Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I understand that the car might be interesting for the american drivers. But I do not understand why european drivers should buy it.

IMHO the Renault Zoe is in most points better. Even in the crash test:

Renault ZOE | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating

BMW i3 | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating

The BMW is only better in acceleration. But the much cheaper Renault offers more space and a bigger range. The standard equipment seems to be better in the Renault, too. It is safer, imho prettier. Renault has front wheel drive, so is better on snow, too.

Build quality? No, I do not think that the BMW is much better, they had so many issues ( e.g. brakes ) on their newer combustion engine cars.

In fairness though – if you look at the test scores, there doesn’t really seem to be any significant difference. It appears the i3 just barely missed 5 stars for some reason…

Hmm. Seems like any potential BMW i3 buyer would also consider the BMW X1.
As I understand it, in Europe, relatively few people prefer a less handling, high riding Jeep-derivative. So in Europe – if in the Bimmer shop – potential i3 buyers might look at the 1 Series 5-door Sports Hatch, the 3 Series Touring and the 3 Series Gran Turismo. All with petrol and diesel engines so (relatively) efficient they’re not even on sale in the US… The European diesel and petrol prices as compared to the US ones, as well as the European public being more aligned with the consensus of the 97% of Climate Scientists on Global Warming/Climate Change will also be contributing factors.

As for the US …I probably don’t know.

BMW says the i3 gets 80-100miles. In reality it was 65. BMW says the Range Extender adds 70-90 miles. In reality it's 40-50. That makes the max range of the ranged extended version 105-115 miles total. That is very bad.

It's slow. Its performance literally sucks when you get low (limited to 44mph while on highway when you get too low?? That is DANGEROUS.) It doesn't go very far (that wouldn't even get me to work one direction in the range extended mode, let alone the return trip...and besides even if it get me the range you'd probably die anyway on the NJT getting run over by trucks going twice as fast while your car it trying to charge itself just to go faster than 50mph). It's missing common safety features. Oh, and it's ugly as sin. Fell out of the damn ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. What a joke. BMW major fail.

First Review In: 2014 BMW i3 Range Extender Performance Limited

.../ It's slow. Its performance literally sucks when you get low (limited to 44mph while on highway when you get too low?? That is DANGEROUS.) /.../ you'd probably die anyway on the NJT getting run over by trucks going twice as fast while your car it trying to charge itself just to go faster than 50mph). /...

According to the article from Green Car Reports you're referring to:

…/ According to the reviewer, the car slowed to just 44 mph or so heading up an incline, proving an impediment to even heavy commercial trucks that are limited to 56 mph in the UK.

Once it return to flat roads, the car crept slowly back up to motorway speeds. [My underline.]

/…/

The reason is simple, as BMW explains. When charge in the battery pack falls too low, the car prioritizes boosting the battery during range-extended mode, rather than maintaining performance.

But that may be little consolation if you're attempting a longer journey.

What the journalist should have done, says BMW, is engage the range-extender when there's still 30 to 40 percent of the charge left in the battery. That way, it's always kept topped-up and consistent performance is maintained for longer. [My underline.] /…

Green Car Reports – First Review In: 2014 BMW i3 Range Extender Performance Limited

.../ BMW says the i3 gets 80-100miles. In reality it was 65. BMW says the Range Extender adds 70-90 miles. In reality it's 40-50. That makes the max range of the ranged extended version 105-115 miles total. That is very bad. /...
It will go forever as long as you keep refueling the tank. Or am I missing something?

- - - Updated - - -

…/ It's missing common safety features. /…
What common safety features is it missing?

BMW says the i3 gets 80-100miles. In reality it was 65. BMW says the Range Extender adds 70-90 miles. In reality it's 40-50. That makes the max range of the ranged extended version 105-115 miles total. That is very bad.
I'll wait for the EPA ratings. The 65 I think was highway with AC on and in cold weather. The "range extender" is not intended for use like a Volt (it's more for emergencies).

- - - Updated - - -

It will go forever as long as you keep refueling the tank. Or am I missing something?
Unless you intend to stop every 50 miles for fuel, it's not a very practical way to travel on long trips. Even carrying an extra gas can, it's a hassle to have to stop that often.

.../ Unless you intend to stop every 50 miles for fuel, it's not a very practical way to travel on long trips. Even carrying an extra gas can, it's a hassle to have to stop that often.
I agree that it’s a hassle to stop, as compared to not having to stop. And is carrying a gas can a good idea if you were to luck out and become involved in an accident?

But if you start out with a full tank and want to travel ~260 miles, then it seems that would be about 3 stops. Unless there are significant queues at the various gas stations, then that would add like what? 15-20 minutes? Doesn’t really seem to be that though to be honest… And it seems these fill ups should be pretty swift ones…

But if you start out with a full tank and want to travel ~260 miles, then it seems that would be about 3 stops. Unless there are significant queues at the various gas stations, then that would add like what? 15-20 minutes? Doesn’t really seem to be that though to be honest… And it seems these fill ups should be pretty swift ones…
The problem is if you have to stop that often, the time you lose from getting off the freeway becomes significant. I think you lose way more than only around 5 minutes per stop. And keep in mind, you can go those 260 miles in a Volt or Model S non-stop.

In all, the range extender in the i3 is simply not suitable for long trips (because of gas tank size).

...In all, the range extender in the i3 is simply not suitable for long trips (because of gas tank size).

Folks,

The i3 is meant to be a city vehicle. It does a great job being a city vehicle. In fact it's even appropriate in Southern California bumper to bumper freeway driving. The REX is there as a "safety" precaution for those that feel they need it. Frankly, for some of us, it's not an either the i3 or a Tesla choice. It could be an i3 AND a Tesla. Over the past two and a half weeks of welcoming our Model S home, I've driven it in LA traffic and it is a comfortable ride. However, as quick as it is. It's such a large car that I'm not as comfortable cutting in front of people as I usually do in my Active E (not in my wife's Roadster as it is HER car, not mine).

The i3 with REX would stay home on the longer trips and the Model S will go. And anything too far. I'll fly and rent a car (preferably an EV), take public transportation, or take a cab/car service.

Now on the BMW i equation, if one wanted to drive on a long trip in a car as an i3 owner. BMW gives credits to its owners to rent ICE BMWs (yes, I know, doesn't quite go with the EVs for all driving) but they basically provide i3 owners with the opportunity to drive "hybrid" with the help of a loaner fleet of ICE BMWs. BMW DOES have a lot invested in its "other" technology.

The i3 is meant to be a city vehicle. It does a great job being a city vehicle. In fact it's even appropriate in Southern California bumper to bumper freeway driving. The REX is there as a "safety" precaution for those that feel they need it.
That's what I have been trying to point out is the role of the REx as designed. However, with a simple change (larger gas tank), the REx can be far more than just a backup and actually worth the asking price ($4k can buy you lots of tows).

That's what I have been trying to point out is the role of the REx as designed. However, with a simple change (larger gas tank), the REx can be far more than just a backup and actually worth the asking price ($4k can buy you lots of tows).

I, as well as other participants in the Active E program, also pointed out that perhaps they should have just shoved some more batteries where the REX void and gas tank would be and provide the i3 with more range! If the i3 would have started with 130-150 miles of EV range it would've been a "no brainer" as it is... We're still waiting to see what the deal would be for Active E participants.

The problem is if you have to stop that often, the time you lose from getting off the freeway becomes significant. I think you lose way more than only around 5 minutes per stop. And keep in mind, you can go those 260 miles in a Volt or Model S non-stop. /…

Granted – I’ve never been on a US freeway. In Sweden it wouldn’t be that much of a problem. Here, there are plenty of gas stations no further than two or three golf drives away from the freeway… You might have to look up where they are in advance, but it wouldn’t be more difficult than that. And you would perhaps also have to stop at gas stations that aren’t owned by the Norwegians, which would of course make you feel really bad (The others are owned, or part owned, by Shell, some Kuwaiti and some Saudi Arabian. Shell IMO is a particularly immoral corporation, and being Kuwaiti and Saudi Arabian in this case means that they’re closely linked to their respective very, very undemocratic and massively corrupt regimes)…

I of course agree though that a product from Tesla is much and a lot better than a product from BMW for the foreseeable future. But as has been stated, not everyone can afford or seem to be willing to shell out for a 85 kWh Model S…

Regarding the Volt: The refueling nuisance aside, do we know which one of the i3 REx and the Volt that is the more fuel efficient for longer trips?