Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMS? Battery Experts Please Explain: New Battery 269 miles @ 100%, 2K Miles Later 276 Miles @ 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI: I have 2016.5 P90DL with a V3 battery #1088792-00-A (New Battery) my previous battery V3 #1088790-00-A (269 miles of range at 100% SOC when replaced)

So I have posted about this before and had some interesting discussions with some Members yet have never been given a truly legitimate response especially since as I continue to add miles I have no battery degradation. So the arguments that it's a BMS thing don't make sense the more I continue to add miles. At some point it should start showing signs of losing range and still it has continued to increase. So please give me a factual explanation cause I understand that batteries cannot gain more range but they sure as hell should also not lose any range especially while I continue to add more miles.
I still think the batteries are kept from reaching a true SOC of a 100% leaving room for the battery to stay or in my case gain range. It's really the only explanation that makes sense, or I have had 100 packs limited to 90 packs, labeled as 90 packs but find that theory much more implausible.
SO, TO ALL THE BATTERY EXPERTS OUT THERE PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR BEST EXPLANATION!

Note:
1. I drive with ludicrous on 95%-99% of the time.
2. I rarely ever use superchargers and use Tesla's adapter to my dryer which is 24 amps max
3. I charge to 100% probably at least twice a month if not more.
4. I never let it go below 50-60 miles, not necessarily by choice just have other cars so rarely gets to the point where I use it enough in a day to ever go below that. With my old battery bused on road trip only twice battery range was 269 when replaced for there being something wrong with it, had huge loss of performance under 450 kw at 100% SOC and max batter.
5. With my current battery I have never gone on a road trip so mainly the reason why it has never been below probably 60 miles and the rare use of superchargers. Drive other's cars instead cause I don't like waiting to charge

IMG_E0139.JPG

I will be taking a road trip and I will drive it in range mode and try to see how much range I get. I will still be going 65-80 mph and using my music, AC/Heater etc but will try to keep it from using too much power while I do the trip.

If you want to buy my Tesla let me know. It has over $175,000 invested and has faster 0-60 mph times than P100D's and I have yet to test it after doing a supercharger which adds 8-10 kw. I know this cause I have already tested the kw. Right now it get around 493-494kw. Will get over 503kw after supercharger. When first purchased got as high as 520kw with supercharger. So has lost 17kw in 2k miles maybe 3K iles would have to check again. Has the top time for Tesla's on draggy device in January. Just got the draggy so has only recorded 0-60 mph at 493kw max power no launch mode.

I’m not a battery expert but I don’t think anyone will be able to give you a factual explanation unless they understand the algorithm that calculates the displayed range. Here’s some things I do know from doing research on Tesla batteries:

- 100% displayed SOC is equal to ~4.2 volts, which is essentially the industry standard for a max charge of a lithium-ion battery. You can see this for yourself by reading data off the CAN bus (requires an app, an OBD2 adapter and a Bluetooth dongle).
- All lithium-ion batteries degrade. We (the human species) have not developed lithium-ion batteries with zero degradation (yet), although I’d argue Jeff Dahn and his team is probably going to get damn close with their research and equipment. Tesla batteries are among the best in terms of minimizing degradation.
- The only way to truly know your battery degradation is to read the total capacity (kWh) from the CAN bus when you first purchased the vehicle and what it is now. I posted an example in another thread on a 70D loaner I had that was showing 217 miles displayed range at a 100% SOC. That would suggest a 9% degradation but when I was measured the total capacity (kWh) off the CAN bus, the true degradation was closer to 5% (using published total capacity when the 70D is new).
- Many folks suspect the displayed range takes into account your driving habit patterns or “style”. I have no clue what it does, but I suspect it’s taking into account a number of variables that affect the displayed range.

• Informative
Reactions: Daddy S
I’m not a battery expert but I don’t think anyone will be able to give you a factual explanation unless they understand the algorithm that calculates the displayed range. Here’s some things I do know from doing research on Tesla batteries:

- 100% displayed SOC is equal to ~4.2 volts, which is essentially the industry standard for a max charge of a lithium-ion battery. You can see this for yourself by reading data off the CAN bus (requires an app, an OBD2 adapter and a Bluetooth dongle).
- All lithium-ion batteries degrade. We (the human species) have not developed lithium-ion batteries with zero degradation (yet), although I’d argue Jeff Dahn and his team is probably going to get damn close with their research and equipment. Tesla batteries are among the best in terms of minimizing degradation.
- The only way to truly know your battery degradation is to read the total capacity (kWh) from the CAN bus when you first purchased the vehicle and what it is now. I posted an example in another thread on a 70D loaner I had that was showing 217 miles displayed range at a 100% SOC. That would suggest a 9% degradation but when I was measured the total capacity (kWh) off the CAN bus, the true degradation was closer to 5% (using published total capacity when the 70D is new).
- Many folks suspect the displayed range takes into account your driving habit patterns or “style”. I have no clue what it does, but I suspect it’s taking into account a number of variables that affect the displayed range.
They should let you do "like" as well as "informative"

Been driving Ludicrous Max power doing 0-60mph everyday LOL

Thanks a pretty penny lol. Not sure exactly would say close to $30K as the real carbon fiber parts were not cheap and the custom powder coated two tone rims are priceless. Literally, no one will do it, only other option besides my guy was to paint the red. Mine were coated a total of 4x. Red coat, masked than black coat, gloss coat and clear coat to even it all out. Thge other ones not as much but still had red line coated around and logo in satin black. Also have an exytra set of silver arachnids that I would custom coat agin to your specs or you let me do my thing and I do face satin black with the entire back barrel red and maybe some light red accents on face but probably not unless requested. Tesla logo obviously red. Would take some convincing to get my friend to do this process again as it took 40 days before I got them back.

FYI: I have 2016.5 P90DL with a V3 battery #1088792-00-A (New Battery) my previous battery V3 #1088790-00-A (269 miles of range at 100% SOC when replaced)

So I have posted about this before and had some interesting discussions with some Members yet have never been given a truly legitimate response especially since as I continue to add miles I have no battery degradation. So the arguments that it's a BMS thing don't make sense the more I continue to add miles. At some point it should start showing signs of losing range and still it has continued to increase. So please give me a factual explanation cause I understand that batteries cannot gain more range but they sure as hell should also not lose any range especially while I continue to add more miles.
I still think the batteries are kept from reaching a true SOC of a 100% leaving room for the battery to stay or in my case gain range. It's really the only explanation that makes sense, or I have had 100 packs limited to 90 packs, labeled as 90 packs but find that theory much more implausible.
SO, TO ALL THE BATTERY EXPERTS OUT THERE PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR BEST EXPLANATION!

The one thing that you are pretty much guaranteed is that the number displayed is incorrect.
Batteries are not the exact science that everyone seems to think.
Tesla generally lies with the displayed number.

Every battery is slightly different

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy and Daddy S
A P90D is only rated for 270 miles, and I don't think I have seen reports of people showing more range than that. So my guess is there might be something wrong with the BMS system. Either that or Tesla has made changes in the cell formulation for freshly built 90 kWh packs such that they have more capacity than the older ones. And the initial low rating was because that is the default/initial set point before the BMS learns the actual capacity of your pack. (And are actually closer to 90 kWh.)

• Disagree
Reactions: Daddy S
A P90D is only rated for 270 miles, and I don't think I have seen reports of people showing more range than that. So my guess is there might be something wrong with the BMS system. Either that or Tesla has made changes in the cell formulation for freshly built 90 kWh packs such that they have more capacity than the older ones. And the initial low rating was because that is the default/initial set point before the BMS learns the actual capacity of your pack. (And are actually closer to 90 kWh.)
My previous pack was at 272 at the start and I know others that have been above 270(271). For the P90D that gets 253 I believe also has showed higher than that at 100%. So not sure why that is I'm not the battery expert but the V3 battery I have was the last version 1088792-00-A made but that was years ago unless they gave me a 100 and replaced the stickern but I doubt that based on my kw performance