Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Breaking customer promises

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...The terms OP posted are clear as day...

Latest example: One owner wanted to upgrade to LTE and was caught off guard for $500, he said:

"you gave me a quote for 329 the other week, whats the change?"

That's how it clearly works in Tesla. You need to be fast to seal in the price of $329 (with no expiration date) or otherwise it might change and in this case yes, it's $500!

Last edited:
My final update on this matter: Its interesting to see the equally divided opinions from both sides.
I'm sure Tesla made certain they are legally completely in the clear, with policies that pricing, offers etc etc can change at will and without any notification etc etc. And as has become clear, Tesla certainly executes that right abundantly.

I just assumed a decent vendor would ensure their customers get a simple notice from their sales team, if an earlier made statement in a customer account would be withdrawn after a deadline. Had I received such a notice, I would at least be given an opportunity to act on it. Surely many will disagree with me and feel that a Tesla owner should pay close attention to all posts, forums and tweets. I don't do tweets, and only go to the forum for anything that is relevant for me. Maybe I am the exception, I don't know and I don't care. This morning I actually did sent a tweet to Elon to ask him to please make this right (my 2nd tweet I have ever sent).

Coincidence or not, but later today I got a call from the store manager, he informed me that the regional manager had brought my grievances up to Elon in person. Per the store manager: Elon didn't budge on my request. So now I know how things stand. It's not a matter that higher management doesn't know. They just don't care. I was presented with an "exclusive" gesture of goodwill to let me use 3 years of free supercharging ;) I typed "exclusive" because since I became more active on the forum due to this matter, I already knew that Tesla came with this 3 year compromise for everyone. I guess I must not have been the only one complaining about this...

I wish I had not even started to upgrade my current Tesla, as now I will always remember this massive disappointment that Elon/Tesla really don't care how a customer feels. Elon and Tesla were esteemed too high for me to expect otherwise.
So, I got rudely awaken out of my admiration for Tesla on customer treatment expectations.

We still need to get rid of gas/oil in the world, and I am aware my experience is a total luxury problem. I will keep driving an EV, but Tesla lost my loyalty. I noticed it at a social event this week, that for the 1st time ever, when asked about my car, I had lost my appetite to recommend this company.

...customer treatment expectations...

Tesla has been quite unique from the beginning.

Owners might need to be really motivated, active and timely if they want a Tesla.

As a matter of fact, some owners even brought doughnuts, pizza, treats, appreciation parties... for Tesla workers.

If that's not enough, some owners even volunteer for delivery hubs as well.

Some even bought Elon Musk a sleeping couch too. He's a billionaire so no, he doesn't need one.

But that's how owners you'll feel happier if they start to be active an get involved in lifting up Tesla instead of feeling disappointed about Tesla's promises.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
Free supercharging simply isn’t a sustainable business model.

The benefit to the customer is a couple dollars a month, but the cost to the company and the infrastructure is extreme.

They cannot sustain global range with charging stations anywhere you go if those chargers are being used by local daily users.

And they cannot sustain even those local daily users if no one is paying the bill for the equipment and electricity.

I am always surprised at people who expect this perk to continue, regardless of the costs and harm to the larger community.

Each if them is a selfish prick who only sees the issue from the point of view of their own privilege.

Each of you pricks expects all the other drivers to start paying and stop daily charging, but not you as well.

But that is not viable. None of you pricks is more special than any of the rest of us.

It’s everybody in or everybody out.

Last edited:
Free supercharging simply isn’t a sustainable business model.

The benefit to the customer is a couple dollars a month, but the cost to the company and the infrastructure is extreme.

They cannot sustain global range with charging stations anywhere you go if those chargers are being used by local daily users.

And they cannot sustain even those local daily users if no one is paying the bill for the equipment and electricity.

I am always surprised at people who expect this perk to continue, regardless of the costs and harm to the larger community.

Each if them is a selfish prick who only sees the issue from the point if view if their own privilege.

Each of you pricks expects all the other drivers to start paying and stop daily charging, but not you as well.

But that is not viable. None of you pricks is more special than any of the rest if us.

It’s everybody in or everybody out.
I agree. Too bad this post will be deleted or be relegated to the snippiness thread. I consider myself a fairly tough customer, but msvoyager is out of control. Some customers aren't worth keeping.

msvoyager is out of control.
Wow, that is a bit harsh... I am just pointing out that if a customer is promised something, it is reasonable to expect that promise is kept.
To put into perspective:
In a Tesla account that currently states " You have free unlimited supercharging, and if you sell you car that will transfer to the new owner"
Suppose that is silently changed after a year to "You have free unlimited supercharging, if you sell you car that will not transfer to the new owner". No email or notification to the owner.
So you bought a car, with the promise it would have free supercharging as an added value if you ever sell that car. That influences how attractive your car will be for a prospect buyer. But wait, oops... Tesla decided to change that policy.

OR: After one more year, the account text changes to "You have free unlimited supercharging until 2022, after that will be removed, and if you sell you car now, it will be immediately removed"

Would you be OK with that? Is that reasonable behavior of a company?

And before you say, you can afford it, and by paying you support the company and the planet.
Well, again I am already doing that by spending another 100k for a new Tesla, and by convincing 4 friends to do so too.
See, I just supported Tesla by bringing in half a million dollars worth of sales....

It's honestly hard for me to recommend Tesla.

I certainly recommend test driving it, and experiencing what it's like. But, I'm not going to go as far as to put my backing behind Tesla. I mostly just talk about how awesome EV's are, and let friend/family make their own decision as to what works for them.

The problem with Tesla is they make too many promises.

A lot of the time the promises themselves aren't very necessary.

Like the promise for free supercharging on a future Model S. Why? Why make an open ended promise like that?

Or the promise that all Tesla's are full self driving capable. Again, it's why make that promise?
Cmon now, Tesla isn't like your typical car dealer. Dealers are awful because they promise something and fail to deliver.

Wow, that is a bit harsh... I am just pointing out that if a customer is promised something, it is reasonable to expect that promise is kept.
To put into perspective:
In a Tesla account that currently states " You have free unlimited supercharging, and if you sell you car that will transfer to the new owner"
Suppose that is silently changed after a year to "You have free unlimited supercharging, if you sell you car that will not transfer to the new owner". No email or notification to the owner.
So you bought a car, with the promise it would have free supercharging as an added value if you ever sell that car. That influences how attractive your car will be for a prospect buyer. But wait, oops... Tesla decided to change that policy.

OR: After one more year, the account text changes to "You have free unlimited supercharging until 2022, after that will be removed, and if you sell you car now, it will be immediately removed"

Would you be OK with that? Is that reasonable behavior of a company?

And before you say, you can afford it, and by paying you support the company and the planet.
Well, again I am already doing that by spending another 100k for a new Tesla, and by convincing 4 friends to do so too.
See, I just supported Tesla by bringing in half a million dollars worth of sales....
I just don't see it as a lifetime offer like you do. When they started announcing the end of free Supercharging is when you should have started questioning whether their offer still stood. Did you get it in writing that it was a lifetime offer?

• Disagree
Reactions: jcasetnl

Do you see the above as no obligation from Tesla to honor that either then, and is OK to be withdrawn whenever Tesla chooses?

I agree that Tesla breaks promises. They promised me they would register my vehicle and they didn't. It says on their website that they will do it, but they didn't. But is it worth taking them to court? Nope. It just means that I won't refer people.

Likewise, my account says :

Supercharging
You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle as well as any new Model S or Model X purchased before January 31, 2018. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. In addition, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Read our Supercharging terms.​

Any normal reading of this would expect that the free Supercharging that I receive is the same as what would be given to my referred friends, especially since my verbiage differs from others' ; their's says "six months of free Supercharging" while mine says "free Supercharging".

However, the link to "Supercharging terms" does not go to a page about Supercharging, which one might expect, where it would explain idle fees etc, instead the link actually goes to "Referral Program" wherein it's clear that someone simply did a copy+paste to change "free Supercharging" with "free Supercharging for six months" because some sentences don't make much sense, such as "The six months of free Supercharging will only apply to the original vehicle owner and for the duration of original vehicle ownership."

I bet that if I referred anyone, they'd only get 6 months or free Supercharging, if ANY!! And that's why I won't refer anyone. I don't want to make claims or promises that Tesla won't keep.

So, how do they get away with all this? First, many owners are just loyal to Tesla no matter what. Second, many of us won't bother with taking it higher than it's worth. For instance, I would just do a quick calculation to determine how much Supercharging was worth to me and then ask for that much of a discount on the price and try to negotiate that or some other perk instead. Last, they have a legal team to help them get away with all the lies and broken promises. Here's the section of their legalese, buried deep in the back of the site, that is relevant:

No Warranties Or Representations

THE INFORMATION ON THESE INTERNET SITES IS PROVIDED BY TESLA, INC. "AS IS" AND TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, IS PROVIDED WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON INFRINGEMENT. WHILE THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IS BELIEVED TO BE ACCURATE, IT MAY INCLUDE ERRORS OR INACCURACIES.
Basically, everything on the Tesla website is just marketing. These aren't promises, they are marketing materials.

Do you see the above as no obligation from Tesla to honor that either then, and is OK to be withdrawn whenever Tesla chooses?
The FUSC stays with the car. Has Tesla changed that policy? Maybe they will in the future. They may have no legal obligation to keep that promise. I see that as a different situation than yours. You are expecting the FUSC to follow you forever.

they have a legal team to help them get away with all the lies and broken promises
Yes, that is so true. I just had not expected Tesla to thank me like that for being a loyal customer and helping generate $500.000 in sales.
Indeed, if I do the math, supercharging is meaningless for me. What bothers me how Tesla chooses to silently remove the text in My Account without any notification sent to me.

They may have no legal obligation to keep that promise. I see that as a different situation than yours.
Its indeed a different situation, but a comparable action: Tesla chooses to remove a feature from YOUR car if they feel like it.