Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A local "litmus test" of sorts will be to see how well it does driving from San Francisco to Lake Tahoe. A lot of high speed steep grade driving there.

I assume it would take a handful of stops for gas and if possible re-charging for the i3 to make this trip. In fairness, this really isn't the kind of trip that this car appears to be marketed. Even a MS will need to stop at least once to recharge on the way up to Tahoe from the SF Bay Area.

I assume it would take a handful of stops for gas and if possible re-charging for the i3 to make this trip. In fairness, this really isn't the kind of trip that this car appears to be marketed. Even a MS will need to stop at least once to recharge on the way up to Tahoe from the SF Bay Area.

I agree, we had to make one 20 min stop up to LT. There would be at least 3 stops with the i3 and much time wasted

BaV1XAsCYAAEVV_.jpg
Thank you for this chart.

And a request. Can you change the range for the mph to [30,60] and attach an image of that as well? I find the crossover points of Aerodynamics, Drivetrain, and Tires quite interesting in the [40,50] range. Also it might help for that image to remove Total Power from the rendering.

Thanks again.

Edit:
Also if you have any more detail or "rough thoughts" on degree of impact of tire flavors have on the Tires curve that would be interesting as well. In short, a ballpark feel for "LRR can at most buy you roughly ___ improvement over non-LRR". Not sure if you've done much research in this regard or not but I figure it's worth asking. :)

An increase of the maximum REx power output would not impact compliance with regulatory requirements. Moreover, CARB stated that they were interested in gathering feedback from BEVx vehicles on the market, and will consider adjusting the the ZEV mandate to improve BEVx market acceptance, and help increase the total number of EV miles driven.

Yeah, CARB knows best, just like they did with MTBE and water supplies.:mad:

Michael

I have driven the i3 last week. It was the version with the Range Extender.

I also finally got the chance to pilot the Model S. But I will give my impressions on that in a separate thread.

It seems to me that the i3 is massively underrated. Real world performance is a lot closer to the Model S than to a Leaf or a Zoe. From 0-100 kph it feels really strong. The carbon chassis is very stiff, thus translating into a truly unique steering feel. The handling feels sublime and all around visibility is just superb. I also liked the cabin with its premium leather and materials. The driving position is absolutely perfect. Overall the driving experience is in a completely different league to a Volt, Zoe or Leaf.

I activated the range extender at 50% battery range. You hardly notice this little engine actually running. Power and acceleration were unaffected. But that will change with the battery running low.
Still, there are some downsides. Above 130kph power seems to fade away. I also found the aggressive regen pedal to be a bit annoying. And the range can quickly drop below 100km if you push it.

I still think this is the best EV on the market.

I have driven the i3 last week. It was the version with the Range Extender.

I also finally got the chance to pilot the Model S. But I will give my impressions on that in a separate thread.

I still think this is the best EV on the market.

"Realist == Bait" as per lolachampcar.

Can't resist taking it :) The last quote's laughable already but, I'll have to test drive the i3 as well to be sure :rolleyes:

I still would like to get an answer for why should I or anyone pay $10K to 15K more than the Leaf for effectively the same range as the Leaf and with what many would consider this as a two door car ? Because it has a BMW tag ..?

Last edited by a moderator:
@turtle: i3 is on sale in Germany since mid November.

I drove it. The car is really nicely put together and has good acceleration.

@Realist Why it would qualify as an EV is beyond me. But hey, the classification as a ZEV is an American invention, so some reality distortion is already at play in this sector :wink:

I also sat in an i3, didn't drive it my self but it was a very nice car. I don't quite like the styling, but hey it's a great thing that we are all different and have different opinions. It wouldn't be any fun if everyone drove a Model S, right? I think I will have to differ though with Realist when it comes to the best EV part. But the i3 is an EV.

@turtle: i3 is on sale in Germany since mid November.

I drove it. The car is really nicely put together and has good acceleration.

@Realist Why it would qualify as an EV is beyond me. But hey, the classification as a ZEV is an American invention, so some reality distortion is already at play in this sector :wink:

Thanks for the update. AFAIK, it is not available here in the US until Spring 2014.

On a separate but related topic, is the Mercedes B class EV (a true EV) available yet in Germany?

So the i3 is an electric vehicle first and with the REX it's actually a hybrid, mainly powered electric. I think everyone can agree on that.

To me the i3 was really nice to drive. I liked the rigid chassis and fantastic visibilty. The whole design concept is visionary and you will see many cars following that path. The performance is more than enough for most people. If you do like a fascinating electric car the i3 is unbeatable in it's price range.

To me it was more fun than the Model S.

They also told me that an i5 with more room and 250 km range is in the works for 2015.

What exactly did you find to be "more fun" about driving the i3? I genuinely want to know. I have not driven an i3 so cannot compare it with the Model S.

Thanks.

It's a heck of a lot easier to cut in front of others in traffic than the Model S. Plenty of Zippiness in traffic. It rides higher than I like, like an SUV or minivan seat than a car/coupe. I like the size vs. the Model S. It's also "eye level" with other cars vs. the Roadster.