Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW I4 prices and specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with a lot of this but thinking the idrive is buggy compared to Tesla software is quite funny.

Agreed seems a bit rich, I've had my car reboot twice this week alone, once instigated by me due to complete freezing of the UI, the second simply selecting USB media caused a reboot. Whilst my previous BMW didn't have the most recent iDrive system it never once misbehaved.

But we get new features such as the ability to change the car graphic colour, so all is not lost :)

Latest Bjorn video after a week of various reviews/tests and he really rates the i4 is his conclusion. He rates Tesla and Polestar too and he doesn’t report any of the issues with the i4 that Richard Symons reports. He also doesn’t find any issues with the idrive. Just shows that pick your reviewer and you’ll find one that tells you what you want to hear.

Reactions: pipestem
Latest Bjorn video after a week of various reviews/tests and he really rates the i4 is his conclusion. He rates Tesla and Polestar too and he doesn’t report any of the issues with the i4 that Richard Symons reports. He also doesn’t find any issues with the idrive. Just shows that pick your reviewer and you’ll find one that tells you what you want to hear.

has he said if he’ll get a 40 in for test? That should do better for efficiency, and if it charges as fast as the 50, it should be even faster on the 1000km challenge.

Agreed seems a bit rich, I've had my car reboot twice this week alone, once instigated by me due to complete freezing of the UI, the second simply selecting USB media caused a reboot. Whilst my previous BMW didn't have the most recent iDrive system it never once misbehaved.

But we get new features such as the ability to change the car graphic colour, so all is not lost :)
I have to differ on how reliable BMW's iDrive is... I had a 430d before my M3P (which has been fine).
The 4 series had a complete software failure that not only took out the iDrive, but the dash stopped working, so no speed.
I used the BMW call and they said to turn the car off for 30 mins and then come back, as I had tried stopping and starting.
After 30 mins it did start working again but refused to set the time and I had to take it into a dealer for them to fix it with updates I think, as it was handled under warranty.
Oh and I am never getting another BMW until they get rid of the fugly nostril grill ;)

Tyre choice? Tesla seem to go for premium tyres, the i4 I drove had something I didn't immediately recognise.
Could be and that's the odd thing about Symons, he's been on a carwow video comparing cars on the drag strip and they discussed tyres as making the difference but then he makes no reference to them here that I remember. As mentioned by somebody, the latest Bjorn conclusion showed he really liked the car and has not commented on a similar thing, maybe thats because he was on winter tyres which supports your thoughts.

At the end of the day they're both good cars and I see no point in dismissing a car because it was beaten in a bit of a childish traffic light grand prix

At the end of the day they're both good cars and I see no point in dismissing a car because it was beaten in a bit of a childish traffic light grand prix
My take on the R Symons video wasn't so much about dismissing the BMW, and I'm not worried about which was fastest, just how the cars behaved. It was notable how effortless the traction control took care of things on the Teslas, whereas it looked to me like the BMW was getting into a bit of a state trying to get some grip. Tyres, weather and all that of course play a part, but I would still have expected more composure from the BMW.

My take on the R Symons video wasn't so much about dismissing the BMW, and I'm not worried about which was fastest, just how the cars behaved. It was notable how effortless the traction control took care of things on the Teslas, whereas it looked to me like the BMW was getting into a bit of a state trying to get some grip. Tyres, weather and all that of course play a part, but I would still have expected more composure from the BMW.
Perhaps BMW wanted to give a "muscle car" type of experience, rather than the seamless display of power from Tesla... and so set the traction control accordingly!

He's still the only person to have a video showing anything but composure in a i4 almost to the point he's doing it deliberately. I can only comment on what I see and he's made numerous mistakes and as well as tyre choice, he may not have bothered checking the tyre pressure, if its a press car has he checked the tread depth, were they cold, lots of things. No one review can be trusted, you have to look at a number and see the common themes that come out, and what he says just isn't happening elsewhere that I've noticed. But as I said previously, he lost all credibility when he just dismissed head up displays, a dash, the ability to use carplay etc while praising Tesla for the gimmicks. That was hardly a balanced view.

He's still the only person to have a video showing anything but composure in a i4 almost to the point he's doing it deliberately. I can only comment on what I see and he's made numerous mistakes and as well as tyre choice, he may not have bothered checking the tyre pressure, if its a press car has he checked the tread depth, were they cold, lots of things. No one review can be trusted, you have to look at a number and see the common themes that come out, and what he says just isn't happening elsewhere that I've noticed. But as I said previously, he lost all credibility when he just dismissed head up displays, a dash, the ability to use carplay etc while praising Tesla for the gimmicks. That was hardly a balanced view.

I think car wow or another was commenting on it having problems with lag in the throttle response and having trouble getting traction down.

My point was (and is) that he simply floored all the cars and all but the BMW seemed to cope.

As you say, there may be many factors affecting how the car behaved but I would have expected better from the BMW, that's all.

I've also seen reference to the throttle lag elsewhere as well.

EPA ranges for the BMW i4 are in.
I know Tesla seem to be good at gaming the EPA figures i.e. their real world often seems further from the EPA figures than other brands but its still not a pretty picture for BMW.

The most stark number is
BMW i4 M50 on 20" wheels. 227miles. 421wh/m
Equivalent Tesla Model 3 performance 20" wheels. 315miles. 298
ouch

I suspect they are partly hindered because it isn't a bespoke EV design, shared parts and design with an ICE car. It's interesting how the city efficiency figures are not that much lower, so it gulps power at any speed.

ICE cars didn't really worry about electric usage at idle. Although maybe the way to game EPA is with low speed efficiency, I have not read up on their process.

This kinda annoys me, it's clear which is the correct design approach but the traditional manufacturers are so worried about risk they hold themselves back and continue to reuse traditional parts.

interesting the M50 is similar consumption on the 19s as the 40.

Will be interesting to see some more 40 18" real world tests to compare. On the face of it, (without options which is a big caveat) - it sits probably closer to the model 3LR in terms of range, but in the US at least is between the RWD and LR in price.

UK - more like bang on LR money which is a shame. Facelift in a couple of years, throw in some more toys as standard and I could maybe see an i4 40 as a next car. but it needs to do better (And tesla need to open up superchargers :) )

Bit of a thread bump, but I finally went for a test drive over Easter and really quite liked the i4, it was only the 40. It felt smaller in many respects to my M3 but I think that had a lot to do with wrap around seats and centre console, but it wasn't small as such. They said said delivery dates were improving and if I told them what I was after they'd look and see what they could do. Maybe they were just trying not to put me off but as I'm not really in the market at the moment I didn't push it any further.

What it reminded me of, and this video popped up in my feed which reminded me, was the tech I was missing in the M3 even though some claim Tesla tech is the best. This video has them pretty level pegging, albeit a top end petrol BMW v Tesla. They say it's their own cars which to me is more credible than someone jumping into a car for half a day and not really getting to know it so miss loads of details, which is most youtubers. To save you watching it, the conclusion is the BMW has more tech for the driver (head up display, better speed limit reading, better headlights etc), whereas the Tesla is more fun, especially when not driving, and it's down to the individual and which you think is more important. I think that was a pretty fair summary.

Roll on next year when I'll be in the market, but if Tesla open the superchargers by then, something which is still a comfort blanket for me, it's going to be a very interesting problem as to which way to go.

Reactions: Gatsojon