Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bosal Hitch Adapter Loosening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, after reading through all this and discovering the trailer we want has a loaded weight that will likely exceed(or get uncomfortably close) to the 500lb tongue/hitch weight rating of the Bosal, we've ordered the Draw-tite as then we have a 750lb tongue weight rating which gives us the breathing room we need. Feels wrong to swap this out on a 1 year old car, but we didn't feel like rolling the dice.

Edit: We also plan to use a weight distributing hitch since the worries about the Bosal hitch being damaged have ceased, and although nobody seems to have a proper answer, when we are setting it up we will set to standard, then engage jack mode to ensure we aren't fighting the air suspension.

Based on what I've read this seems to be the best scenario. Our trailer is only 4,500lbs fully loaded, but with the tongue weight and the trailer place really wanting us to use a WD hitch I think this is the best solution. That or order a Cybertruck. :)

Good call. Went through that exact same thought process last year. Before buying, we rented an Airstream Sport and towed it with the Bosal receiver. Worked fine but when we decided to buy an Airstream Bambi with a tongue weight closer to the X’s limit, we ditched the Bosal and had a DrawTite installed. Towed on the ball until the season ended. Went fine but want more safety. So we just purchased a WeighSafe True Tow WD hitch. Should get and install it in the coming week.

Hi there, this has been a very informative thread. We are in the process of purchasing a used 2020 X. Does anyone know if the issues originally reported on the 2017 models were remediated by 2020 by the Bosa hitch (or whatever hitch Tesla is using now)?

We tow (currently with our model Y) an 18’ Palomino Solaire 147X camper, which weighs in at 3400 pounds lightly loaded with our usual gear. Toungue weight ~300 pounds. Once we get our 2020 X we’ll switch to towing with it as it gives us much more breathing room. We use a sway bar, but not a WD system.

Hi there, this has been a very informative thread. We are in the process of purchasing a used 2020 X. Does anyone know if the issues originally reported on the 2017 models were remediated by 2020 by the Bosa hitch (or whatever hitch Tesla is using now)?

We tow (currently with our model Y) an 18’ Palomino Solaire 147X camper, which weighs in at 3400 pounds lightly loaded with our usual gear. Toungue weight ~300 pounds. Once we get our 2020 X we’ll switch to towing with it as it gives us much more breathing room. We use a sway bar, but not a WD system.
I do not believe Tesla changed the Bosal hitch receiver in these model years. Theoretically, it should be fine with your tongue weight and no weight distribution. That said, I put in a DrawTite hitch receiver when I towed with the Model X. Now I was much closer to the tongue weight limit than you are and I used weight distribution.

Reactions: ohmman and Araman0