Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Breaking News: Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Tesla re: FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The complaint alleges that since at least 2016, Tesla has misleadingly and deceptively marketed its supposed autopilot and full self-driving technology as either already fully functional or just around the corner. As Tesla states in a video first published on its website in October 2016 that purports to show a Tesla car driving itself:

The person in the driver’s seat is only there for legal reasons. He is not driving anything. The car is driving itself.”

The New York Times would later report that the video was doctored to exclude, among other things, the Tesla crashing into a barrier.

Hopefully work on FSD Beta will continue, as progress is being made. And as a bonus we'll all get our money back.
Yes. Except for (moderator edit) the usual Elon shills. I’m SURE they want no parts of this legal action and will refuse any/all settlement money that will arise out of this action.

And yes, I hope the work continues so that FSD can be "finished" by 12/31/2022 as stated by Elon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: am_dmd and sjg98
Briggs Matsko, the named plaintiff, said Tesla did this to "generate excitement" about its vehicles, attract investments, boost sales, avoid bankruptcy, drive up its stock price and become a "dominant player" in electric vehicles.

"Tesla has yet to produce anything even remotely approaching a fully self-driving car," Matsko said.

Briggs Matsko, the named plaintiff, said Tesla did this to "generate excitement" about its vehicles, attract investments, boost sales, avoid bankruptcy, drive up its stock price and become a "dominant player" in electric vehicles.

"Tesla has yet to produce anything even remotely approaching a fully self-driving car," Matsko said.

The complaint alleges that since at least 2016, Tesla has misleadingly and deceptively marketed its supposed autopilot and full self-driving technology as either already fully functional or just around the corner. As Tesla states in a video first published on its website in October 2016 that purports to show a Tesla car driving itself:

The person in the driver’s seat is only there for legal reasons. He is not driving anything. The car is driving itself.”

The New York Times would later report that the video was doctored to exclude, among other things, the Tesla crashing into a barrier.
Indeed! That exact video and feature promise is why I bought my 2016 S90D with “full self driving” included. In no way did I expect to still be waiting for delivery of that part of my purchase over 5 years later!

This is the first I heard that Tesla (allegedly) doctored a video for FSD and used said video on their website to promote FSD?

Is this really true?? Even I…have a hard time to believe that one

Then again…wasn’t there questions about a recent test and the software installed in the vehicle tested. Hmmmm

Yes. Except for EVNOW, and Knightshade and Sleepydoc and the usual Elon shills. Im SURE they want no parts of this legal action and will refuse any/all settlement money that will arise out of this action.
Hmmmm, I don't put labels on people. I find it interesting that several times on here when I say something positive about Telsa or the car, I am suddenly a shill. But when I criticize something, I am suddenly an EV hater. :oops:

Hmmmm, I don't put labels on people. I find it interesting that several times on here when I say something positive about Telsa or the car, I am suddenly a shill. But when I criticize something, I am suddenly an EV hater. :oops:
TMC, like many other segments of society, is polarizing. There are the shills, and the haters. The area in between those two is hotly contested and usually lumped into one or the other.

I have an excellent experience with FSD Beta. I've said repeatedly that 90% of the time it drives very well, and 10% of the time it tries to kill me. I pay close attention and intervene when necessary - reporting as I do. But because I don't have a terrible experience, and complain about every little hiccup, some think me a shill. On the flip side, there are people who have terrible experiences with the car, where it's the opposite of me - 10% of the time it drives very well and 90% of the time it's trying to kill them. That's their experience, and I don't begrudge them for voicing it. However, some think they are haters.

The truth always lies somewhere in the middle. People with absolutely terrible experiences, my guess is something is wrong with their cars. Either software issues with their model, or hardware issues (usually with their cameras). I feel bad for them, as they're not having a positive, or at least a reasonably positive, experience like I am. Hopefully their issues are resolved either with software updates, or they take it to service and have it repaired.

Some people just don't have room in their head for grey areas. :)

I have an excellent experience with FSD Beta. I've said repeatedly that 90% of the time it drives very well, and 10% of the time it tries to kill me. ...
This is exactly the problem with FSD. What people not in software don't realize is that even if you (optimistically IMO) believe that its 90% or even 95% of the way to 100% automation, that's only roughly half (likely less than half) of the total effort needed to achieve level 5. Elon pushing the robotaxi idea is at minimum a full decade early. Likely not even possible with the current hardware. This class action is probably only the first of many anti FSD lawsuits.

even if you (optimistically IMO) believe that its 90% or even 95% of the way to 100% automation, that's only roughly half [of the way there]
It's so, so, so much worse. Talking about "% of the time" is the worst possible metric because it betrays the implicit logarithmic nature of the statement.

Every 1 : 1,000 minutes the system fails: "This works 99.9% of the time."
Every 1: 100,000,000 minutes the system fails: "The system works 99.999999% of the time."

A <0.1% improvement means a 1,000x or 100,000% improvement.

Tesla says their drivers without autopilot are being involved in an accident every 2 million miles. If we assume half of the time they're at fault. That means Tesla humans make a fault every 4 million miles.

If we thought that FSD Beta was 10x less safe than a person that's the difference between FSD being 99.999975% reliable (Human) and 99.99975% reliable.

Likely FSD City Streets is probably at least 10,000x less safe than a human. Even if Tesla the distance between predicted accidents by 50% every 6 months...

log 10,000 / log 150% = 11 years.

(1.5^22.7 = 10,000)

Personally, I won't take the refund because I can't wait to see how Tesla plans to upgrade my car to stay up to date over the next 2-20 years for every necessary update.