Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW touting a P85D killer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla dosn't have the best interiors, but neither does BMW. To me BMW's interiors are one step above GM's(a small step at that). I really don't know where you guys see any quality and luxury with BMW's cars.

BMW is considered luxury?? Wow that's news to me. Every BMW I've been in wasn't anything special and definitely nothing near a MS and everyone I personally know that owns one or had owned one has said their's was a POS and they'll never buy another one again.

We apparently live in a different universe. In my world BMW is certainly a luxury vehicle and there are many loyal owners, including my engineer/attorney neighbor who just bought his second one.

BMW is considered luxury?? Wow that's news to me. Every BMW I've been in wasn't anything special and definitely nothing near a MS and everyone I personally know that owns one or had owned one has said their's was a POS and they'll never buy another one again.
It really depends on what BMWs you are in... Just like if you show someone your "base" Tesla with textile seats and say it's a luxury vehicle you might get looked at funny by your friends - especially when you tell them you spent $75k on it.
I've owned BMWs for the past 20+ years and have been very loyal to the brand (until now). There is no denying that the upper-end cars (especially the 6-series Gran Coupe) have a way nicer interior compared to the Tesla Model S but fortunately the Model S has enough compelling features and a luxurious enough interior to sway me from the brand I've loved all of my car-loving life. This is a huge statement for me given I never thought I'd own anything else. Tesla's aren't perfect but I believe the P85D will be a better overall car than any BMW/Merc/Audi and I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay. In reverse now: There are several things BMW does right. Interior is as luxurious as it gets (too bad most people don't live in their cars and therefore like to save that kind of luxury for their living quarters, or that many people really do like a minimalist approach), however they could improve overall fuel economy, significantly reduce maintenance costs by getting rid of thousands of parts, actually build a real EV and not just talk about it...

Agreed... although they do have a "real EV" now with the i3 (unless you don't count it because it's ugly LOL).

- - - Updated - - -

Disagree. Everyone can use and enjoy experiencing rapid acceleration on the roads they drive on every day. Very few owners make the effort to take their Model S onto a racetrack to experience driving it at well over street legal speeds for extended periods.

That is why 0-60 times mean something to the typical buyer, and they don't care about whether or not a Model S can do a lap on the Ring flat out (and most people have no idea what we are referring to when we use the word "Ring" in this context).

Sorry, going to disagree with you on this one. 0-60 offers 50% of the "fun" in a driving experience and an underpowered vehicle certainly isn't any fun to drive in most cases. Lightweight and balanced cars that can corner well (Porsche, old BMW M cars, etc) offer another element of fun which is the driving dynamics and is "better" defined by lap times. This is why Porsche has always had the reputation as the best drivers cars - they are lightweight, balanced, and powerful. A Mustang will out-muscle a Porsche - doesn't mean it's a better car for the average driver (unless you prefer the styling?).

To make my point relevant to the BMW vs Tesla debate here... The Tesla doesn't "shine" as a track car (barely useable really) because it shines in other arenas like commuter/family/sedan. The M5 is probably the better overall sedan because it can do both. If Tesla made a "Roadster 2.0" as a dedicated electric track car, it could probably compete with Porsche if it wanted to.

Frankly, I wished that BMW and Tesla would collaborate - take some of the best of BMW (interiors, carbon fiber) and combine with the best of Tesla (platform, tech, battery) and make a proper car.

Tesla dosn't have the best interiors, but neither does BMW. To me BMW's interiors are one step above GM's(a small step at that). I really don't know where you guys see any quality and luxury with BMW's cars.

I tend to agree. I think people forget that the high-end euro brands are also "image" cars - though no owner would ever admit it. :) I'm going to speculate that a huge majority of those owners will see image as a big advantage - if not a major motivator. Tesla on the other hand, I would suggest is almost never bought for image purposes but only for 2 reasons: because it's massively superior in all the important ways, and because it's an EV with all the energy related attributes thereof. In any case, ALL gasoline cars are, to me, extremely boring now that Tesla exists...

I tend to agree. I think people forget that the high-end euro brands are also "image" cars - though no owner would ever admit it. :) I'm going to speculate that a huge majority of those owners will see image as a big advantage - if not a major motivator. Tesla on the other hand, I would suggest is almost never bought for image purposes but only for 2 reasons: because it's massively superior in all the important ways, and because it's an EV with all the energy related attributes thereof. In any case, ALL gasoline cars are, to me, extremely boring now that Tesla exists...
I'm not buying that. I think a lot of Model Ss are bought as image cars, too - is just a slightly different image. This is the car to buy to say "I've arrived, and I care about the environment/future." I suspect most forum members are buying the car for other (better?) reasons, but they aren't the only ones bugging the car by any means.Walter

Agreed... although they do have a "real EV" now with the i3 (unless you don't count it because it's ugly LOL).

Level of ugliness doesn't hit the list as far as I'm concerned for what qualifies as a 'real EV'. However, driving distance on battery power does. The ability to have typical power and performance does. Basically that the EV doesn't have usability compromises.

- - - Updated - - -

Frankly, I wished that BMW and Tesla would collaborate - take some of the best of BMW (interiors, carbon fiber) and combine with the best of Tesla (platform, tech, battery) and make a proper car.

Keep wishing. Just because there's been a media fiasco about BMW and Tesla partnering, doesn't mean it won't happen. There was just as much speculation, angst, doubt etc... about Panasonic partnering with Tesla in the Gigafactory and that turned out just fine. Heck there was a Gigafactory media fiasco about whether it would even get off the ground because it took a bit longer than expected for Tesla to finalize a state deal. Etc., etc., etc... So, don't believe what's been reported from BMW spokespeople until nothing has happened down the road the bit.

Keep wishing. Just because there's been a media fiasco about BMW and Tesla partnering, doesn't mean it won't happen. There was just as much speculation, angst, doubt etc... about Panasonic partnering with Tesla in the Gigafactory and that turned out just fine. Heck there was a Gigafactory media fiasco about whether it would even get off the ground because it took a bit longer than expected for Tesla to finalize a state deal. Etc., etc., etc... So, don't believe what's been reported from BMW spokespeople until nothing has happened down the road the bit.

^^ This. Lots of posturing going on.

I used to lust after BMW's offerings "just because" - it was the "coolest" brand in my eyes before Tesla came on the scene. But, from a reliability and quality of ownership point-of-view, the Z3, 325i and now Mini (if you count them under the BMW umbrella) that we've owned left a lot to be desired. Tesla has exceedingly done well on all those fronts.

^^ This. Lots of posturing going on.

Yes, that's the perfect word. Posturing. Everyone wants to save face, look good, think it was their idea, and seem to get the better end of the deal. And every media outlet wants to be the center of the universe, so will make crap up, and distort and take comments out of context just to get attention. There are too many examples of this happening with Tesla that I can't believe people still keep falling for it.

I have read this thread with interest. The conclusion that I have come to is that most of us are never going to compromise with our cars again. And any hybrid, including the BMW "thing", is a compromise, no matter how fast it goes or the fact that it is made by BMW.

My P85D will be the fastest car I have ever owned. Period. But that is not enough. Plenty of cars go fast. The real reason I am so excited about it is that I see that Tesla has made a revolutionary electric car that has no equal. No other car manufacturer has dared to make anything like it so it is absolutely unique. And you know what? that makes us as Tesla owners unique because we need something more than yet another ICE or hybrid car.

The reason BMW/Audi/Chevrolet come out with these hybrids is that they are scared of us and we are growing in numbers. They naively think we can duped into thinking that these cars are a worthy alternative to the Model S and that we will come back to them. How wrong they are!

All of the major car manufacturers need to grow some balls and produce an all electric car that could challenge the Tesla Model S, X and 3. Until then they are irrelevant.