Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BP Chargemaster = Daylight robbery.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Done some quick maths on this - ignoring the fact the first 3 months of Polar Plus membership is free. If you use more than 39.25 kWh a month, just over half a tank, then the membership is worth it - below this the cost is higher than non-members per kWh. Personally I think this isn't too bad for convenience and reliability if you're not at home to charge.

That's a useful comparison, thanks. My local Polar charger is subsidised by Northumberland council so offers free vend (or £1/charge can't remember without checking). I agree that those 150KW Rapids at 40p KWh aren't that bad if they're used as a splash-and-dash when youre away from home/your usual subscribed network.

• Informative
Reactions: Sirricardo
Wiltshire Council has provided some EV chargers using Polar. Electricity is free. Fortunately for me, I have one in the Park & Ride nearby and also at County Hall.

The county Hall chargers ensure I have a parking place, when attending meetings!
Worth the £7.85 monthly fee....just!

The model should be tap and go payment. Then move on to the charger talking to car and invoice my account without my intervention.
All chargers should be more expensive than charging at home. Say 15% premium for 22kW and 20% for 50kW and 30% for 100kW
the public charging network on the island of Ireland (both North(UK) and South (Ireland) is free at the moment. Although this is nice it is not sustainable.
In 5 years time I hope to see a bank of 7kW or 22kW charges in supermarket car parks. discounted electricity when you also tap your store loyalty card.

Reactions: cezdoc and Palros
...At least at Supercharger all cars can charge at pretty much the same rate, and with lots of stalls even if full (only happened to me once in 3 years) the turnover is every few minutes. And Tesla will limit charge to 80% if sites become very busy...
With #chargegate following hot on the heels of #battergate even Superchargers will be affected by slower charging cars.
My S70 is definitely charging slower now, but not the dramatic 50% slower some folk seem to be reporting. More like 5-10 minutes extra on a typical Supercharger hop (but I guess it would be worse if I was trying to "fill up" to 90%+). Ironic that this happened just after Tesla bumped up the peak charge rate for some models. That said it's not nearly as bad as an Outlander on a CHAdeMo I guess :rolleyes:

Has the 80% charge limit ever been applied in the UK? (or even the US?). Sure there's a default notification on the app during a Supercharger session when the SOC reaches 80%, but IIRC the only change was to reset the default charge limit to 80% - which could then be manually overridden anyway. And personally I've never seen that behaviour in my charge sessions.