Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a model Y that I thought had clean title and found out it was salvage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for advices. Sadly, but wait for DMV is a not short story, because they need to do some paperwork when they get documents from dealer.

And i attach a dealer website screenshot with car information. just fyi.

Now i'm waiting for response from Tesla and for a meet up with a dealer to discuss any way of resolution.
So, what does the dealer tell you when you call and point out their web listing says the title is clean?

yes, at least temporarily. But a judge is not going to buy that definition of the word. I’d want to know what the dealer says THEIR definition is and if they’ll take the thing back rather than face a lawsuit.

The issue here is, the dealer this OP bought the car from does not have to be the one who washed the title, if in fact that happened. If they purchased the car used (they = the dealer) and they did not buy it from the original purchaser of the vehicle (which is likely) I doubt any legal method is going to hold them liable unless they have a history of multiples of these complaints.

The dealer could just as easily be a victim here as well (or not) but proving "not" would be pretty difficult. I am not a lawyer though.

If I was the OP I would start with trying to get tesla to send me (the vehicle owner) the information that is causing them to blacklist the car, and then trying to get the dealer to unwind the deal especially if the carfax shows multiple registrations in a short time in different states.

What I know now - car was always in CA. Car was owned by Tesla Lease Trust LSR.
And lienholder was TLT Leasing Corp.
I found few documents (registration stickers) from 2022 with this information.

Carfax too show me same information - car was always in LA and was sold in LA.

Here is report. Of course, i want to get information from Tesla about blacklist source. They can do this by phone, i'm waiting for responst on my "ticket".

Attachments

• cf1.png
    cf1.png
    651.7 KB · Views: 501
  • cf2.png
    cf2.png
    382.7 KB · Views: 162
I'd forward that along with a copy of the actual title to Tesla, in hopes that they either remove the blacklist, or provide documentation supporting their position. Also, did the used car dealer make any claim about the existing warranty, either the bumper to bumper one or the battery/drivetrain one? That might be another way to put liability on them if this goes south.

So, i found a few more sources from NMVTIS database.
And all sources say - IAAI reported on the end of April (auction day) to NMVTIS some salvage/junk information. Just information about car was SOLD.
I'm just might think IAAI do this every time when they sold any car.

Looks like Tesla uses that source to acquire information about salvage cars, and they don't care about real situation.
What that mean now? If NMVTIS has that information - next title was salvaged? Is it not revertible?
Or Tesla can look into this and check real car state?..

I am very sad.
When I bought car, dealer give me CLEAN NMVTIS report without that information.

UPD: Vehicle reports says only one record in "Junk & Salvage" information: "Record Type: Junk and Salvage, Disposition: SOLD, Intended for Export: No".
IAAI rules says:
16. NMVTIS REPORTING: VEHICLES LISTED FOR SALE AND SOLD AT IAA MAY HAVE BEEN REPORTED TO THE NATIONAL MOTOR VEHICLE TITLE INFORMATION SYSTEM (NMVTIS) AS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW. BUYER ACCEPTS ALL RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH PURCHASING VEHICLES AT IAA ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO ANY NMVTIS REPORTING BY IAA OR IAA’S VEHICLE PROVIDERS, INCLUDING THAT VEHICLES SOLD WITH A CLEAR TITLE MAY APPEAR AS “JUNK/SALVAGE” IN SUBSEQUENT REPORTS DUE TO NMVTIS REPORTING. BUYERS MAY BE SUBJECT TO NMVTIS REPORTING REQUIREMENTS WHEN PURCHASING CERTAIN VEHICLES. FOR MORE INFORMATION ON REPORTING REQUIREMENTS, EXEMPTIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN A NMVTIS REPORTING ID VISIT
If I (And I think Tesla too) have this information - photos from auction, that information about report to NMVTIS - is it possible to bring Tesla attention to this situation?.. Or just start unwinding the deal?

Looking at how the support service works in Tesla, I have little faith that they even want to figure it out a little.

Last edited:
And all sources say - IAAI reported on the end of April (auction day) to NMVTIS some salvage/junk information.

So, now you know you need to find out why IAAI reported the vehicle as salvage / junk. Perhaps they have pictures of the vehicle you can get from them as to the state of the vehicle?

In any case, I would be trying like hell to unwind the deal with the dealer. They likely wont want to. If you that cant be done, you could pursue going down the road of getting the car re certified by tesla so they re enable charging on it, but they are not going to do that free.

Most Americans probably (or should know) DO NOT buy a used car from a used car dealer. They are low on the list of dirtbags

Sigh... Such stupid advice.

Alright OP. If a dealer sells you a branded title vehicle it needs to be disclosed. Go through your paperwork. Contact your DMV or secretary of state and talk to them about the title status. If its salvaged or rebuilt take it back to the dealer and get your money back. As someone mentioned the photo you included is from an auction like IAAI or Copart which is typically accident vehicles. Many of which have a branded title.

Current update - still no any reply from Tesla.
Looks like they read all my emails and remove my supercharger access and deleted all warranty from application for now (it's been expired before - now it's like they never existed).

I have always loved Tesla and have been riding my Model 3 for two years.

But their actions - I was just shocked.
Once I received a response with "decline to response" a couple of hours after my message - my mistake, I sent it from an email that is not tied to an account.
I immediately corrected the error, but for a week there have been no messages, only new bans.

wtf...

I sent them all possible reports, title, photos, new full coverage insurance (on clean title car), bank documents.
Looks like they "told" me to go fck myself.

Current update - still no any reply from Tesla.
Looks like they read all my emails and remove my supercharger access and deleted all warranty from application for now (it's been expired before - now it's like they never existed).

I have always loved Tesla and have been riding my Model 3 for two years.

But their actions - I was just shocked.
Once I received a response with "decline to response" a couple of hours after my message - my mistake, I sent it from an email that is not tied to an account.
I immediately corrected the error, but for a week there have been no messages, only new bans.

wtf...
You need to unwind this deal as fast as you can. Even if you can get Tesla to change it's mind, something I rather doubt, it will take a while, and this record will still hang over the car like a dark cloud.

You need to unwind this deal as fast as you can. Even if you can get Tesla to change it's mind, something I rather doubt, it will take a while, and this record will still hang over the car like a dark cloud.
I have only been living in the USA for 1 month... I have no idea how to do it yet :-(
The dealer wants to resolve the situation directly with Tesla and does not respond to my requests to resolve it in other ways.

Maybe someone can advise lawyers or companies that help with this, I know absolutely nothing about how it works here (California). Unfortunately..

Sigh... Such stupid advice.

Alright OP. If a dealer sells you a branded title vehicle it needs to be disclosed. Go through your paperwork. Contact your DMV or secretary of state and talk to them about the title status. If its salvaged or rebuilt take it back to the dealer and get your money back. As someone mentioned the photo you included is from an auction like IAAI or Copart which is typically accident vehicles. Many of which have a branded title.
Stupid advice Look t all the crap this guy is going though because he bought from used car dealer. You can't even trust new car dealers sometimes

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H