.

It’s not my phone, it works in another vehicle still. It’s not totally the Tesla though because a different model iPhone works. Somehow It’s the combination of phone + Tesla that doesn’t work in 12.1 (but used to work in 8.5).

It’s not my phone, it works in another vehicle still. It’s not totally the Tesla though because a different model iPhone works. Somehow It’s the combination of phone + Tesla that doesn’t work in 12.1 (but used to work in 8.5).

I'm curious about which phone does and which phone does not work for you. (It sounds like they're both iPhones.) At this point it's pretty clear that neither Android nor iOS is immune to the problem; but neither is 100% affected, either. Still, we might discern some sort of pattern with enough information about what phones are and are not affected. Maybe there's a particular Bluetooth chipset that's troublesome, for instance.

I'm curious about which phone does and which phone does not work for you. (It sounds like they're both iPhones.) At this point it's pretty clear that neither Android nor iOS is immune to the problem; but neither is 100% affected, either. Still, we might discern some sort of pattern with enough information about what phones are and are not affected. Maybe there's a particular Bluetooth chipset that's troublesome, for instance.

An iPhone X worked fine. An old backup iPhone 4S had this problem.

Nokia 8 Sirocco fails with exactly the same problems. Tried all Bluetooth settings in developer mode and resetting all stuff

2019.12.1.2 and I'm having the same issues with calls (a bit of crackling initially and then no audio). It used to work on 2019.8 (don't remember exact version). Nothing changed on my phone side. I have an oddball phone, LeEco Le Max 2 running Android 8.1 (LineageOS 15.1), and a Pixel 3a on the way (for other reasons), so hopefully that will work better.

Reactions: preilly44
And yet another;

Same problems since 2019.12.x on my Model 3 with my OnePlus 6 Samsung phone of my son works fine. My phone - which I need to use a lot for work whilst driving - does not.

Nothing other than the familiar 'crackles' and then complete silence. Nothing helps and tried all options; reboots, resets, etc. I do notice that sometimes the screen will crash (goes black and restarts some 20-30 seconds later) when a phonecall is started/received. I have to switch to handset speaker to actually perform the call but this is a safety hazard to say the least (look down, fumble, etc). I try to have autosteer enabled whilst doing so but this is not always possible (and can't trust it either as there is something wrong with my camera's / detection also).

Hopeless... :(

Not surprising, but I got my new Pixel 3a yesterday and it works fine.

Seems like OnePlus phones are heavily affected. Even though my other phone wasn't a OnePlus, it was using a Lineage ROM that borrows a lot of the device tree from the OnePlus 3 Lineage ROMs.