Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bottom dropping out of used market?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The LR vs Performance availability difference could be due to any number of things, from Tesla just pushing everyone towards the Performance upgrade or my speculation that rental companies like Hertz etc are putting in orders for big numbers of only the LR variants — I can’t find any companies offering a Model Y Performance for rent.

But the vehicles are almost identical in the ways that would add any complexity to the manufacturing, Tesla could just decide to produce more Ps and less LRs because the profit margins are more favourable.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
Upgrading my wife's 2020 MY LR to a new MYP this weekend. Yes, offers have come down. 29k miles on our MY LR. Carmax was 53k, Driveway 54k, Shift 56k. Shift is coming out on Friday to look in person and hopefully the offer will stand. Nothing wrong with the car. And before anyone asks, I refuse to do private party sales anymore. Fraud, idiots, flakes, etc.

the first thing I would do is pull the 21" Ultraturbines off and replace them with lighter wheels and cheaper tires.
The 18s I bought from TSportLine get installed next week. The great thing about this change is I create a better performing street car for Daily Drivers. I will have a STEALTH PMY. Am undecided what I will do with the heavy 21s. There is no market for them. Too many downsides to be of any value to everyday drivers.

Here in Illinois our potholes have zip codes. Just returned from a 2K road trip following the exact same route as we drove in our 2020 LR AWD 4 times and found the PMY was about 15% LESS EFFICIENT than our old 2020 LR AWD with aero caps. Am guessing most of that was caused by the tire/wheels. I will no longer live in fear of potholes or curbs.

I will do some BEFORE/AFTER testing with my DRAGY too.

Data point… there are 6-10 used Model Ys at a local dealer with 50-1500 miles (varies) priced around $65K and they aren’t even selling. Each has sat on the lot for 3-5 months.

CarGurus shows the price history.

C7D9F9CC-DBD0-4C6B-AC3A-C2D4E64AB6AF.png