Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boot strut recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've already been around that loop a long time ago and had the strut changed.

Unfortunately even when Tesla do swap the strut out for a new one, it doesn't last long before the issue returns.

It's probably worth seeing if the software update does help, because even if they do change the strut it's unfortunately not a permanent fix.

I'm hoping they will eventually change the strut design and that'll be the time to get it replaced.

I have sadly accepted it is all part of the Tesla ownership experience.
Thanks for the feedback I’m on 2022.12.3.6 will wait for the update but not hold my breath!

Just went to update an open ticket and saw this:
8FEC5389-FB7E-4FC6-8495-20E8B5D8A723.jpeg

I didn’t add this so looks like a proactive fix. I have an aftermarket power tailgate so I’ll have to remove some stuff…

Will be interested to hear hope you get on. My local SC keep telling me they don’t have the parts to do it, but eventually they will. I would want to restore my powered boot but reinstalling it is beyond my skills technically :(

Just had the electric boot strut replaced by mobile service which was nice. The original strut did not have the o-ring installed. The boot was not working over the weekend. I suspect the wet and very cold December had something to do with water ingress + freezing water causing damage.

Will see how this new strut holds up.

I'm on my third powered strut, the second did have the o-ring but didn't stop the issue at all. Obviously the third strut also had a new o-ring added.

But the design of the boot means the strut is exposed to the weather, there is no seal around the outside of the boot lid. An o-ring helps, but it isn't watertight.

It's a bad design, I expect if we do see another refreshed M3 that'll be changed. It always was an afterthought on the original design.

Reactions: Durzel
Yeah, the seal that goes around the windscreen is a mess really. Just chopped to accommodate the larger strut, and the seal was an afterthought after it was discovered that water would just pour straight into the boot when you lift it without it.

Found this thread after doing a Google search after seeing “install o ring and power trunk strut” on the estimate list for my upcoming, unrelated mobile service visit.

So I guess if I had never requested [any] service, this “fix” would have never been installed?

Found this thread after doing a Google search after seeing “install o ring and power trunk strut” on the estimate list for my upcoming, unrelated mobile service visit.

So I guess if I had never requested [any] service, this “fix” would have never been installed?
I guess they do it to hopefully save a future service visit because of the strut failing. If they have to make a special visit just to install the o-ring then they are no better off so they don’t bother and will take their chances. Seems keeping the customer happy by not having a boot failure doesn’t factor into it - all about Tesla’s bottom line.

** BEWARE**
I had my powered strut replaced last week.
When it first failed, I let the boot lid down gently to avoid it slamming by holding on to the edge of the boot. However, when the locking mechanism "clicked in" it nearly crushed my fingers as the boot closed the last centimetre under locking power!
Just let the boot drop from a height of around 10 cm to avoid this hazard...

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel