Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new 03/23 build, window roll up and back down problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery first day and passenger window will roll up and then back down 10%. Car passes calibration test 8/10 times. Car reports obstruction of window.

1.Mobile service replaced regulator. Didn’t help.
2. Problem is worse if the window is left cracked open for long and the rubber door seal is allowed to expand further from its natural crushed state when the window is closed.
3. Irvine service center had car overnight and then adjusted glass and door. My door is now 1-2mm protruding than the rear passenger door. But only at the top, the middle is still flush.
During vehicle delivery, a service guy was sitting in my car and reproduced the problem. Then he pushed the window outward with his finger while he rolled it up and it worked. So this corroborates the fix as the window/door probably need to be pushed out just a hair.
4. Problem is now a lot better but not 100% fixed.

My friend also had the same issue but on the drivers’ side window.

At this point, I think I will let the car “break-in” and maybe the door seal just needs to loosen and soften. I feel like taking into service center multiple times for this will just keep fing things up.
This was happening on my front passenger side window. Three mobile tech visits, replaced the motor, the regulator and made adjustments. Problem persisted, and last tech said to make an appointment to take to service center. Did so and service center replaced the glass window and the problem disappeared. No problems since.

Reactions: sfRonH
Problem closing driver's window on our 2022 MYLR started after NHTSA pinch update. Mobile tech came out and replaced window motor, but it did not fix the problem. Window calibration no help. Tech said that A-pillar is obstructing window closure and that body adjustments at Service Center would be needed to correct problem. I made a service appointment but I'm concerned that door adjustments might introduce air/water leaks.

Noticed that with latest update (2023.20.9), if window goes up and then back down, a message appears that Obstruction Override can be accomplished by pulling the window switch up and holding it up until window closes. Undecided whether to cancel the appointment or not. Don't want to end up trading one problem for another.
Update: Problem solved by door adjustment. The door now sticks out approximately 1mm (0.04") at the top.

So I figured mine out as well. Will post here for future users lol

I wash my car every couple weeks and I usually wipe the seals down with like 303 or something along those lines. Well that product works great, maybe too great in this case. It causes the seals to fill back out fully to basically a brand new status.

So the way the pinch detector sensor/window obstruction error works is based on resistance to the window motor. So if you have any window that’s sort of a tight close with the door seals/weather strip wiping them with something like 303 will expand it back to protruding just enough where it provides enough resistance to the window that it thinks something is in the way. Once you use door for a week or two the seal begins regaining its “used” shape again allowing less resistance and the window to go back up without tripping the window motor into thinking it’s blocked.

My front passenger is the only one this happened to as well. Hopefully they update the obstruction resistance settings a hair in a software update to alleviate this. But I know it’s some sort of safety regulation so not sure how that works if they’re allowed

Hello, I've had 3 service visits to fix my windows, and yet again, on a rainy day when parked outside, I returned to the car to find the front passenger window down, and of course the interior was quite wet.

I've booked a 4th service visit, and this time if the problem recurs I plan to proceed with arbitration, or pursuing my rights under the CA Lemon Law. Anyone else go to these (extreme) measures and have any feedback?

Hello, I've had 3 service visits to fix my windows, and yet again, on a rainy day when parked outside, I returned to the car to find the front passenger window down, and of course the interior was quite wet.

I've booked a 4th service visit, and this time if the problem recurs I plan to proceed with arbitration, or pursuing my rights under the CA Lemon Law. Anyone else go to these (extreme) measures and have any feedback?
What did they do in your prior service visits?

The only permanent fix that has worked for me is the door frame adjustment. They will push the door out 1-2mm. That will then allow the window to seat correctly when it goes up. All I hear now is a beautiful “thunk” when the window rolls up and bottoms out and hits the frame.

The downside is this misalignment is noticeable to anyone with has OCD. Honestly it doesn’t bother me that much any more.

What did they do in your prior service visits?
- Recalibrate twice.
- Remove and replace Window Regulator, mechanism and motor, for both front windows
- Today: Recalibrate again. And said it was "user error" per their check of the car's logs. But they couldn't provide any details of that finding.
Repair Notes: Technician performed window calibration, verified that the window fitment falls within specifications, and tested with winds speeds of over 100+ MPH to verify air tight seal. Unable to verify customer concern of window rolling down itself without any user input. Vehicle operating as designed

- Recalibrate twice.
- Remove and replace Window Regulator, mechanism and motor, for both front windows
- Today: Recalibrate again. And said it was "user error" per their check of the car's logs. But they couldn't provide any details of that finding.
Repair Notes: Technician performed window calibration, verified that the window fitment falls within specifications, and tested with winds speeds of over 100+ MPH to verify air tight seal. Unable to verify customer concern of window rolling down itself without any user input. Vehicle operating as designed
Whatever they did, I hope it works for you. In addition to what you mention that they’ve done with your car, for mine, they replaced the window, and that seemed to have done the trick. Just FYI.

Reactions: sfRonH
Whatever they did, I hope it works for you. In addition to what you mention that they’ve done with your car, for mine, they replaced the window, and that seemed to have done the trick. Just FYI.
Thank you, JKad! How long has it been without a window problem? One challenge is that the 2 times the window opened in the rain were about 11 months apart. It's hard to push for a new solution with that time interval. They seem to always want to recalibrate (and blame the user).

Oh, also a bit "funny", the staff person told me that research by the technicians showed the window was left open by the user. But when I asked for more details, and an image of this, they had no more info to provide and said twice that they would not release "internal information".

Thank you, JKad! How long has it been without a window problem? One challenge is that the 2 times the window opened in the rain were about 11 months apart. It's hard to push for a new solution with that time interval. They seem to always want to recalibrate (and blame the user).

Oh, also a bit "funny", the staff person told me that research by the technicians showed the window was left open by the user. But when I asked for more details, and an image of this, they had no more info to provide and said twice that they would not release "internal information".
It has been probably six months since we had had the issue. I think there’s been lots of pressure to reduce cost at the service level. Certainly not good for customer satisfaction. Good luck. Keep us posted.

It has been probably six months since we had had the issue. I think there’s been lots of pressure to reduce cost at the service level. Certainly not good for customer satisfaction. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Update: yesterday, the day after my service center visit, once again the front passenger side window opened fully, on its own. I am sad, but not surprised, that the problem still occurs. I am very glad that it happened right away, so I can immediately follow-up. Last time the recurrence was 11 months following a fix. This makes it all more real and believable, as if I need to prove the issue and can not be trusted. It also makes it clear that yet another recalibration had no positive impact.

I have booked yet another service visit, and will concurrently file a request for arbitration, a procedure that's part of the process to resolve issues under the California Lemon Law. That process is not particularly promising, because even if I "win", that would mean either 1) taking a replacement car, or 2) getting a large sum of money back in exchange for my car. 1) I have little reason to believe the new car won't have its own set of problems. And what if they give me a newer car with no stalks and no Lidar? 2) I have no other car to fall back on. I'd be on the market for a new car, with presumably less cash than before, and carless in the process.

One day at a time.

Update: yesterday, the day after my service center visit, once again the front passenger side window opened fully, on its own. I am sad, but not surprised, that the problem still occurs. I am very glad that it happened right away, so I can immediately follow-up. Last time the recurrence was 11 months following a fix. This makes it all more real and believable, as if I need to prove the issue and can not be trusted. It also makes it clear that yet another recalibration had no positive impact.

I have booked yet another service visit, and will concurrently file a request for arbitration, a procedure that's part of the process to resolve issues under the California Lemon Law. That process is not particularly promising, because even if I "win", that would mean either 1) taking a replacement car, or 2) getting a large sum of money back in exchange for my car. 1) I have little reason to believe the new car won't have its own set of problems. And what if they give me a newer car with no stalks and no Lidar? 2) I have no other car to fall back on. I'd be on the market for a new car, with presumably less cash than before, and carless in the process.

One day at a time.
How about an update?

How about an update?
Sorry for the silence. I had another service visit, and this time they removed and replaced the Driver Window Switch, and "applied hydrophobic coating to door windows". No recurrences since. But, previously, the recurrence was 11 months after a fix. I decided not to go through with arbitration (very much out of laziness and not wanting to stress about this problem, and not knowing for sure if the problem has been solved).

With more EV's hitting the market, even though in the past I've always kept my cars for many years, I'm thinking that in a year or two, if another manufacturer has an EV big enough to hold 2 bicycles and it sounds good, I may just replace this Tesla. I have my eye on a Volvo and a Honda.

Sorry for the silence. I had another service visit, and this time they removed and replaced the Driver Window Switch, and "applied hydrophobic coating to door windows". No recurrences since. But, previously, the recurrence was 11 months after a fix. I decided not to go through with arbitration (very much out of laziness and not wanting to stress about this problem, and not knowing for sure if the problem has been solved).
Hopefully this is a long-term fix for you. I can understand the frustration.