Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Pads/Fluid for Track : How far to go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been dying to try laguna seca for years but my motorcycle never would have made the noise requirements (and I wasn't going to put the stock exhaust back on) I may have to drive down there for this. That would be an interesting road trip!

My first time at Laguna Seca was more than ten years ago when a pack of friends and I drove down seven cars from Seattle to attend a two-day event. Well worth the drive.

Reactions: stickman
I think Track Mode is about as good as they're going to get for a little while, without Track Mode you'd get power limiting on like the 2nd lap and it would be about 30-40% power loss after 2 laps (in a dual motor car, RWD heats up slower). Now with Track Mode, you can do ~3-4 fast laps before power loss and then its only about 10-20% of a loss.

Ambient temps this weekend were in the 70s, not too bad.

Looks like Track Mode is about to get better :)

https://electrek.co/2019/04/06/tesla-model-3-power-high-top-speed/

Reactions: beastmode13
Looking forward to Laguna Seca for sure. Since its right in my backyard I will certainly be there. Whether or not I get on track depends on finances. I trashed my P4S with the last 2 Buttonwillow events, so will need to get a set of dedicated rims and tires for track days, just can't afford these yet.

If nothing else, I am hoping to do a ride along with a some of the other fast drivers here and see how they are doing things.

Laguna Seca is a classic, and also a real deal race track unlike a club style track. Hopefully those with less track experience will dial it down a notch, as there's barriers everywhere around this track. I'd rather see no more Tesla contact the wall.

Anybody have recommendations for aftermarket shops in the PNW that will put in Castrol SRF? Tesla won't do it (I asked).

Almost any place could do it, but i'd suggest finding some type of "performance" shop that deals with aftermarket components and more track-ready cars. I think going with a higher end shop (normally) results in better quality work.

Someone like Group 2 in Seattle, for instance: BMW & Porsche Service, Repair & Performance Seattle | G2 Motorsports

Almost any place could do it, but i'd suggest finding some type of "performance" shop that deals with aftermarket components and more track-ready cars. I think going with a higher end shop (normally) results in better quality work.

Someone like Group 2 in Seattle, for instance: BMW & Porsche Service, Repair & Performance Seattle | G2 Motorsports

Group 2 was my go to shop 10yrs ago when I live up in the NW, glad they are still in biz. They used to held open houses and garage tours, there are a few crazy car collections in those unassuming warehouses around Group 2.

Reactions: is2scooby
I have my first track day with my P3D coming up on May 18. Looks like Unplugged is out of stock of the rear pads currently. Hopefully they will come back in soon. Planning to swap fluid for SRF, anything unique about brake bleeding on the 3 vs any other car?

Last edited:
Anybody have recommendations for aftermarket shops in the PNW that will put in Castrol SRF? Tesla won't do it (I asked).

Bonus: One that'll do steel brake lines.
Come over and we can flush our brakes together. It’s very easy, I have all the stuff. I’m serious, I need to flush anyway. DM me if interested. I have brake lines too but haven’t gotten around to putting them on. If you want a shop to put them on i’d call actuning. I was recommended them from my friend who instructs for a bunch of local clubs. I called them and they have not worked on a model 3 or at least hadn’t at that point, but were up for it.
Don’t forget your hockey pucks wherever you take it!!

Come over and we can flush our brakes together. It’s very easy, I have all the stuff. I’m serious, I need to flush anyway. DM me if interested. I have brake lines too but haven’t gotten around to putting them on. If you want a shop to put them on i’d call actuning. I was recommended them from my friend who instructs for a bunch of local clubs. I called them and they have not worked on a model 3 or at least hadn’t at that point, but were up for it.
Don’t forget your hockey pucks wherever you take it!!
Is it best practice to flush the brakes every time you pushed it really hard? Besides humidity is the pressure itself making the fluid less responsive?

Is it best practice to flush the brakes every time you pushed it really hard? Besides humidity is the pressure itself making the fluid less responsive?

The only real need to change the brake fluid comes when moisture is introduced into the system and the boiling point drops (which will naturally occur over time). For RBF600 or comparable you probably want to flush the brake fluid every six months or so (regardless of the amount of events you attend). With something like Castrol SRF, you have the advantage of only needing to flush the system every year.