Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the Germans had good taste in cars? The i3 selling better than the Model S? Doesn't make any sense

Well, considering the price, plus the fact that (at least over here) the first quarter traditionally isn't a time where a lot of cars are sold, I think Model S sales are quite good.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes when things seem to be a little too good to be true, there could be an alternate explanation… If you know what I mean :wink:

Well, perhaps the "ADAC virus" has spread indeed ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

And, it's German-made. They don't prefer foreign brands as much?!

On the whole, true. But when it comes to high-end cars (and Model S is priced as one), Germans are quite fond of Maserati, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Rolls, Bentley, Lambo and the like (ok, the last three are German-owned so maybe they don't count in that respect...)

Well the i3 is half the price of the S.

I am curious to see how the i3 will sell in Norway.
We already have some data (Model S in paranthesis):

October: 0 (99)
November: 12 (527)
December: 39 (553)
January: 82 (132)
February: 228 (431)
March: 336 (1494)

My guess is that the i3 will do okay, not as good as the Model S, Leaf, e-Golf or e-Up!, but maintain a solid 5th place (6th place, if you also include the Outlander PHEV).

So, which is it? Are they building 150 a day, or is that a inference?

Are they only selling 100-200 per month, or some other number?

As stated, the numbers I gave for i3 and Model S were the newly registered cars per said months, i.e. in March for example, 143 Model S were newly registered in Germany vs 230 i3 (not "from January to March", but "in March"). Sales can be much higher, this is only those delivered vehicles that newly hit the actual roads.

Here are the i3 numbers again (Model S in brackets):
Jan: 229 (30)
Feb: 179 (66)
Mar: 230 (143)

Drove the i3 this morning...

First impressions (I'm sure none of this is new to many of you):

Regen is fantastic, nice and strong and regen stays on until you've come to a complete stop. (no need to hit the brake pedal at all!)

It understeers like a pig at moderate speeds when circling a roundabout. I think if I had an i3 I'd be tempted to find some fatter tires/rims for the front. :)

Overall, it's a nice car. I'm not in the market for a 2nd EV right now, but if I were it's a solid choice.

I test drove an i3 on Thursday.
I am taller, so it was not as comfortable for me to fit into as my MS, particularly the rear seat.

IF it had more overall BEV range, more interior space and better storage: I could see it being a competitor to Model S40 city commuter car, mostly because it would be easier to park (but they don't make the S40 anymore).
I did not see any of the models that had the secondary (combustion) engines which extends the range.
Since it is being promoted as environmentally friendly, they also gave me a "gimme bag" with burlap inside.

The rear suicide doors are a bit wonky/cumbersome, so getting a third and fourth (full size) passenger into the car is a bit of a challenge.
(I have a maxi-scooter that has half as much storage/carrying trunk space as this car, not counting the rear seat area.)

Pluses: nice acceleration off the line, nimble feel to steering, easy to manage in traffic, nice back-up video display graphics. Test drive was on neighborhood streets and side streets. I do not have any experience driving it on the open road or highway.
Minuses: limited mileage range, smallish storage, limited people carrying, cost (relative to other available cars in this size and performance category.)

I prefer the creep mode in my MS to the sudden deceleration by taking my foot off the go pedal.
15 minutes of driving would resolve that.
Shifting of gears and ON/OFF is not as successful (or as intuitive) as a MS.

Looks are subjective, as are how people fit inside of their vehicle.
It is certainly not your father's BMW.
Nor in my view is it a valid (overall) competitor to MS.

I DO hope it is successful in securing its place in the EV market, which makes the most sense for broader EV acceptance.
My view: any large existing car manufacturer with a performance heritage bringing an EV to the market is a huge step for overall EV acceptance.
How aggressively and committed BMW is to market and promote their EV model(s) does have a lot to do with ALL EVs success.

BMW i3 is a joke.
I think they only repurposed it to an BEV to test their new carbonfiber manufacturing line.
Disagree that it's a joke. Exploring CF manufacturing in a low-volume car is certainly one of the benefits to BMW of building the car, but far from the only reason it was built. I think not getting the CA white-sticker for the REX model really hurt them in the States -- they tried to design/size for that goal, and now the REX 2-gal gas tank size just seems silly.
and needed some big income, so a BEV was the perfect justification.
Huh?

Just had my first i3 sighting somewhere near Menlo Park on Hwy 101; it was going in the opposite direction at speed with no headlights on :cursing: despite the rain here today.

The front's unmistakable and the car's raised profile made it very visible even over the concrete hwy divider. Was definitely distinctive. As I glanced at the back in my side mirror, for some reason, it immediately reminded me of Walter White's Pontiac Aztek in Breaking Bad :D