Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new Model Y no heat!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like I am one of the luck ones.....:oops:. We just picked up the wife’s brand new Model Y on Wednesday and today (Friday) she experienced the heat system not working. She had a 45 minute drive home with my two kids (6 and 10) in 5 degree F weather with the vents blowing ice cold air.

Not cool Tesla. I had heard about the sensor issue before ordering but figured they had it straightened out by now. It had the tell-tale fault message on the climate controls:

418835FD-5F10-465A-8C2F-9619446A387B.jpeg

So it sounds like a sensor needs to be replaced. Does anyone know if mobile service can perform the fix? Also, I have heard that the sensor is backordered and could take weeks to come in. Any info from anyone who has been through the process would be helpful.

Wife is pretty disappointed after only having the car two days :(. My 2018 Model 3 has been bulletproof.

Looks like I am one of the luck ones.....:oops:. We just picked up the wife’s brand new Model Y on Wednesday and today (Friday) she experienced the heat system not working. She had a 45 minute drive home with my two kids (6 and 10) in 5 degree F weather with the vents blowing ice cold air.

Not cool Tesla. I had heard about the sensor issue before ordering but figured they had it straightened out by now. It had the tell-tale fault message on the climate controls:

View attachment 636272

So it sounds like a sensor needs to be replaced. Does anyone know if mobile service can perform the fix? Also, I have heard that the sensor is backordered and could take weeks to come in. Any info from anyone who has been through the process would be helpful.

Wife is pretty disappointed after only having the car two days :(. My 2018 Model 3 has been bulletproof.

Sorry about this happening. It’s one of my biggest concerns right now especially given its 9 degrees in Denver right now and the safety of my 2 young children. Curious what your VIN range is? I’m picking mine up Monday so not far off from yours.

I’m also with WiseShepard and contemplating a cancel or at least holding for a few more months. The fact is, this is a safety issue and it’s mind blowing to continue to see the defensive and outrageous comments that comes when any poster/owner tries to bring this to light. Honestly, this is a recall situation 100%

I don’t know, maybe people in warmer climates just don’t understand the severity of this happening, especially in inclement weather.

Sorry about this happening. It’s one of my biggest concerns right now especially given its 9 degrees in Denver right now and the safety of my 2 young children. Curious what your VIN range is? I’m picking mine up Monday so not far off from yours.

I’m also with WiseShepard and contemplating a cancel or at least holding for a few more months. The fact is, this is a safety issue and it’s mind blowing to continue to see the defensive and outrageous comments that comes when any poster/owner tries to bring this to light. Honestly, this is a recall situation 100%

I don’t know, maybe people in warmer climates just don’t understand the severity of this happening, especially in inclement weather.

Vin 108xxx. Build date was 1/25. Yeah this is nothing to be dismissive about. Luckily there are heated seats which help a little but the car never got above 32 degrees their entire ride home. My daughter is still in a booster seat so the heated seat is worthless.

This is serious item that has the potential to tarnish the brand if they don’t get ahead of this.

Mine failed this week. I took the car in and they replaced the high pressure and low pressure sensors. Picked the car up and on the way home it was blasting cold air again. This is frustrating. Now I need to book another appointment
Anybody knows what else it could be? What other part can they replace to solve it?

Reactions: Tim42069
Are folks reporting this to the NHTSA??? I would. That's probably the only way to get Tesla's attention.

We have some ZERO degree temps coming up later this week and I plan on taking our Y out to see how it performs on a simulated "road trip" I have some FREE SC miles I need to use before they expire. I want to know how it behaves in really cold temps. So far I've been very happy with the HVAC and Heat Pump/Octovalve.

But you can't test this new technology too much.

Are folks reporting this to the NHTSA??? I would. That's probably the only way to get Tesla's attention.

We have some ZERO degree temps coming up later this week and I plan on taking our Y out to see how it performs on a simulated "road trip" I have some FREE SC miles I need to use before they expire. I want to know how it behaves in really cold temps. So far I've been very happy with the HVAC and Heat Pump/Octovalve.

But you can't test this new technology too much.

Keep us Posted! BTW, I am close by in Swansea.

SubHuman: No need to have started another thread. Having several threads on the same issue complicates how we can keep tabs on how many HVAC systems are failing, and can give the impression that the problem is more widespread than it is.

you do realize that using forum posts of members registered to a site is not a good source to develop overall metrics on a...

actually..nevermind.

This isn’t a misaligned trim piece or body panel issue. This is no heat in below zero weather which can be deadly.

I saw the rumblings of this issue throughout the forum and some of the YouTube videos and thought to myself that this is a severe enough issue that it should be resolved quickly that there is no way are they still delivering new cars with faulty sensors.

I rolled the dice and was wrong. Had I known i would encounter this issue, I would have absolutely delayed ordering until I knew it was fixed.

SubHuman: No need to have started another thread. Having several threads on the same issue complicates how we can keep tabs on how many HVAC systems are failing, and can give the impression that the problem is more widespread than it is.

Yeah, I agree about starting a new thread. I couldn’t find the other thread when I made my original post as it was buried in the user interface subsection. Mod feel free to move my thread. However this is an important enough issue that it should not be buried in a subsection IMO.

The consumer has NO IDEA what Tesla is doing/has done to remediate that problem. Is the design itself too complex, and therefore forever prone to failure? Is the manufacturer of the sensors making faulty sensors?

So many unknowns. In a perfect (?) world, Tesla would recall ALL Model Ys and replace ALL the sensors. It just doesn't work that way, though. The replacement sensors may have a similar failure rate.

The ONLY thing Tesla could do to stop the HVAC failures is to stop selling the Model Y until they figure it out. Uhh...that's not going to happen. Massive layoffs across the board.

I may be naive, but IMHO, Tesla is trying to work this out. As I said earlier, they may very well have chosen an unsupportable design with the "octovalve." Only time will tell.

Yeah, I agree about starting a new thread. I couldn’t find the other thread when I made my original post as it was buried in the user interface subsection. Mod feel free to move my thread. However this is an important enough issue that it should not be buried in a subsection IMO.

Very good point. That's the problem with most threads...critical information gets buried in multiple posts.

Combining the posts is a real nightmare, and probably will never happen.

Hopefully, a moderator will agree that the severity of this issue deserves its own stickie. I'd like to see a real POLL, to tabulate numbers, to settle the question of how many failures.

The consumer has NO IDEA what Tesla is doing/has done to remediate that problem. Is the design itself too complex, and therefore forever prone to failure? Is the manufacturer of the sensors making faulty sensors?

So many unknowns. In a perfect (?) world, Tesla would recall ALL Model Y’s and replace ALL the sensors. It just doesn't work that way, though. The replacement sensors may have a similar failure rate.

The ONLY thing Tesla could do to stop the HVAC failures is to stop selling the Model Y until they figure it out. Uhh...that's not going to happen. Massive layoffs across the board.

I may be naive, but IMHO, Tesla is trying to work this out. As I said earlier, they may very well have chosen an unsupportable design with the "octovalve." Only time will tell.

As a Tesla shareholder since 2013 and a multiple Tesla owner, I say with all conviction that yeah, maybe they should suspend sales of all Model Y until they figure it out. At the very least they shouldn’t have rolled it forward to the Model 3. The alternative is a mass recall of potentially millions of vehicles or even worse the death of some one.

There is a delivery tracker for folks who ordered MY. Perhaps a similar tracker can be created. It will help in understanding scope of the problem.

yesterday I took the car out with my kids. It was -9 outside and the interior temp was 17. Car warmed up in 20-25 minutes. It will be a relief for this winter winter to be over. My car is October build and November delivery. I hope that it will not have this problem.

There is a delivery tracker for folks who ordered MY. Perhaps a similar tracker can be created. It will help in understanding scope of the problem.

yesterday I took the car out with my kids. It was -9 outside and the interior temp was 17. Car warmed up in 20-25 minutes. It will be a relief for this winter winter to be over. My car is October build and November delivery. I hope that it will not have this problem.

Mine was a built 1/25 almost 3 months later.