Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bolt EV EPA range = 238 miles combined!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been really concerned that 215 is not enough for my own circumstances. I have one frequent day trip that is about 260 and the only supercharger will surely be very busy as Model 3's pop up. I'm hoping 300+ will be available for a reasonable upcharge.

On a separate issue, it has occurred to me that these early Teslas may face a bleak resale future if battery ranges rapidly increase.If I leased or flipped my car purchases every three or four years, that might not matter much. But I buy and hold each car ten years or more.

Bolt is still $2500 more expensive (unless that changes now) and you will have to pay more for the DC charging option. As we know Tesla already has cars with much bigger range than Bolt (and more expensive). If we compare range we have to compare the price also.
gm also said the price is under review. i expect them to at least match the price of the m3. Any competition is good for us and the m3 now needs to equal the bolts range.

Huge kudos to GM and LG on this one. I hope and expect that this car will sell well above their expectations. Tesla has created quite a halo around electric cars and the Bolt is the first one that can probably really benefit from that.

I also expect that the base model 3 will exceed the Bolt's range. The car is similar in size & weight but has a much lower drag coefficient. And physics is physics.

The 50kw charging limit is a bit of a disappointment. That will limit the car to being mostly a local travel / second car. But at that price, that's probably ok.

Last edited:
Huge kudos to GM and LG on this one. I hope and expect that this car will sell well above their expectations. Tesla has created quite a halo around electric cars and the Bolt is the first one that can probably really benefit from that.

I also expect that the base model 3 will exceed the Bolt's range. The car is similar in size & weight but has a much lower drag coefficient. And physics is physics.

The 50kw charging limit is a bit of a disappointment. That will limit the car to being mostly a local travel / second car. But at that price, that's probably ok.

Final fast charging specs haven't been announced. Figures listed seem to match up with 50 kW, but GM could be downplaying those numbers too.

I'm impressed that GM is upping the ante on range, but... Mary Barra made it crystal clear that GM had no intention to add to charging infrastructure. In order to use the Bolt on road trips they still must provide a fast charging solution. Otherwise they are providing a really good local range, enough for commuting in Los Angeles, Tokyo, Shanghai, Mxico City or São Paulo. Great, but they need to fix the charging situation.

That said, this is very good news. It is excellent to encourage Tesla to provide mare range the hroughout the line. With the Gigafactory coming on line I am sure they'll have a significantly greater range available, including for the refreshed Model X and S. Will Tesla have retrofits available to, say, 150 kWh, sometime within the next couple of years? Probably so, but much depends on the next series of improvements working well in production.

I have a strong belief that we are now beginning to see the kind of advances that will bring electric vehicles to the mass market including municipal busses, urban trucking, as well as a huge variety of consumer-oriented vehicles of all types. I am sure I have only listed a few of the likely candidates. With the fundamental questions of battery capacity, performance and longevity now pretty much solved, and costs nearly solution the only remaining issue is charging infrastructure; that one is also making worldwide progress but the he fast charging networks are very far from adequate. Luckily those can be quite fast to build once there is the will to do so. Luckily, the CharIN consortium is setting standards that are livable, even for Tesla. After all the European Teslas are already CharIN compliant, including Supercharging.

GM is a member too, so we might even begin to see major US commitments, assuming Ford steps up too. I cannot realistically imagine the world of FiatChrysler moving into the 21st century any time soon.

MS P100D: 100 kWh battery / 315 mi = .317 kWh/mi
MS 90D: 90 kWh battery / 294 mi = .306 kWh/mi
MS 75: 75 kWh battery / 259 mi = .290 kWh/mi
MS 60: 60 kWh battery / 218 mi = .275 kWh/mi

Bolt: 60 kWh battery / 238 mi = .252 kWh/mi

Why is the bolt battery more efficient? The Cd of the MS is better so aerodynamics can't be the reason.

It makes sense that the Bolt has a longer range than the base Model 3. GM doesn't give people the option of different sized batteries, which means that for GM, they need to get as high a number as possible, to try to adress as much of the market as possible. On the other hand, the base Model 3 is designed to have the smallest possible range that people still find acceptable. And then for those people who don't think that's sufficient, you always have the upgraded battery with over 300 miles of range.

Just to note, if the Model 3 has 5% lower consumption, and has 55 kWh in the base version and 85 kWh with the largest battery, the base Model 3 will have 230 miles range, and the Model 3 with the largest battery will have 355 miles range.

Reactions: GSP
I've been really concerned that 215 is not enough for my own circumstances. I have one frequent day trip that is about 260 and the only supercharger will surely be very busy as Model 3's pop up. I'm hoping 300+ will be available for a reasonable upcharge.

On a separate issue, it has occurred to me that these early Teslas may face a bleak resale future if battery ranges rapidly increase.If I leased or flipped my car purchases every three or four years, that might not matter much. But I buy and hold each car ten years or more.

the 3 is not for everyone your use senario and lengtth u keep car would give me cause to look elsewhere

Why is the bolt battery more efficient? The Cd of the MS is better so aerodynamics can't be the reason.
Mass?

The Bolt is a much much smaller/lighter than the model S and the Cd does not make much difference in city driving.

Last edited:
Much lower weight due to much smaller size of the Bolt.

The real question is how is Bolt that much more efficient than similarly shaped i3?
We were to believe the i3 is some engineering marvel, superoptimized and what not... and then comes the GM and beats it to the ground with no fancy shmancy carbon-fiber thermo-plastic materials, but with plane old metal.

Bolt is no threat for M3, but is an endgame for i3, Leaf and similar punishment cars.

Much lower weight due to much smaller size of the Bolt.

The real question is how is Bolt that much more efficient than similarly shaped i3?
We were to believe the i3 is some engineering marvel, superoptimized and what not... and then comes the GM and beats it to the ground with no fancy shmancy carbon-fiber thermo-plastic materials, but with plane old metal.

Bolt is no threat for M3, but is an endgame for i3, Leaf and similar punishment cars.

I believe the Bolt does use some carbon fiber, but not nearly to the extent as BMW does with the i3.

Look at the official EPA numbers of the Spark EV, then the i-miev, Fiat 500e, and the Leaf. Spark EV has worse CD numbers than the other 3, yet has the highest MPGe numbers. Aero isn't everything...