Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW has no plans for third electric i-car, still weighing demand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
BMW trademarked the series through to number i9, hinting at the extent of its ambition, but the company's management board member in charge of production said it currently has no plans to add to the i3 and the i8 hybrid sportscar.

Krueger declined to give a specific figure for BMW's current rate of production for the i3, which is made in Leipzig, Germany.

Read more http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/28/us-bmw-electric-icars-idUSBREA0R0Z120140128

The next sensible thing to me would be an i5 full sized sedan or station wagon. With enough range for travel between cities. That would mean real competition to the current ICE models. So this step would show if BMW is serious with going EV.

I guess BMW will wait for a few years more, before coming to the decision that it hurts too much to see Tesla eating their cake. :confused:

Speculation: If they were to announce that they were indeed intent on releasing, and hard at work on a car that probably will be better looking than the i3, and also have more range, wouldn’t that mean that they would risk lower sales of the i3 due to a possible Osborne effect?

Speculation: If they were to announce that they were indeed intent on releasing, and hard at work on a car that probably will be better looking than the i3, and also have more range, wouldn’t that mean that they would risk lower sales of the i3 due to a possible Osborne effect?

Not if they say the i5 is a direct competitor to the Model S. i3 is a city car in the $43k-$57k price range. Not much room between $57k and $71k. BMW can't pretend they will have a successful i5 that does not compete directly with a Model S. If the base i5 comes in significantly cheaper than a base Model S then the public will be pleasantly surprised.

The i series has an electric drivetrain, batteries and uses carbon fiber structurally. I'm sure there are a few things to work out with the technology before they'll make a decision on the next model. Give them a year or two of production at least.

Besides, they'll also be waiting for the Model X. The Model X would mean Tesla has 4WD and could eat into their SUV sales. Then's the time to commit to more electrics.