Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boombox is here.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they should offer a retrofit, although more for the PWS. I do worry that as all cars have it installed, all pedestrians will fall back to assuming all cars have it regardless of age, so it may make the matter worse for older cars just as some were starting to get use to checking for quiet cars.

Reactions: pow216 and Roy W.
Intersteing that these reprt all mention the increased risk to blind people... you'ld think it was deaf folk more at risk. Hmmm.. perhaps we should legalise strobes to help the deaf?
Reality check - if having sound to alert folk to a car then that needs to be a standard sound for all cars - otherwise it could just be another yahoo with a radio.
Whatever gets decided and however much fun it might be to have a choice of sounds the last thing that's needed is more noise pollution for the sake of it.
And whatever happened to drivers looking where they are going - must be searching for a touch screen icon?
Try closing your eyes and cross a busy car park then let us know which sense you are relying on.

Deaf people can see reversing lights, or see if a driver looks like they are about to start driving from the front. Having a car make a noise isn't very useful to someone who struggles to hear it.

These AVAS noises are not loud, just enough. My Leaf's noise was barely audible inside the car, and certainly isn't anything from more than about 10m away. Anyway Boombox for the UK is novelty horn noises when you are stationary only, and I agree there is no value, and would almost certainly just be annoying. I can't see why Tesla think they would be legal, our law if fairly simple and clear on any 'horns'.

Last edited:
Not really related to delivery (Mine is the 16th yay) but I asked on the chat if the car would have the boombox installed as previously it has not been. Was told the recent deliveries have has the Boombox and boombox enabled in software so thats nice! Can't wait to add this:
Sadly it seems the UK / Europe boombox is seriously limited. The US menu allows you to select Horn sound, Drive sounds and Smart Summon sounds...

We get horn sounds that turn off as soon as you put it in drive. So best we can do is sit in a car park and fart at people as they walk past, or play music outside the car. I was so looking forward to driving with tie fighter SFX! But never know, laws might change...

Reactions: Die5el and Jez_GB