Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new X owner, walk-away locks will not work..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys

love the car but bummed that when we exit the car and mirrors stay out (even though auto fold is enabled) and more importantly the car does not lock even though walk-away lock is enabled as well.

have tried a restart, refresh and even Tesla CS helped us online. It worked at first but now it's very random. sometimes it locks, sometimes it doesn't.. Sometimes I'll come in and check on the car in the morning and the running lights are on even. Could it be the proximity of the key fob?

we keep the key on a hook in the mudroom which is adjacent to the car.. still, with no one in the car, I would think the car would auto lock after a minute or so.

I have a Model S and walk away lock feature always has worked flawlessly..

anyone else encountered this? I have Tesla Mobile service coming next week but wonder if any of you have any suggestions?

I've also tried keeping the key fob in the kitchen farther from the garage, but the results are still random and non consistent..

frustrated but hopefully an easy fix..

thanks guys

Yes, the fob being so close to the car could be the issue. You could try storing it even farther away from the car than the kitchen. If that works, then you'd know it is a proximity issue. If you want to continue storing it in the mudroom, you might need to get a small metal box/Faraday cage to block the signal from the remote.

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
Yes, the fob being so close to the car could be the issue. You could try storing it even farther away from the car than the kitchen. If that works, then you'd know it is a proximity issue. If you want to continue storing it in the mudroom, you might need to get a small metal box/Faraday cage to block the signal from the remote.

Yep, even leaving the phone in the car (if phone is a key) will keep it from auto locking- I believe locking the doors manually, even with phone in the car will override auto proximity locks keeping the doors unlocked.

Model S and X don’t have phone-as-key (for now at least).
Although this is what they say in my experience the following happens:
  • Model X lock beep confirmation on.
  • Garage entrance is off our kitchen.
  • Key fob in the kitchen but away far enough that I get a confirmation beep for the lock after I exit.
  • I go upstairs to the bathroom with my cellphone.
  • Bathroom is above the garage.
  • Car randomly beeps lock confirmation sound indicating it is getting locked and unlocked as I move around the house with my cellphone.
We turned passive entry off because of this. We just double click the top of the fob to unlock. I’m now used to triple clicking when I exit to ensure I hear a beep. Just like a regular car. Maybe in a few software updates I’ll try passive entry again.

Although this is what they say in my experience the following happens:
  • Model X lock beep confirmation on.
  • Garage entrance is off our kitchen.
  • Key fob in the kitchen but away far enough that I get a confirmation beep for the lock after I exit.
  • I go upstairs to the bathroom with my cellphone.
  • Bathroom is above the garage.
  • Car randomly beeps lock confirmation sound indicating it is getting locked and unlocked as I move around the house with my cellphone.
We turned passive entry off because of this. We just double click the top of the fob to unlock. I’m now used to triple clicking when I exit to ensure I hear a beep. Just like a regular car. Maybe in a few software updates I’ll try passive entry again.

Try removing the battery from the keyfob and see if the phone will still unlock your car passively. My X is really sensitive to the keyfob but I’ve never seen it unlock with the phone. But maybe it’s a feature in the newest S and X.

thanks everyone for your replies. I think it's proximity to the key fob. Testing various distances with the key fob this morning we found if we keep it in the dining room, the car auto locks. Any closer and the doors unlock and remain unlocked even if you dont open the car doors.. they doors stay unlocked and fog lights stay on permanently if the key fob is too close even without a driver. This is kindofa bummer..

what confused me is that with my model S, the door handles will open and unlock if you walk next to the car, but if you dont open the car, the doors will automatically lock after about 30-40 seconds, no matter where the key fob is. I much prefer this over whatever protocol is now in the new model x..

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
[QUOTE="rnguy001, post: 3815009, member: 34395"...

what confused me is that with my model S, the door handles will open and unlock if you walk next to the car, but if you dont open the car, the doors will automatically lock after about 30-40 seconds, no matter where the key fob is. I much prefer this over whatever protocol is now in the new model x..[/QUOTE]

That's the way our MX (late 2017 build) works. Also, fob sensitivity range appears to be 15' or so - less if there's a wall between car and fob.

Yep, even leaving the phone in the car (if phone is a key) will keep it from auto locking- I believe locking the doors manually, even with phone in the car will override auto proximity locks keeping the doors unlocked.

Correction, leaving my phone (key: Model 3) in the car and manually locking the doors WILL NOT LOCK THE DOORS (when I get out of the car)..

Strange thing: anyone using the iPhone get the Apple Pay, double-click to pay, screen when getting into the car, placing the phone on the console?

Yeah, on my 2017 Model X, I just noticed that for the first time the other day. If I leave my iPhone in it and get out, it won't lock the doors. This car is so new to me, I don't even have it paired with the "My Tesla" app yet. Tesla still has me linked to my 2014 Model S I traded in. So it seems to be a feature that works only off the fact the phone is paired with the Model X via bluetooth.

I never had my iPhone jump to the Apple Pay screen just by putting it in the console though. I do have a 3rd. party "TopFit" branded tray in my center console though with an inductive phone charger built into it. So I always sit my phone on the pad on it.

thanks everyone for your replies. I think it's proximity to the key fob. Testing various distances with the key fob this morning we found if we keep it in the dining room, the car auto locks. Any closer and the doors unlock and remain unlocked even if you dont open the car doors.. they doors stay unlocked and fog lights stay on permanently if the key fob is too close even without a driver. This is kindofa bummer..

what confused me is that with my model S, the door handles will open and unlock if you walk next to the car, but if you dont open the car, the doors will automatically lock after about 30-40 seconds, no matter where the key fob is. I much prefer this over whatever protocol is now in the new model x..

I am pretty sure they changed the key communication mechanism in 2016 or 2017. They now use a recent version of Bluetooth LE (better encryption and range)