Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Brandishing [burnishing]/My wheels are trashed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys I've been a long-time lurker on these forums but I've never actually created an account or posted. Thought id start by sharing something I recently learned through conversations with some other owners. I have had a tesla model 3 performance for about months now but I ALWAYS thought the brakes felt squishy and weak coming from a BMW m4 before. My friend also has an m3p and discussed it repeatedly and I was thinking the best thing to do would be to get new pads. My friend installed stainless steel brake lines as well as a brake brace and although they gave marginal improvements, we finally figured out the best method to get a better brake feel and bite. Brake brandishing...
There's a setting in the model 3 service mode that is for bedding brakes and I suggest that everyone get that done asap for a better brake feel. I got to the point of just living with the feeling as being normal but I always thought because our brakes are brembos, it should be better. In the service mode they will guide you with a step by step process of driving to 50 and stopping repeatedly until your brakes are good to go.
Ive actually lurked the forums for posts about this before but none of the posts ive seen SO FAR mention this so I just thought id share.

I’m not driving a P and don’t track so have been pretty happy with the brakes as stock but thanks for this info.

Main reason I’m replying is because I wondered where the rest of the story was. Thread title mentions your wheels were trashed. What’s that about?

I’m not driving a P and don’t track so have been pretty happy with the brakes as stock but thanks for this info.

Main reason I’m replying is because I wondered where the rest of the story was. Thread title mentions your wheels were trashed. What’s that about?

Im guessing its here in this OPs response to a for sale advertisement here for wheels:

I hit a huge pothole yesterday on 238 most likely my rims are bent. In desperate need of these wheels 😂. But I'm new here how can I pm you?

Although, I am with you in that I had some difficulty connecting the recommendation to burnish the brakes (which is a good one and exists on multiple different car forums), with the "wheels are trashed" part of the thread title till I looked just now.

I believe I last used my brakes maybe three weeks ago, when a stale yellow snuck up on me. Regen gets the job done!
3 weeks ago I was throwing my M3P around Buttonwillow, and marveling how the MPP Page mill upgrade plus street and track pads really did wonders for my brakes. I have the thicker front and rear rotors, plus Castrol SRF and SS brake lines and I was really impressed. Not one time did I experience brake fade, though the car was convinced I had thrashed them and was sending warnings.

No burnishing needed lol!

😂 you guys caught me i guess i didnt finish the story. Yeah im trying to buy this guys wheels but i cant even pm him until i get enough posts LOL i think he thinks im a scammer but im going to try my best to post more. LOL. But on a side note, the wheel and tire used market for our cars is kinda lacking compared to the f80forums. I guess not as many people looking to mod.

3 weeks ago I was throwing my M3P around Buttonwillow, and marveling how the MPP Page mill upgrade plus street and track pads really did wonders for my brakes. I have the thicker front and rear rotors, plus Castrol SRF and SS brake lines and I was really impressed. Not one time did I experience brake fade, though the car was convinced I had thrashed them and was sending warnings.

No burnishing needed lol!
when i still had the ///m i switched to some akebonos. Some hybrid ceramics that created less brake dust but still had great feel. They also didnt need brandishing, they already came pre-bedded. I feel you on the brake lines and brake fluid. That's what comes with the track package for the wheels I was trying to purchase. But tesla is offering some undisclosed brake compound that im not so sure about lol.
Are you tracking with 20's?

yeah i havent tracked this car either but for safety! I guess... LOL even if we bed the brakes 10 times we still would never have to need a brake pad change for possibly the life of the car cuz regen

when i still had the ///m i switched to some akebonos. Some hybrid ceramics that created less brake dust but still had great feel. They also didnt need brandishing, they already came pre-bedded. I feel you on the brake lines and brake fluid. That's what comes with the track package for the wheels I was trying to purchase. But tesla is offering some undisclosed brake compound that im not so sure about lol.
About brake pads that are sold as pre-bedded. Not sure how this is possible, as the bedding process is one that transfers a thin layer of brake material to the rotor.

I tried a couple of days with the stock 20s and the PS4. While it wasn't terrible, the PS4 doesn't like to be abused at the track, plus they are way too expensive for track tires IMO. I should have kept the pressures up too as the PS4 doesnt really like to go under 35 psi or so.

I bought some 18" rims and run 275/35-18 Federal RSR for the track. It is a bit of a small fitment though, and probably reduces my top-end speed. I plan on something a bit closer to stock rolling diameter next round.

Reactions: 510fred
About brake pads that are sold as pre-bedded. Not sure how this is possible, as the bedding process is one that transfers a thin layer of brake material to the rotor.
That's more to do with the pads going through a heat cycle. More commonly used for track or race pads where bedding can waste valuable testing time. Road pads on road cars need proper bedding to get the disc and pad in contact across their full area and get some pad transfer as you say. Heat cycling isn't so important for road pads as they aren't designed to get up to a high temerature in any case.

I tried a couple of days with the stock 20s and the PS4. While it wasn't terrible, the PS4 doesn't like to be abused at the track, plus they are way too expensive for track tires IMO. I should have kept the pressures up too as the PS4 doesnt really like to go under 35 psi or so.

I bought some 18" rims and run 275/35-18 Federal RSR for the track. It is a bit of a small fitment though, and probably reduces my top-end speed. I plan on something a bit closer to stock rolling diameter next round.
How do you like those tires? The feedback I've gotten from customers is that they are sticky and great value, but noisy!

How do you like those tires? The feedback I've gotten from customers is that they are sticky and great value, but noisy!
I think they are a great value, and probably will buy them again. They take a good bit of heat to get going, and are so noisy it is ridiculous especially when they are first mounted.

Still, for just under $700 per set, they are a great value for 6 or so track days at my speed.

• Informative
Reactions: gearchruncher
Brandishing? Like a pistol? I guess I should have read the original post but I have a problem with text walls.
I walked into AutoZone, menacingly holding a red Brembo caliper.

I saw the fear in the eyes of the young man at the parts counter. He quickly retreated behind the shelves and was gone for about two minutes. I expected the police to arrive, but instead the employee returned with a set of brake pads.

"No charge," he said.

I grabbed the box of pads and left. Yay for free stuff!

Thought id start by sharing something I recently learned through conversations with some other owners. I have had a tesla model 3 performance for about months now but I ALWAYS thought the brakes felt squishy and weak coming from a BMW m4 before. [...] In the service mode they will guide you with a step by step process of driving to 50 and stopping repeatedly until your brakes are good to go.

If you ever tracked your M4, you know that there are pad-specific pad bedding cycles that you go through. They vary a bit between different track pad compounds, but all focus around transferring an even layer of pad material onto the rotor surface.
This is WAY more important with track pads, but also when switching between pad compounds (track to street and back).
If you stay with whimpy stock OEM Tesla pads, I doubt pad bedding/burnishing will improve the results.
If you want better threshold braking, you need better pads.

I've given up attempting to turn TM3P into a track/autoX ride, and went back to driving my M3.
My wife is the one who is flogging the Model 3 now, and for her, stock pads seam to work ... for now.

I believe I last used my brakes maybe three weeks ago, when a stale yellow snuck up on me. Regen gets the job done!

If you drive like a eunuch - sure.
Good for you.

a

FWIW I've had multiple cars come in with lackluster brakes where burnishing the pads and rotors helped noticeably. In cases of people who don't drive aggressively there tends to be a buildup of corrosion on the rotor and pad surfaces which degrades the bite. Burnishing the brakes does help to remove this layer of corrosion which will improve brake pedal feel and responsiveness.

Alternatively, either run the Regen in "Low" once every few weeks for a drive cycle or go beat them up on the highway every once in a while to prevent this from becoming an issue.

Ultimately, I don't think this actually improves the brakes so much as it returns them to the "normal" baseline.

I burnished my brakes. I only heard about the burnish feature after I did them. I used track mode and turned off regen. They are burnished but I don't use them. I do try once a month or so to give them a solid squeeze and keep them clean and ready for when I need them.