Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boombox Feature Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just updated my 2019 Tesla Model 3 with the 'holiday update' and I saw I was able to use the "boombox" feature. Now let me tell you something I was like a kid on christmas, that until I realized I was on santa's naughty list. Because let me tell you the holiday feature update doesn't work for me at all. Like I am able to choose the sounds and hear it within my cars "interior" speakers but the outside ... silence. What's up with that?

Like I can hear the sounds inside of the car, be able to select the sounds I want and even replace the horn sounds.

Get this... when I "replace the horn" guess what? My horn becomes disabled and unable to use it throughout the day.

Why?

PS: for reference my car was 'late 2019'

Does your car have the outside 'Star Wars' noise when you back up? If not, yours was made before the speaker was installed/activated.

I have an Oct 2019 (i think) build, as a 2020 model year. I had the same thing last night, sound inside the cabin, nothing outside. It was getting late so I didn't mess with it much. Will go out there in a bit and try the usual reboot steps. I used to hear the back up noise but haven't noticed it in a while. Not sure if I just got used to it or it stopped.

You likely don't have the external speaker. The way the regulation was written, 50% of vehicles had to be compliant with a Pedestrian Warning System by 9/2019 and 100% had to be compliant by 9/2020. Even if your car was built on or after 9/2019, you only had a 50% chance of it being equipped with the speaker. But, it's likely that your main front wiring harness does have the connector, so I'm sure someone will come up with a way to buy the speaker, plug it in, and adjust the configuration via Tesla Toolbox to activate the speaker.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
Wil Tesla install the speaks on cars with early vins?
Maybe eventually. But don’t expect it to be affordable for most. It appears that Tesla did build some of the q2 2019 cars ready to accept the speaker. But if you’re earlier than that...good luck.
I have an early 2019q2 car, I have the grill opening in the bottom of the undertray and I plan on checking for wiring tomorrow.

I checked and my pedestrian speaker is gone. It used to make that humming/sci fi noise. My neighbor actually asked me about it shortly after I got the car. All I can guess is it got removed when Tesla removed/repainted my front bumper and wasn't put back in.

You likely don't have the external speaker. The way the regulation was written, 50% of vehicles had to be compliant with a Pedestrian Warning System by 9/2019 and 100% had to be compliant by 9/2020. Even if your car was built on or after 9/2019, you only had a 50% chance of it being equipped with the speaker. But, it's likely that your main front wiring harness does have the connector, so I'm sure someone will come up with a way to buy the speaker, plug it in, and adjust the configuration via Tesla Toolbox to activate the speaker.

Interesting point. My wife's Y LR was built in July and didn't have it. Not a big deal, but will inquire with Tesla in the New Year after things have settled down a bit.