Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought CPO Model S yesterday and now Tesla says they made a mistake and will not honor the Price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have already partnered with some auction house reading elsewhere. Jan 5, taking my daughter back to college two loaded car carriers all Tesla AP-1 MX-M3 cars headed North I assume to northern location to be auctioned off. The Tesla lots down here are bulging with cars they cannot sell.

There are only so many they can sell online, sight-unseen. To sell outside the Tesla enthusiast crowd, they need retail space and that's probably a headache they don't want at this point. That may change someday, after all there's supposed to be good money in used vehicle sales.

They just posted 42 M3 with steep discounts on Friday. (30% or more) All 42 cars sold in minutes. I got M3 LR AWD with upgraded Rims for 32600. Today...4 days later I get a call that they will sell it for 40900.
Took them 4 days to realize that 42 cars were mispriced. And I just sold my car this morning, which doesn't make for an ideal situation

Mistakes happen. Most companies policy is that those mistakes need to be corrected. A misposting of a price does not obligate the company to honor that price if it was done in error. They, however, are not allowed to intentally post a low price to draw people in, then switch to a market price as a sales gimmick.

Reactions: bhzmark and DCEV
Mistakes happen. Most companies policy is that those mistakes need to be corrected. A misposting of a price does not obligate the company to honor that price if it was done in error. They, however, are not allowed to intentally post a low price to draw people in, then switch to a market price as a sales gimmick.
I agree with you. The part that bothers me is that it took them 4 days to notify me. I wouldn't have sold my car if they had notified me in a timely manner

Agreed. However, are they liable for damages caused by their mistakes? In this case, @TBot101 sold his car. Is Tesla on the hook to cover any costs to replace that sold car with an equivalent car at the price @TBot101 incurred? If someone orders a car and pays the deposit, then comes back saying "I made a mistake", Tesla keeps the $2,500. Shouldn't it work the other way around too? It's not like they listed them for $1, where you could argue it was a clear mistake - with Tesla price adjustment history, $32K instead of $40K is not unheard of.

If someone orders a car and pays the deposit, then comes back saying "I made a mistake", Tesla keeps the $2,500. Shouldn't it work the other way around too? It's not like they listed them for $1, where you could argue it was a clear mistake - with Tesla price adjustment history, $32K instead of $40K is not unheard of.

Not so:
Deposit is refundable until you take delivery https://www.tesla.com/order/download-order-agreement?redirect=no&country=US&model_code=m3
Until your Vehicle is delivered to you, you may cancel your order at any time, in which case you will receive a full refund of your Order Payment.
And with the 7 day return policy, it is refundable after delivery also...
No 7 day return on used vehicles.

Also, we do not know the other cars were purchased, only that they were delisted. Removing the incorrectly priced cars would be a normal action to take on a bulk pricing error.

corrected per @TBot101

Last edited:
Not so:
Deposit is refundable until you take delivery https://www.tesla.com/order/download-order-agreement?redirect=no&country=US&model_code=m3

Also, we do not know the other cars were purchased, only that they were delisted. Removing the incorrectly priced cars would be a normal action to take on a bulk pricing error.

These rules don't apply to used CPO cars. They are only for new vehicles

Not so:

Sales Advisor said that 42 cars were purchased with the incorrect price and they didn't realize the mistake until Monday

• Informative
Reactions: mongo