Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new 03/23 build, window roll up and back down problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery first day and passenger window will roll up and then back down 10%. Car passes calibration test 8/10 times. Car reports obstruction of window.

1.Mobile service replaced regulator. Didn’t help.
2. Problem is worse if the window is left cracked open for long and the rubber door seal is allowed to expand further from its natural crushed state when the window is closed.
3. Irvine service center had car overnight and then adjusted glass and door. My door is now 1-2mm protruding than the rear passenger door. But only at the top, the middle is still flush.
During vehicle delivery, a service guy was sitting in my car and reproduced the problem. Then he pushed the window outward with his finger while he rolled it up and it worked. So this corroborates the fix as the window/door probably need to be pushed out just a hair.
4. Problem is now a lot better but not 100% fixed.

My friend also had the same issue but on the drivers’ side window.

At this point, I think I will let the car “break-in” and maybe the door seal just needs to loosen and soften. I feel like taking into service center multiple times for this will just keep fing things up.

Reactions: sfRonH
I had this issue on my newly delivered model y.
Fixed it by doing this calibration to the window:

A) Click the window rocker button to roll it up (you'll probably get the error)
B) Click the window rocker button Roll it down all the way
C) Pull back on the rocker button and hold to roll it up... continue holding it for 30 seconds even after the window has rolled all the way up
D) Push forward on the rocker button to roll it down all the way, continue holding it for 30 seconds even after the window has rolled all the way down.

Once you've followed those steps, your window should hopefully be calibrated and work normally.

Reactions: whisperingshad
I had this since the update for the window pressure/NTSA “fix”. I figured it was the pressure adjustment? I’ve recalibrated multiple times and it happens occasionally still. Seemed to get better with 6.9 but who knows? I’ve had the car for 8 mos and never had this issue until the NTSA fix.

Reactions: richyrich
I had this problem on my front passenger window and was able to fix it with help from this video:
Thanks for the thoughtful video. It’s a shame that there is a need for this hoopla. I, like others have said, have had several service appointments and the problem continued to recur. It hasn’t recurred in a while now. I would like my $60k car to operate as well as my prior Prius but it is fully unreliable.

i had the same issue. Window glass was misaligned. The tech could not duplicate the issue but he disassembled the door anyway and visually verified the misalignment. 30 min fix and no issue. Calibration or mobile tech wont work. I fixed at Tesla at Smithtown NY.

Took delivery first day and passenger window will roll up and then back down 10%. Car passes calibration test 8/10 times. Car reports obstruction of window.

2. Problem is worse if the window is left cracked open for long and the rubber door seal is allowed to expand further from its natural crushed state when the window is closed.
3. Irvine service center had car overnight and then adjusted glass and door. My door is now 1-2mm protruding than the rear passenger door. But only at the top, the middle is still flush.
During vehicle delivery, a service guy was sitting in my car and reproduced the problem. Then he pushed the window outward with his finger while he rolled it up and it worked. So this corroborates the fix as the window/door probably need to be pushed out just a hair.

At this point, I think I will let the car “break-in” and maybe the door seal just needs to loosen and soften. I feel like taking into service center multiple times for this will just keep fing things up.
Had 5 service attempts before it was fixed about a week ago, No issues since. For me, It ended up being a misalignment with the door. Now my driver door panel isnt completely flush to the passenger panel. Prior to figuring that out, the lining, motor, actuator and glass were replaced.

• Helpful
Reactions: sfRonH
My car does the same thing sometimes. Back window shows it’s open although it’s closed. Or the driver window rolls down a little sometimes. Only way to roll it back up is press the window control up for couple seconds.

I have had Tech out for the RF window twice now. First time adjusted window to reduce pressure on the glass and calibrated it. Problem continued. Second Tech came out and didn't realize it had already been looked at and suggested next time it happens I open the door and try the window to see if it will go up. It did.
Suggestion is to have next service visit replace the door seal to reduce pressure on window. Waiting for 3rd service visit. Difficult problem as won't do it while tech is here but I did show them video of the problem. Seems to happen mainly when in bright sunlight in the middle of the day.

Problem closing driver's window on our 2022 MYLR started after NHTSA pinch update. Mobile tech came out and replaced window motor, but it did not fix the problem. Window calibration no help. Tech said that A-pillar is obstructing window closure and that body adjustments at Service Center would be needed to correct problem. I made a service appointment but I'm concerned that door adjustments might introduce air/water leaks.

Noticed that with latest update (2023.20.9), if window goes up and then back down, a message appears that Obstruction Override can be accomplished by pulling the window switch up and holding it up until window closes. Undecided whether to cancel the appointment or not. Don't want to end up trading one problem for another.

I had the same issues and the tech came to my house and adjusted the door. My driver window roll up and roll down. Then sometime it showed back window was rolled down up it was closed. That was correct with an update. B

But the door was adjusted

I have done the single window calibration multiple times and never solved it. Tried the service menu calibration (even though it said calibrated) and so far it hasn’t done it again, and it did it (rolled back down after full pull up) just before the calibration so fingers crossed.

I have had Tech out for the RF window twice now. First time adjusted window to reduce pressure on the glass and calibrated it. Problem continued. Second Tech came out and didn't realize it had already been looked at and suggested next time it happens I open the door and try the window to see if it will go up. It did.
Suggestion is to have next service visit replace the door seal to reduce pressure on window. Waiting for 3rd service visit. Difficult problem as won't do it while tech is here but I did show them video of the problem. Seems to happen mainly when in bright sunlight in the middle of the day.
Did the third visit fix it or what ended up happening?

Did you ever get this resolved? Think I’m experiencing the same thing. I can see the a pillar protruding a bit and wondering if that’s causing it and if so if it’s even worth the headache of having them try to align it