Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth Version in Tesla 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In light of the fact that I am relegated to using the Tesla's Bluetooth to connect to my own High Res music streaming service (Qobuz), Im wondering what is the version of Bluetooth being used in Teslas and whether they ever update that?

Is it version 3.0, 4.0, 5.0?

(Yes I know I can playback from an external flash drive stuck into the USB port up front, but I find that solution to be clunky and not too desireable.)

Thanks!

Bluetooth 5 soon? (Request) | Tesla

Honest question, can you tell the difference while driving? I mean cars are not the proper device to be listening to high quality music right? I get having HD radio which is what like 128kbps but when a speaker is placed by your feet it’s not being projected or bouncing towards you properly.

Yes, you can.
As with all aspects of high-end audio, every link in the chain contributes or detracts from the overall end-user experience. When playing the default streaming service, (Slacker/LiveXLive), the sound, while generally very good, does not sound as good as connecting to an iPhone and playing Qobuz streaming in CD Quality. The dynamics are more pleasing/visceral. The high-end is less grating Even with the performance hit you take by passing it through Tesla's Bluetooth, high res streaming still sounds better. You can "feel" it.
Thus my interest in optimizing the path.
As far as speaker placement, if you have a luxury interior configuration, Tesla comes with 14 separately amped, optimally positioned speakers including a dual-core subwoofer firing from the rear trunk. This combined with the fact that Tesla's are about as quiet a moving sound environment you will ever find, makes for a pretty ideal listening environment.
It is a pity that a direct USB physical connection to a smartphone is not possible. That would be ideal. Barring that, full integration with Teslas onboard audio interface would be great. So far, there is only the addition of Spotify. Spotify's source stream is inferior to Qobuz.

It would be a logical marriage for Tesla to adopt high res streaming into their audio system. The best sound for the best car on the market.

Just sayin'. :)

• Informative
Reactions: rjpjnk and Matsayz