Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes are terrible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a 2018 model X with 112,000 km, started getting a grinding sound from the front right wheel. Took it to my brake shop as I could not get an appointment at TESLA for three weeks! The front brakes are shot already!
The technician surmised that due to dirt, salt and road debris buildup on the brakes, it caused them to hang up and prematurely where the pads down as well as the rotors.
I had the car in at the same shop 18 months earlier to inspect the brakes because every morning when I drove out of the garage I could hear rubbing sounds coming from the front wheels. At that time, the technician told me that due to the regenerative braking, the brakes weren’t being used enough and corrosion was building up on the discs. He recommended that I use the low regenerative mode so that I use the brakes more often, which would also keep the callipers free and moving.
At this most recent visit, he was shocked to see how quickly the brakes had deteriorated due to the dirt buildup. He believes that it’s a design flaw that does not deal with dirt and salt very well.
I noticed that in the Tesla manual, they do recommend that brakes are serviced every year in areas that use salt on the roads, unfortunately and to my fault, I ignored this advice.
It does make me question TESLA’s motive to design such a brake system when my 2017 Chevy Sierra went 165,000 km on one set of brakes and no problems.

Word to the wise, use your low regen mode, and if you operate your Tesla in an area with snow, ice, salt and sand on the roads or on dirt/gravel roads, get the brakes serviced once a year.

98B3CACA-9BD7-45B4-BE86-48170D389DB6.jpeg
116163CD-D7B8-4C8F-A8CF-870FAE39B767.jpeg
I serviced my brakes myself at 18000 miles and despite me noticing no impact to braking performance I thought I would clean them up and lubricate the pad bearing surfaces (not the pad surface or disc). There is nothing special about them if you are experienced with working on cars. Rears need the electronic handbrake sensor disconnecting after you put it into tow mode (warning car car roll away at this stage of wheels are not chocked. Here is a picture of the before and after sliding pins that the brake pads move on. One to the left has been cleaned up.

What was surprising to me is the surfaces that require movement were gummed up with pad material and road muck. The pads and disc had like new thickness.

After 2 years, 27,000 miles and no maintenance my caliper pins were ceased. Tesla cut them off and replaced under warranty.

Technician identified (rightly) that I needed 2x tyres (bald on the inside) and tracking. Not Tesla’s fault, I was happy to pay.

Very easy for me. Tyres weren’t ridiculously priced. Job done.

This is really interesting. I test drove LR AWD Model Y on 11 September 2022 and the brakes were amazing. The Model Y I picked up on 23 December 2022 has awful brakes but I can't work out how much effort the brakes are making after the regen steps in. At 30 mph it is impossible to carry out an emergency stop. I assume the Performance has an even stonger acceleration which would make it even more challenging to stop. My understanding is that the brakes are just like any ICE car so it could be a bleeding problem???

Brakes on my Model 3 LR feel terrible and inadequate. I’m used to BMW brakes which are very responsive and stop on a dime.

The Model 3 is objectively one of the worst braking vehicles on the market, and that’s from instrumented testing and before any further degradation in braking performance from corrosion build up or wet/cold brakes, etc.

For comparison the BMW i4 40 stops from 60 in 11x feet and the M50 does it in 10x feet. Most of their ICE models, including the big X5 and X7 stop in 100-120 feet. In fact most new ICE vehicles save for super economy cars and even big American SUVs and pickup trucks stop in less than 130 feet from 60. The Model 3 (non performance) does it in a very below average 13x feet. It’s comparable to the braking distance of the 9000lb Hummer EV. (Forgive the US figures since that’s where I’m from).

This is really interesting. I test drove LR AWD Model Y on 11 September 2022 and the brakes were amazing.The Model Y I picked up on 23 December 2022 has awful brakes but I can't work out how much effort the brakes are making after the regen steps in. At 30 mph it is impossible to carry out an emergency stop....

Are you actually pressing the brake pedal or just lifting off the accelerator? Lifting off the accelerator does not apply the brakes (yet, although some confusion over this functionality in a recent software update as to what is or is not covered by that update) and this time of year regen will likely be a little degraded over that in September which may explain the 'braking' differences that you re experiencing.

Brakes on my Model 3 LR feel terrible and inadequate. I’m used to BMW brakes which are very responsive and stop on a dime.

The Model 3 is objectively one of the worst braking vehicles on the market, and that’s from instrumented testing and before any further degradation in braking performance from corrosion build up or wet/cold brakes, etc.

For comparison the BMW i4 40 stops from 60 in 11x feet and the M50 does it in 10x feet. Most of their ICE models, including the big X5 and X7 stop in 100-120 feet. In fact most new ICE vehicles save for super economy cars and even big American SUVs and pickup trucks stop in less than 130 feet from 60. The Model 3 (non performance) does it in a very below average 13x feet. It’s comparable to the braking distance of the 9000lb Hummer EV. (Forgive the US figures since that’s where I’m from).
Watch this and learn something