Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3 versus Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If, by electronics, he means auto braking, lane assist, and other collision prevention features, I would agree.
The Model S is 'growing up' and really needs to add those features.
Both, for competition reasons, as well as safety and IHSTA ratings.

Except that of course gas stations number in the 100,000s and there are 100 superchargers.

My issue is the i3 is pretty small for a road trip.

- - - Updated - - -

The comparison with the i3 is ludicrous and not worth the time of day. What we have here is a case of congenital brand addiction, which seems to afflict many BMW owners.

The real test for me what BMW owners who've driven the Model S think. My brother is a long-time BMW owner -- over the last 25 years he's probably owned 5 or 6, including an M5 or two. When he drove my Model S he acknowledged that it was a better car in almost every way. Over the time he's had BMWs his stories about his experiences with BMW dealers and service are legion, and not in a positive way. When I tell him about Tesla service and reliability he's amazed. He's just not ready for a BEV. I'm working on him, believe me.

The other day I pulled into a Starbucks, and as always, the car was getting a lot of attention and questions. One of the inquirers was an M5 owner, and I let him do a 10 minute test drive. When we returned to the Starbucks he said to his wife: "Time to sell the M5." That the apple I want to compare and it's enough for me:)

Except that if someone is looking for a BEV, the options are limited and so all are comparable in my opinion. Considering I got a Leaf after canceling a Tesla reservation....

If there were only 5 ICE cars, they would all be cross shopped, even if one was a Toyota Corolla and the other was a M5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol at the thought that stopping to pay for gas every ONE HOUR (70mi) once you are past 160mi is better than 20min at a free supercharger every two hours or 40min every four hours

I thought the Volt had about a 400-odd-mile range, on gas? (from memory, and a memory that doesn't really care :wink:). So not every hour. But your point still holds!

re Volts in general, I test drove a 2013 Volt just prior to the 2014's coming out, and was very impressed. Would have gotten me mostly off ICE, still the range for trips, much less maintenance, etc. Since Tesla was my end game, I was seriously thinking to buy the Volt, then sell it when GenIII came out. And I probably would have played "no gas" games too, just not at the OCD level. But then I realized that the capital cost of a Volt and a GenIII would pretty much equal a Model S. So on to Plan B and don't look back!! (Soooooo happy!!!! :love:).

The i3/MS comparison chart is ridiculous.

EDIT: Oops - got my threads mixed up - this also applies to the "Volt electric range anxiety" thread

Last edited:
xxwtUM8.gif