Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW CEO says Model X only a prototype and hits his head on Falcon Wing Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sat in that selfsame car during the press days - it had nothing of a prototype to me. It couldn't have been either, what with the wringer it was put through by visitors to the Tesla booth. And yes, in German Mr. BMW's declaration came across as rather dismissive.
What exactly makes you think you will notice if it's a prototype or not? Some prototypes are very close to the finished car, not everything is some concept car or alpha version. A prototype can even include many components that are 1:1 the same as in final production even manufactured on the same machines.

According to the German Forum it's a Founder edition car and there have already been several discussion on this forum where people think those cars were to a huge extent "handmade" and not utilizing the production line with the robots to the full extent. So while it might not be officially a prototype the production could have been closer prototype production than to serial production.

Autosalon Genf: BMW checkt Tesla Freunde

He said THIS CAR IS A PROTOTYPE. You could sell a million cars of a Model and then show a prototype car of that Model then it's still nothing wrong with calling it what is is.

Yeah, sure. That's what he meant. :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

As far as the door is concerned it should have green/red light indicator to tell you if there's something our of ordinary (such as door stopping earlier than expected).

That's an interesting idea, not that it would have mattered in this case because he wasn't paying attention. He knew from his peripheral vision that it wasn't fully open because he was stooping down, but his attention was on having been caught (and recognized) by the media sitting in the vehicle.

There are so many ways he could have played that and come out looking good, instead he made a snide comment and tried to run like a child. What happened right there is a little thing called Karma.

I'm not sure why people have such a hard time understanding this, but he never said that the Model X is some prototype concept car. He said THIS CAR IS A PROTOTYPE. You could sell a million cars of a Model and then show a prototype car of that Model then it's still nothing wrong with calling it what is is.
The CEO of BMW obviously is aware that the X is in production, and it is obvious that the X Tesla showed at Geneva is not one of the prototype X's. Tesla would not do that at this point when the X is being produced in volume. Tesla would send a production car to that show because it is clear that it will attract a lot of attention and be heavily scrutinized. And as others have pointed out that were at the Geneva show, the X shown was not a prototype. The BMW guy was deliberately making dismissive statements about the X.
BMW is running scared. They know they are years behind Tesla in the EV space.

They know they are years behind Tesla in the EV space.

Tesla are years behind Tesla in the EV space. :wink:

Quote from some bloke in November 2013 called Elon Musk that works round there on a part-time basis:

"I think for the X, we are aiming for maybe a few units at the end of next year, but volume production is – it’s a high volume production is probably Q2 2015, so high volume mean volumes comparable to the Model S at that time."

So what you all are saying is that you think the Model X cars Tesla build in September were build the same way as the cars they build in December and build now (apart from minor modifications) and that those Founder cars were not build using more manual work instead of robots than the finals serial production line uses?

A prototype, by definition, is a non-fully-functional unit intended for testing, design validation, or as a proof of concept. Even if this particular unit at the Geneva show was a Founders edition made entirely by hand, that does NOT make it a prototype. So, whether Mr. BMW was talking about Model X in general, or the particular unit he sat in, the statement is inaccurate and disingenuous, most likely intended to disparage the Tesla brand.

Maybe the BMW CEO was trying to compliment the Model-X? Most companies concept cars look way better than what ends up being produced. Maybe he was saying that the Model-X looks so good, it looks like a concept car. Then again, maybe something was lost in translation...

What exactly makes you think you will notice if it's a prototype or not? Some prototypes are very close to the finished car, not everything is some concept car or alpha version. A prototype can even include many components that are 1:1 the same as in final production even manufactured on the same machines.

According to the German Forum it's a Founder edition car and there have already been several discussion on this forum where people think those cars were to a huge extent "handmade" and not utilizing the production line with the robots to the full extent. So while it might not be officially a prototype the production could have been closer prototype production than to serial production.

Autosalon Genf: BMW checkt Tesla Freunde

I won't claim infallibility, but I've been given a 0001 car to drive in traffic, so my take is probably not that of a neophyte. You could be right about it being an early run, more hand built exemplar of the Model X, of course. Nevertheless, as has been commented above, that doesn't square off with the designation of a prototype. And no automotive prototype would be willingly subjected to the kind of abuse that X got. Doesn't happen!

As nice as it would be to think an important head honcho is a jour with Tesla's cunning plans for world domination [I jest!], that might simply be too much to ask. :wink:

Quite amusing to see the BMW CEO trying to frantically leave a Model X after realizing he has been spotted by a journalist.

http://electrek.co/2016/03/07/bmw-ceo-tesla-interview-model-x-hit-head/

Interesting how much in denial the Germans are about Tesla. The BMW CEO goes on to call the Model X a "prototype." And this is before he hits his head in his frantic efforts to be not spotted in a Tesla :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

Ah. Two threads posted at the exact same time :)

View attachment 114099

History people. History. Here's all you need to know.

Ballmer Laughs at iPhone - YouTube

I think the difference is that with a convertible you still have a side B and C pillar that don't move to which you can secure things like seatbelts and curtain airbags. In the X the middle curtain airbags are built into the seat and the seat itself supports the seatbelt. Those are the design challenges when building the safest SUV and choosing falcon doors.

Still, I LOVE the Falcon wing doors!

That said, for my primary use of the vehicle, I sure would have loved folding middle seats, or at least middle seats that could "spoon" the front seats as some speculated after seeing the initial models.

in my bmw 3series convertible the seatbelts are connected to the seats and there is no b or c pillar.. other than the old VW golf convertible and alike i dont know any actual convertible that has a b or c pillar.

but of course it was challenging to make them, but they are clever engineers and seem to have enough confidence in the reliability. so lets see (i personally love these doors, even though i am afraid i wont be able to open them at all in typical german garages, then again i dont have the money for a Model X now anyway)

Apparently Tesla figured that electric actuators were better suited.

I cancelled my reservation last week, but one of my concerns was possible longterm issues with those doors. Hopefully they will be OK, but they sound quite complicated so it was a slight worry for me. I am not really a car "geek" and I loathe the service trip I currently have to make every 2 years to the garage 20 minutes away - so having read lots of people saying "Yeah it's cutting edge technology so you gotta expect a few trips to the dealer in the 1st year" that is a nightmare for me.

Errr....and the price in Europe was just too rich for me. I could write the cheque but I just don't love the car that much. Aston Martin DB11 is a different subject :)