Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought used car with AP 1.0 computer but Can't Upgrade/Add-Auto-Pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a used 2015 Model S with the AP 1.0 computer and I don't think it has the software but when I go to Software Upgrades, it says that I have all the upgrades and nothing is available. Shouldn't it tell me the cost of adding the Auto-Pilot software?

Same thing when I go and try to upgrade in the car too. Any idea what this means?

Attachments

• IMG_5079.PNG
    IMG_5079.PNG
    279.8 KB · Views: 784
To get AP1 functionality In 2015 you had to order the “Tech package with Autopilot” option when you bought a Model S. It wasn’t a software upgrade if I remember correctly.

GSP
It could be added before or after delivery but the price was different. Understanding Tesla's different Autopilot software packages

"Upgrade paths are available for all vehicles with any version of Autopilot Hardware. Tesla vehicles with Autopilot Hardware 1.0 but without Autopilot 1 software can still upgrade today, even though Autopilot 1 hasn’t been available new since 2016."

So it seems I should be able to go into my account and just "upgrade". Stranger still, my Tesla app doesn't have the vehicle/account specs option at the bottom right next where it says "Manage Drivers"... it's just blank.

Upvote 0
All AP1 cars had the hardware but the software piece was called "Autopilot with Convenience Features" so if your car has that, your good. Enhanced Autopilot on the AP2 cars is the closest in feature set of that in the previous version. Important note: your AP1 isn't capable of EAP or FSD.
Right... I believe it was renamed "Highway Autopilot". What I think is the situation - I don't have the software part and I can't seem to add the software part in my app or in the car. I called Electrified Garage and they said it might be some kind of error with how the car/account is set up. *Fingers crossed I actually have the software after all*

Upvote 0
Right... I believe it was renamed "Highway Autopilot". What I think is the situation - I don't have the software part and I can't seem to add the software part in my app or in the car. I called Electrified Garage and they said it might be some kind of error with how the car/account is set up. *Fingers crossed I actually have the software after all*
So you're sure that the car doesn't have this software feature enabled then? If so, are you sure that the car is assigned to you as the owner in your Tesla account?

Upvote 0
So you're sure that the car doesn't have this software feature enabled then? If so, are you sure that the car is assigned to you as the owner in your Tesla account?
Yes. We did the transfer of ownership through the Tesla App and the car shows up. I'm able to update it, open close/etc. When I go to Tesla.com, it shows me as the owner of the car. Like I said, I'm confused.

Upvote 0
Yes. We did the transfer of ownership through the Tesla App and the car shows up. I'm able to update it, open close/etc. When I go to Tesla.com, it shows me as the owner of the car. Like I said, I'm confused.
Oh, and I'm not at all sure it doesn't have the software. I'm thinking it doesn't but the previous owner was clueless about most everything. I AM very happy that the FUSC transferred as it should. I didn't have a credit card tied to my account and it allowed me to charge no problem on my way home.

Upvote 0
All AP1 vehicles have autopilot activated. What makes you think yours does not?

If it’s because you don’t see it in the software upgrades section of the phone app…that tells you nothing.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
Upvote 0

If it’s because you don’t see it in the software upgrades section of the phone app…that tells you nothing.
It's my understanding all new cars came with base autopilot after a certain year however in 2015, you were charged extra for the software (hardware is always there). $2500 before delivery or $3k after delivery. See this link: Understanding Tesla's different Autopilot software packages

I sure do hope you're right though!

Upvote 0

Because prior to the free Autopilot, it was not activated nor free until the fee is paid. Even the recent AP2.5 2020 M3SR that costs $35,000 did not have it activated until additional fee was paid.

The question now is if this OP wants to pay, would Tesla accept the payment and activate AP1.

Only service center can answer that.

Reactions: AustinP
Upvote 0
Non-Autopilot Tesla such as this car has dumb cruise only. No matter how many times you repeatedly turn it on, it doesn't become Adaptive Cruise.
Pulling the stalk forward twice is how you activate AP. I believe @SabrToothSqrl is asking the OP what happens when they do this to see if the car does indeed already have Autopilot enabled. OP never says if they've actually tried to use it.

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
Upvote 0
They stopped putting AP1 in cars long before they added the software upgrade page in the UI and the app.

My guess is there was no need or desire to even put any development work into adding it to the upgrade page at all, especially with the low number of AP1 cars in the world.

Best way is contact a service center and have them activate it.

Reactions: jgs, GSP and JimmyB
Upvote 0