Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boise to Reno Just Got Easy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh. This is kind of a challenge for people who don't have a CHAdeMO adapter then. The Greenlots stations in McDermitt and Orovada are CHAdeMO and CCS only--they do not have a J1772 at either of them. Looks like the only level 2 charging along this route is the Sunny Ridge RV park, which is open again, in Jordan Valley. I see a couple of checkins from July this summer.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Hi - I make this trip fairly often. Last time through I checked the Say When and the chargers were not operational. I walked over while I was plugged into to Greenlots charger and yes you do need a CHAdeMO adapter. You can however, just swipe your credit card. It does make me nervous to be so reliant on this one charger to make the trip and certainly challenges the range to/from Boise to McDermitt. It would make so much sense for a Supercharger there or at least a destination charger at the Rockhouse Cafe in Jordan Valley.

Maybe we need to form a club, the Tesla Remote Driver’s Club, and install either an HPWC or a J-1772 L2 charger for underserved roads and communities like this. A bit like the Plug-In NCW has done with 80 amp L2 chargers at many sites in north central Washington.
If anyone decides to do this, they should take a look at this thread for inspiration:

The 2 Greenlots Chademo in McDermitt NV both failed me yesterday, 11/1/21, and the remote support tried to get both working and could not. Luckily I made it to Orvada and that Chademo worked. My 75D says I can route back to Boise from Roseville CA through Alturas and Hines but ABRP shows it marginal. Thinking the route through Bend may be better and more scenic

The 2 Greenlots Chademo in McDermitt NV both failed me yesterday, 11/1/21, and the remote support tried to get both working and could not.
I am sorry to hear about your trouble with that, but I can't say I am surprised. I had all kinds of trouble with multiple methods trying to get one to work.

My 75D says I can route back to Boise from Roseville CA through Alturas and Hines but ABRP shows it marginal. Thinking the route through Bend may be better and more scenic
Yeah, I am tempted to use that route from now on--going through Hines(Burns) and Alturas, just to avoid this kind of worry and unreliability of the CHAdeMO stations, even through it adds about 120 miles versus being able to just go down U.S. 95. All the way over to Bend, though? Oof.

I am sorry to hear about your trouble with that, but I can't say I am surprised. I had all kinds of trouble with multiple methods trying to get one to work.

Yeah, I am tempted to use that route from now on--going through Hines(Burns) and Alturas, just to avoid this kind of worry and unreliability of the CHAdeMO stations, even through it adds about 120 miles versus being able to just go down U.S. 95. All the way over to Bend, though? Oof.
Do you know if Alturas to Hines is fairly flat? The distance could be a stretch for my 75D

My 75D says I can route back to Boise from Roseville CA through Alturas and Hines but ABRP shows it marginal.
Definitely wouldn't attempt that one in winter.

I'm not at all sure that the route through Bend is more scenic, but it's definitely the sane route to take in a S75D.

EDIT: scratch that last part. Best route is through Wells, NV and Twin Falls, ID.

Do you know if Alturas to Hines is fairly flat? The distance could be a stretch for my 75D
It's 190 miles and net elevation is down -210 feet going Northward, so I guess that's flat-ish?
Definitely wouldn't attempt that one in winter.

I'm not at all sure that the route through Bend is more scenic, but it's definitely the sane route to take in a S75D.

EDIT: scratch that last part. Best route is through Wells, NV and Twin Falls, ID.
Yeah, 190 miles is kind of reasonable if the weather is good, but not for Winter at all.

About that Twin recommendation, that's longer. I was thinking of this coming from the Reno, NV side, and going through Susanville, Alturas, and Hines only adds 120 miles. Overshooting it to Twin Falls and coming back is about 154 miles extra. But I guess if the 190 mile gap is considered a stretch, that way does have shorter segments, so less worry.

It's ridiculous anyway, that we are here at the end of 2021 still having to figure out which contorted, inconvenient, worrisome route is least painful to deal with this spot. DO BETTER, TESLA!

Reactions: webbbcam
Drove back from Roseville CA via I80, Winnemucca, and Hwy 95, Orvada Greenlots worked, McDermitt is dead, drove a bit under the limit from Orvada NV to Eagle ID and made it home with 17%. BTW, Skinners Rock House coffee in Jordan Valley is nice with great bathrooms.

Attachments

• PNG image.png
    PNG image.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 777
  • Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and Rocky_H