Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading another thread about this, and someone said that having been rear ended he felt that the lack of rear brake lights when regen is a significant factor.

I've yet to pick my car up (next week hopefully), but what is the truth about the regen and lights? Someone said they don't come on under 10mph? Someone above has said they don't come on unless it's aggressive regen? WTF? How do you define aggressive??

It's not really any different/more risky than driving an ICE, and coasting to a stop or using engine braking without activating the brake lights. Both cars can/will decelerate slowly without turning on the brake lights.

Above some decelerating threshold, the Tesla will turn on the brake lights. In an ICE, you'd have to stop on the brakes to decelerate that hard, also turning on the brake lights.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I've been reading another thread about this, and someone said that having been rear ended he felt that the lack of rear brake lights when regen is a significant factor.
I've read some of those as well, and I call BS.
1. There is no lack of brake lights during regen if you are slowing down rapidly. (Note that rapid means about the same as normal non-emergency braking).

2. Having driven standard transmissions most of my life, where there is no brake light activity when slowing in gear, the only time I've been rear-ended is in a loaner automatic.

3. At 95K miles in my Model S, I've had no rear-ends or hearing people behind me pull an emergency stop.

I'd suggest that the brake lights on the Tesla are actually better in terms of activation than on most ICE cars because I see ICE drivers flick their brake lights on far more often when they aren't really slowing down. (Thera are also a fair number of people that drive with their left foot on the brakes so the lights are always on.)

IMHO, it's driving style that causes rear-end collisions.

Reactions: pilotSteve
(Thera are also a fair number of people that drive with their left foot on the brakes so the lights are always on.)
When I was learning to drive, my father passed down some advice from his father - imagine the stupidest thing another driver could do, and they will find a way to do something far stupider. If you're resting your left foot anywhere other than the dead pedal (the "storage spot" to the leftmost of the footwell), you probably have no business behind the wheel...

IMHO, it's driving style that causes rear-end collisions.
Or following driver stupidity/cluelessness (see above). I've been rear ended three times, all while sitting, stopped, at a traffic light (little, if any, damage all 3 times). Two of them happened when the drivers hit the gas when the light turned green, without noticing that the car in front of them still had their brake lights on and wasn't moving. I mean, really, why are you even looking at the traffic light if you aren't the first car in line?!?:mad:

I thought it was impossible to stop completely without using the brakes. So what's up here? Maybe on an (up)hill....
Yes, regen trails off a slow speeds. You need to use the brake to come to a complete stop (below ~5 mph).

>>And since I see no one has mentioned it yet, the car has an accelerometer device, which measures how forceful the slowing force is, which is what triggers the brake light from regen.<<

That's a really useful bit of information - thank you. Makes sense!

have you ever been behind a vehicle with a manual transmission? do you stare at the vehicle in front of yours rear end or do you look beyond it? just curious

I note your postscript:

>>This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.<<

You do know what they say about sarcasm?.....

But... to be serious: since they agreed to make red the colour of danger/stop over 100 years ago, one does actually remain aware of what is going on all around as well as being very aware of red lights. - without obsessing about the car in front.