Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake pads fused to discs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know what is used to detect wet brakes, but it is supposed to wipe them at some interval.
DA5423B5-2EF8-40D1-8A11-87B440B6E563.png

I don’t know what is used to detect wet brakes, but it is supposed to wipe them at some interval.View attachment 489084
I've got a BMW which has this feature. It never really worked that well and I'd find myself on a wet motorway sometimes hitting the brakes and not much happening, so I ended up swapping to cross drilled rotors whichsorted the issue. Hopefully, Telsa have implemented it better.

First time I ever hear about waging and driving. I wash my model 3 once every 2-3 months and never had that problem. Maybe because I don’t spray water on rotors and brakes? Now illl be more concerned to make sure it’s dry.

It's not the end of the world (normally, OP may beg to differ) and you will likely just hear a weird "crunch" type sound when you first press the accelerator after letting the car sit. You may have noticed something similar in LA after it rains when the brakes make a few squeaks, it's the same idea (minor corrosion of the pad surface).

Don't know if anyone had this problem but it was a bugger. Model 3P purchased Aug. 19. Washed my car, put it in the garage, went on 10 days trip, got home, car would not move!

Two tow trucks, multiple calls to Tesla (service center is a mile from my house but they wouldn't send mobile service). Finally, second tow guy puts skates on my rear wheels as I tried to (slowly) reverse out of the garage - nothing happened. He took those off the back and put them on the front tires and as I slowly tried to reverse we hear a pop and it luckily comes unstuck.

It seems all four pads were fused to the discs. He towed it to Service Center. They cleaned discs and it was ready to go in an hour. Tesla guy says "Don't wash your car and go on a 10 day trip." Yeah, my fault.
Yeap, rear pads fused to the rotor on one side while car was at body shop. They put car in reverse and pad broke and fell out on the ground.

...and you will likely just hear a weird "crunch" type sound when you first press the accelerator after letting the car sit. You may have noticed something similar in LA after it rains when the brakes make a few squeaks, it's the same idea (minor corrosion of the pad surface).
When I had some curb rash repaired on a wheel, the repair guy had me start and stop several times immediately after, with the first crunch being a little unsettling.

Done plenty of track days and never heard of this happening.

Agreed, i've come right off the track and let the rear brake engage without any problems on super hot brakes. Darn track mode doesn't let you engage tow mode to prevent brake engagement, so you have to choose between cooling the battery and motors by leaving Track Mode on OR not engaging the parking brake by turning Track Mode off (or i suppose sitting there in Drive for a while).