Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boot strut recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dec 2020, Collected car.
February 2022 (Jan?), boot didn't always fully open under power.
Early March 2022, Service Centre: powered strut replaced, now with o-ring (photo was requested earlier). Did not fully resolve the boot opening.
Late March 2022, Ranger: powered strut replaced again, alignment tweaked, very slight touching identified on right and resolved (see photo, sorry wrong part in focus). Appears to have resolved the boot opening.
Planned April 2022, Ranger: Paint touch up.
Well, the second replacement strut didn't fix it. Perhaps that software update is playing a role as as been speculated above? I need to log this with Tesla again...

Ranger came today after I reported the "double beep" last week. He opened the boot, said it was too slow, then grabbed the open strut and demonstrated lateral free play. He said it was scrap....
Fitted a new strut, and pointed out that the top rubber seal was of a new design. The job was done in 15 mins, including a wheel tread check.

An excellent technician, ex JLR and quite chatty, he observed that Tesla's were rather more reliable than JLR cars and that the Jaguar iPace electronics were far more complex than a Tesla, which may be why the Teslas don't go wrong as often as JLR cars.
I have Lateral free play in mine also, which I mentioned to the ranger when he visited, but he just put the o- ring on and said the free play was normal and didn't change the strut.

They fitted a boot strut O ring last year.
The key diagnostic test is that the boot stopes opening part way open, with a double beep, and makes a "graunching" noise when the button is pressed again to complete the opening process.
The Ranger told me that he has been fitting 2 or 3 a day, of late. There were 2 old ones in his boot, mine made 3 and this was just after lunch....!

The boot now opens silently, all the way, in a single movement.

Reactions: Durzel
They fitted a boot strut O ring last year.
The key diagnostic test is that the boot stopes opening part way open, with a double beep, and makes a "graunching" noise when the button is pressed again to complete the opening process.
The Ranger told me that he has been fitting 2 or 3 a day, of late. There were 2 old ones in his boot, mine made 3 and this was just after lunch....!

The boot now opens silently, all the way, in a single movement.
...for now.

I'm not convinced one powered strut is up to the job. But I guess so long as cars are in warranty it doesn't matter.

I think the Model Y has two powered struts, although I suppose with the glass its heavier.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I believe that the power strut is of marginal power and not well engineered. IF any water at all gets past the upper seal the mechanical parts in side quickly gum up and that is it.
It will be interesting if this new one lasts any longer than the 12 months the first one lasted. It may be that the new versions have been fully re engineered, but I'm not holding my breath.

My replacement power strut, fitted in January, lasted less than 2 months before exhibiting the same issues. The Tesla tech told me directly that they're viewing it as a software / sensor / data interpretation issue that will be addressed in a "future firmware update". He didn't know if that was imminent, medium term or not in the plan at all yet. So that's nice. I'll just keep banging my head on the halfway opened boot aperture until sense is knocked into me.

I interpret the "it's a software issue" as, "Tesla are working on another hack in software to workaround the hardware issue".

Maybe the software will keep telling the strut to open instead of double beeping, but they don't want to create a safety issue when it should stop because of a real obstruction.

To blame software for a really simple bit of engineering, which everyone else can get right, is just ridiculous.

The last strut was fitted a few weeks ago and the boot has slowly gotten worse as it's now not weather dependant if it opens fully or not. The new strut also has a lot of side to side movement and seems like it's going to fall in half before long. My app won't let me book a mobile service visit and the next available date to sit in a Tesla service centre and be messed about is mid May. I really can't wait to hand this poor excuse for a premium car back at the end of the lease.

Log it as a service call, the date doesn't matter because they'll contact you directly to discuss it. My experience was they asked me to give them an exact time and date of an occurrence - didn't take long for that to happen. They'll check the car logs remotely and confirm whether it's firmware or otherwise. If they detect that it's down to what they seem convinced is a firmware issue, they'll cancel the service appointment on your behalf, and the wait for an update begins. If it's something else they'll schedule a ranger visit on your behalf.

That way, you've recorded the issue.

I'm not happy about this either. Should've been addreessed when the problem started happening in bulk around the start of winter.

The last strut was fitted a few weeks ago and the boot has slowly gotten worse as it's now not weather dependant if it opens fully or not. The new strut also has a lot of side to side movement and seems like it's going to fall in half before long. My app won't let me book a mobile service visit and the next available date to sit in a Tesla service centre and be messed about is mid May. I really can't wait to hand this poor excuse for a premium car back at the end of the lease.
You could try logging it as “Other” and see if it lets you pick a mobile service appointment instead. Then, just put the description of the problem in the notes.

There are some categories of faults that I think automatically restrict the appointment to SC only.

It is pretty shambolic, though. As said above I’ve heard Tesla talking about it being fixed in 2022.16 software, which is probably some time in May at the earliest.

But it does beg the question what “it” is that they’re saying is going to be fixed. I’m also suspicious that they’re trying to mask a hardware deficiency.

........But it does beg the question what “it” is that they’re saying is going to be fixed. I’m also suspicious that they’re trying to mask a hardware deficiency.
I'm convinced it is so. The technician said that the motor drove a "snail cam" (whatever that is) and that in turn pushed up the strut. I don't know where the position sensor is, but I suspect it is also in the strut.
So bottom line: the boot strut isn't fit for purpose.
It will be interesting to see how Tesla resolves this. Probably by removing the powered strut and reverting to manual opening!

To add to the confusion, my car was booked for a ranger visit in a couple of weeks time. Today, Tesla called to say it is a known issue and a bulletin has been issued to service centres advising the issue will be fixed within the next 2 - 3 updates (he could not be more specific). My ranger visit was cancelled.

• Informative
Reactions: DigbyChicken
My boot strut was replaced by a ranger yesterday. He advised the cause of the failure to be what has been listed here - water ingress. Good service and he topped up my windscreen wiper fluid and checked tyre pressures. A bit disappointed that the boot still shuts with a single slam, rather than the soft close I remember when new (last November).