Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a P3D- for many reasons - environmental consideration wasn't one of them

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This^^^^^^^^

Do you guys get it? Is having a winsome attitude in your future? We should all be on the same team here pulling in the same direction.
The reason that golfcart has people in his life walking on eggshells until they get to know him is because of the condescending, smug attitudes that we see in this thread. The condescension is so, so common. I'm known as a right-wing nut who supports Medicare for all and drives a Tesla. People don't know what to do with me lol, but I can tell you there are many people who give me an attitude because "people like you" shouldn't drive a Tesla.

You really don't get it man. It's actually quite sad. Now I got to the point where I hate Tesla owners like you because you're hurting my cause of getting as many people into them as possible. You harm your own movement. How about selling your Tesla and truly going green by not owning a car? That would help your saving the world mentality, and it would help us sell this car. You're in the way.

Toolman,

I am so sorry that exposing your ignorance on the most important issue facing like on our planet hurts your feelings.

Rather than lash out at the messenger, perhaps you might just address the root cause of the problem? Reading the newspaper is likely a great place to begin, followed by paying attention to the science by signing up to email newsletters from the nyt.com and other sources.

Toolman,

I am so sorry that exposing your ignorance on the most important issue facing like on our planet hurts your feelings.

Rather than lash out at the messenger, perhaps you might just address the root cause of the problem? Reading the newspaper is likely a great place to begin, followed by paying attention to the science by signing up to email newsletters from the nyt.com and other sources.

What's sad man is that you're too worked up and angry in life to realize that YOU are a huge part of the problem. You can't see that you are significantly harming your own environmental cause. Until you can see the impact you have on others, you're only going to continue to grow with rage when people don't come around to your way of thinking. One could easily make the case that your attitude has harmed your carbon footprint by significantly failing to get people to go green. Some crazies would go out and buy a gas guzzler just to spite you lol. You could be going backwards with your gospel.
The angry man saying follow Jesus or go to hell was the perfect analogy. How many souls does that guy get to heaven? I bet many would consider going to church if it wasn't for that guy.

Toolman wrote:

" . . . when people don't come around to your way of thinking."

So, yes, Toolman is correct. It is best to let people wallow in ignorance while our planet burns--let us not hurt their feelings and CERTAINLY not suggest they make choices that will leave us a usable planet.

Good job Toolman--I will change my ways so that you can feel better about yourself too. That's what matters most, above all else: everyone's feelings. Science should be damned (and banned) for ever presenting uncomfortable facts about the status quo.

Wow the vitriol! Maybe we could lighten up a bit with the criticism of those who don't think the same way we do?

I've already posted on this thread with a version of what will follow but after reading the more recent comments I feel compelled to repost. Please forgive me if you've read the earlier version.

Everyone reading this knows there is controversy associated with any discussion of climate change, especially the reasons for it, if anything can be done to reverse it, and if so at what cost. While each of us is entitled to our own opinion on this subject I am convinced that no one is likely to change the mind of another simply by preaching their gospel or by beating that person over the head with their opinion. So below is where I stand on all this.

A few years ago I decided to buy an electric vehicle (EV - in my case a Tesla) for the greater performance, reliability, lower long term operating costs, home fueling convenience (aided by my solar panels) and yes, for the potential of a smaller environmental impact. Maybe my little part to impact things less?

Of course as many have pointed out if I truly was committed to an even lower environmental impact I could walk, bike, or take public transportation more often than I do. I bought the car however because it is a great vehicle, extremely fun to drive, and over it's life time hopefully it might have a lower carbon footprint.

Now with a plethora of EV's being available for sale over the next couple of years I am convinced that more internal combustion engine (ICE ) owners will, like me, buy these EV's for many of the same reasons that I bought mine. If along the way it turns out that EV owners end up having less negative net impact on the environment, so be it.

So this brings us to where you might stand on this subject. IMHO I think that regardless of one's position on the climate controversy it is worthwhile for everyone to examine how climate change (no matter what the cause, manmade or otherwise) is and will be impacting our lives. These changes include the effects ice melting at the poles and how that is changing sea levels, shifts in coastal landscape, more frequent and violent storms due to warming of the oceans, extended periods of drought and extensive flooding, among many other impacts.

As others have said, education is the key to understanding all this and any reading on the subject, even fiction (some would claim climate change is fiction), can lower the temperature and make for easier discussion of what is factual and what is just conjecture. Of course there are many articles and books on the environmental impact of climate change, both science and science fiction based, so we should all read. If reading fiction is your escape then may I suggest "Seeds of Our Future" on Amazon and other books like it.

Hopefully through education and meaningful discussion we can all at least address the effects of climate change if not agree on the causes or solutions to stem or reverse it.

Happy motoring - electric motoring that is!

Reactions: toolman335
Man am I glad I made this thread... I was totally bracing to get crucified. Thanks to everyone chiming in! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who believes it's first & foremost a properly good car.

This is one of the things that I've loved about Tesla (and EV's more generally) for years.

Whether you're in it for the green / climate contribution, the performance, the in-sourcing of the energy consumed - there's something here for everybody.

Well - except for the cost side, unless you're a high mileage driver with the newer cars. When I got started, and still mostly the case (certainly the case for me personally), the high cost of a Roadster / X / S and the low miles we drive in my family guarantees that we won't be able to make a cost justification.

But there are people driving enough miles for whatever reason, that a 3 / Y / CT will pay for any cost delta with alternatives in the fuel and maintenance savings (offset by the tires being eaten like candy :D).

The really cool thing is that whatever brings you here, you can be excited about how many others think like you do. Amazing how many performance car drivers out there, eh? :)

Wow the vitriol! Maybe we could lighten up a bit with the criticism of those who don't think the same way we do?

I've already posted on this thread with a version of what will follow but after reading the more recent comments I feel compelled to repost. Please forgive me if you've read the earlier version.

Everyone reading this knows there is controversy associated with any discussion of climate change, especially the reasons for it, if anything can be done to reverse it, and if so at what cost. While each of us is entitled to our own opinion on this subject I am convinced that no one is likely to change the mind of another simply by preaching their gospel or by beating that person over the head with their opinion. So below is where I stand on all this.

A few years ago I decided to buy an electric vehicle (EV - in my case a Tesla) for the greater performance, reliability, lower long term operating costs, home fueling convenience (aided by my solar panels) and yes, for the potential of a smaller environmental impact. Maybe my little part to impact things less?

Of course as many have pointed out if I truly was committed to an even lower environmental impact I could walk, bike, or take public transportation more often than I do. I bought the car however because it is a great vehicle, extremely fun to drive, and over it's life time hopefully it might have a lower carbon footprint.

Now with a plethora of EV's being available for sale over the next couple of years I am convinced that more internal combustion engine (ICE ) owners will, like me, buy these EV's for many of the same reasons that I bought mine. If along the way it turns out that EV owners end up having less negative net impact on the environment, so be it.

So this brings us to where you might stand on this subject. IMHO I think that regardless of one's position on the climate controversy it is worthwhile for everyone to examine how climate change (no matter what the cause, manmade or otherwise) is and will be impacting our lives. These changes include the effects ice melting at the poles and how that is changing sea levels, shifts in coastal landscape, more frequent and violent storms due to warming of the oceans, extended periods of drought and extensive flooding, among many other impacts.

As others have said, education is the key to understanding all this and any reading on the subject, even fiction (some would claim climate change is fiction), can lower the temperature and make for easier discussion of what is factual and what is just conjecture. Of course there are many articles and books on the environmental impact of climate change, both science and science fiction based, so we should all read. If reading fiction is your escape then may I suggest "Seeds of Our Future" on Amazon and other books like it.

Hopefully through education and meaningful discussion we can all at least address the effects of climate change if not agree on the causes or solutions to stem or reverse it.

Happy motoring - electric motoring that is!

Can we PLEASE get off of this BS?

You wrote:

While each of us is entitled to our own opinion on this subject I am convinced that no one is likely to change the mind of another simply by preaching their gospel or by beating that person over the head with their opinion.

Here's a clue: we don't get to have "our own opinion" on gravity, chemistry, or physics.

So stop coddling those that think they do.

What they really need is a big, long 2x4 smack between the eyes, to be shamed, in public, for being such ignorant morons.

Geesh.

So much idiocy, so little time . . . .

p.s. There's no "gospel" here either. That's all about centuries old stories, make-believe to make ignorants think there's a special being looking after them. (Of course he/she is.) Please, take that BS somewhere else too--we're trying to stay in the land of science and facts. Thx.

Coddling???? LMAO again man, how is your strategy working out for you? It's pathetic.
Trust me, you haven't hurt my feelings. It's comical how bad you are at promoting action for climate change. You won't win a single person over to your way of thinking. In turn YOU are harming the environment. Why not write like the others did above? Those guys win friends and influence people to the issue of climate change.

If no one listens to you, where will it get you? Your carbon footprint is bad man. If you could quantify how many people you have annoyed you wouldn't want to know how many tons of CO2 that are up in the air thanks to you.

Reactions: destructure00
Yes, indeed.

He reads the paper, is up on the climate news, and appears to be knowledgeable and concerned about a massive, planetary-scale threat to our only planet.

What a friggin' loon!

Sorry....I already called you a boomer about this, so I decided to circle back and address something that stuck out to me.

You've been on your soapbox in this thread, admonishing those of us who don't drop to our knees and see our own sinful ways. But you read the paper......that medium that requires 1,000,000's of acres of deforestation every year. That's either deliciously ironic, or willfully ignorant.

Can we PLEASE get off of this BS?

You wrote:

While each of us is entitled to our own opinion on this subject I am convinced that no one is likely to change the mind of another simply by preaching their gospel or by beating that person over the head with their opinion.

Here's a clue: we don't get to have "our own opinion" on gravity, chemistry, or physics.

So stop coddling those that think they do.

What they really need is a big, long 2x4 smack between the eyes, to be shamed, in public, for being such ignorant morons.

Geesh.

So much idiocy, so little time . . . .

p.s. There's no "gospel" here either. That's all about centuries old stories, make-believe to make ignorants think there's a special being looking after them. (Of course he/she is.) Please, take that BS somewhere else too--we're trying to stay in the land of science and facts. Thx.

This thread is great. I like a good ole public shaming as much as the next guy.. in fact, some could say we are witnessing one here on this very thread..

If I may, I think you are confusing the art (and science, to a degree) of exercising effective communication and motivational skills with "coddling." They're very different things. Understanding how to communicate effectively is a valuable social skill and a key attribute of any half-decent leader. Infer from that what you may.

His carbon footprint is growing by the hour!!!!! What a polluting sinner!

Has anyone else noticed the dearth of any adult rebuttals from the too-many mental midgets populating this thread?

Instead, the norm is pointing out any other issue, regardless of how tangential or irrelevant.

Not sure what it is about our U.S. educational system, but there are an awful lot of supposed "adults" walking around that have all somehow missed a visit to the "Clue Issue" Room. Their gullibility makes a box of rocks look intelligent. It's why we're in such a massive state of willful ignorance re: climate change risks, at least in much of the U.S.

Ignorants, idiots, and morons are prime customers for "make-believe" physics and chemistry, especially when the profits of the largest companies on the planet are at risk. Sadly, this puts our one and only planet's future in great peril. For the OP and his groupies: please feel free to hang out with the idiots and morons--you'll fit right in. You're obviously in great company when you post a thread with a title that includes, " . . . environmental consideration wasn't one of them."

Our species needs, and deserves, a citizenry with minds wide awake and a basic understanding of how the world works.
--Carl Sagan

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
--Carl Sagan

p.s. If you want to see just how much of a fool the OP and his ilk are, please watch the trailer for Merchants of Doubt. One of the paid professional liars for the fossil fuel industry is highlighted. He laughs a lot--and he's laughing at the OP because he makes makes the job so incredibly easy:

Sony Pictures Classics presents 'Merchants of Doubt'

And:

Climate of Doubt

• Disagree
Reactions: ModelNforNerd
Has anyone else noticed the dearth of any adult rebuttals from the too-many mental midgets populating this thread?

Instead, the norm is pointing out any other issue, regardless of how tangential or irrelevant.

Not sure what it is about our U.S. educational system, but there are an awful lot of supposed "adults" walking around that have all somehow missed a visit to the "Clue Issue" Room. Their gullibility makes a box of rocks look intelligent. It's why we're in such a massive state of willful ignorance re: climate change risks, at least in much of the U.S.

Ignorants, idiots, and morons are prime customers for "make-believe" physics and chemistry, especially when the profits of the largest companies on the planet are at risk. Sadly, this puts our one and only planet's future in great peril. For the OP and his groupies: please feel free to hang out with the idiots and morons--you'll fit right in. You're obviously in great company when you post a thread with a title that includes, " . . . environmental consideration wasn't one of them."

Our species needs, and deserves, a citizenry with minds wide awake and a basic understanding of how the world works.
--Carl Sagan

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
--Carl Sagan

p.s. If you want to see just how much of a fool the OP and his ilk are, please watch the trailer for Merchants of Doubt. One of the paid professional liars for the fossil fuel industry is highlighted. He laughs a lot--and he's laughing at the OP because he makes makes the job so incredibly easy:

Sony Pictures Classics presents 'Merchants of Doubt'

And:

Climate of Doubt

If find it amusing that you seem 100% certain about the science of catastrophic global warming even though recent climate models have been laughably wrong and most govt. scientists, NASA, the CIA etc. were convinced of global cooling - not warming - less than 50 years ago. Climate science is an enormously complicated subject that is not that well understood. So what makes you the expert here? What is your science backgound and what are your climate science credentials?

You must be fun at parties. Can I book you for my upcoming kid's party?

Oh we will be grilling burgers and hotdogs tho, that won't offend you right?

^^^^Fantastic. What a complete laughingstock. He's in his own Tesla owners forum flying solo. He's accomplishing what I would think is the impossible task of a fellow Tesla owner isolating himself from the others.
Asking if he's a Vegan is a good question. Where do you stand on the meat issue? Yeah or nay? What about eating a Big Mac in the Tesla? Is that an extra level of being frowned upon?
Now he's quoting Carl Sagan! You can't make this up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.