Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speakers Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple more...

Attachments

• IMG_6796.JPEG
    IMG_6796.JPEG
    116.9 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_6800.JPEG
    IMG_6800.JPEG
    149.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6807.JPEG
    IMG_6807.JPEG
    66.6 KB · Views: 120
Any quality sub, in the proper enclosure, with enough power, will be an upgrade. I was going to get the NVX kit too, but then had a chance to listen to it...meh. it sounded like a small box woofer in an enclosure that was still too small. My Y is a daily driver as well. It's actually my work truck. I found though that was never using the sub trunk anyway, so I put it to work. A ported 12, with 600 watts gives me easy more than I need. I'm able to keep everything turned down.
Nicely done! Unfortunately our MY shuttles our kids and all their sports gear. The sub trunk is ideal to keep 3 basketballs from rolling around, so that's not available to me. I wish it were!

This is my first thread so pardon if I screw up

2023 Y
I want to upgrade the sound system and I was told the subwoofer replacement to the OEM is the simplest way to get the beast boom for the buck. same size JBL 8. WILL RUN ABOUT $425 ALL IN

I really wanted a bit more -like a ported 8. in the boot with a 250w amp. . But I was told that was not a good idea because of the weirdness of the cars elecrical system. it would be way too pricy.

ANY IDEAS?

Thanks

Yeah, your 2023 has the 16 volt system. Aftermarket amps use 12 volt. A competent shop can step down the voltage . More difficult than the 12 volt systems, but certainly possible. If you're shop seems afraid of working on a Tesla, try shopping around. I know one in MD that's done both the 12 volt and the 16 volt Tesla routinely.
However, custom fiberglass enclosures, stealth amplifier installs, and working with the Tesla electrical system is NEVER going to be cheap. For a competent subwoofer upgrade, that doesn't cause issues or error codes, you can expect to spend north of 2.5K

Yeah, your 2023 has the 16 volt system. Aftermarket amps use 12 volt. A competent shop can step down the voltage . More difficult than the 12 volt systems, but certainly possible. If you're shop seems afraid of working on a Tesla, try shopping around. I know one in MD that's done both the 12 volt and the 16 volt Tesla routinely.
However, custom fiberglass enclosures, stealth amplifier installs, and working with the Tesla electrical system is NEVER going to be cheap. For a competent subwoofer upgrade, that doesn't cause issues or error codes, you can expect to spend north of 2.5K
Thank you!!

This is my first thread so pardon if I screw up

2023 Y
I want to upgrade the sound system and I was told the subwoofer replacement to the OEM is the simplest way to get the beast boom for the buck. same size JBL 8. WILL RUN ABOUT $425 ALL IN

I really wanted a bit more -like a ported 8. in the boot with a 250w amp. . But I was told that was not a good idea because of the weirdness of the cars elecrical system. it would be way too pricy.

ANY IDEAS?

Thanks
At the beginning, I replaced the original subwoofer with a kickers 8” 200W plus amp. It did offer a significant improvement on bass but still not going deep enough…Hence, I added a genius audio 200W 12” with tailored made enclosure, both subwoofer powered by a 400W amp and the external enclosure was put into the rear bottom trunk. It consumed half of the trunk space but I would say I got both deep and punchy bass now. It just cost US$250 included material and delivery.

The actual output of the 16V system is around 15Vdc and I don’t think u required to step down for amplifier application.

At the beginning, I replaced the original subwoofer with a kickers 8” 200W plus amp. It did offer a significant improvement on bass but still not going deep enough…Hence, I added a genius audio 200W 12” with tailored made enclosure, both subwoofer powered by a 400W amp and the external enclosure was put into the rear bottom trunk. It consumed half of the trunk space but I would say I got both deep and punchy bass now. It just cost US$250 included material and delivery.
Your using both subs together??
I imagine you're getting more cancelation than you think. But to each his own. In sound reinforcement, there's no right or wrong... only what YOU think sounds good.

Your using both subs together??
I imagine you're getting more cancelation than you think. But to each his own. In sound reinforcement, there's no right or wrong... only what YOU think sounds good.
IMG_8173.png

I installed a hi-res mic at the driver seat with sound tool apps to fine tune the frequency spectrum with the EQ setting from modelY. This is the final frequency spectrum after my modification. I am sure there must have significant sound cancellation (similar issue happen on rear door mid range speaker too) but the result is satisfactory from both analytical and practical perspective.

Remark:
1) Amplifiers had been added for A) dash speakers, B) front door woofers and C) subwoofers.
2) As long as I am happy with the current setup, i didn’t have a plan to install the dsp although I already purchased it.

Last edited:
Great information in this thread. I actually was looking into upgrading my factory speakers but your experience has dissuaded me. The factory system is great for what it is but I’d love to get it to sound closer to the fully active McIntosh/Morel system I have in my project car without going fully
The factory speakers are extremely efficient to match the low power amplification in the car. Any aftermarket speaker will lose output. Also, the factory amplifiers are EQ'd for the factory drivers. If you replace the factory speakers and use the factory amps, the equalization built in to the all will not longer be accurate, creating peaks and dips that didn't exist before. "Upgraded" drop in diskettes usually are not upgrades with the factory amplification, period. I took out the Light Harmonic stuff I installed.
I agree with you. I installed the Othello speakers and their woofer. The quality of the speakers are better than stock but the speakers are underpowered with just the factory amp. If I crack up the volume then I can get some of the mid range back. I am thinking about replacing the front door speakers with the LH version 2.. I will let you know how they sound after I install them. On the side note, tesla lend me a 2023 model S for a day while they service my Y and I was very disappointed on the audio system on the S than than my Y.

I couldn’t agree more with not replacing the speakers with upgraded ones. You’ll need more power in order to get the most out of any higher quality aftermarket speaker. You might get better highs from aftermarket speakers but you’ll loose mid bass and bass. This is not only true for teslas but in most cars that have a factory amp. If you’re not happy with the factory system then look to replace both speakers and amp. We recently bought a model y for our shop and the factory premium system sounds decent. It needs more bass in my option and the 8” woofer causes things to rattle in the truck when a song with heavy bass comes on. So we will be adding a subwoofer to the system for sure. Also a
Alpine and Mosconi are coming out with full system replacements that include and amp with a
Tuned DSP along with speakers and a sub.. look out for those when they drop. I believe both systems are targeted to be $3k.